The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2013, 09:11 PM   #51
Misssissippi Dave

One thing I have notice when using a vib. tumbler. You need to fill them at least half of what they are rated for or it takes a lot longer to clean the brass. Getting to big a tumbler is not always the best. My tumbler will hold around 600 .357 mag cases at a time. When I tried to clean only 100 cases it took a little over twice as long for them to get clean compared to filling it with 5-600 cases. It may be something to think about. I guess it wouldn't matter much if you just plan to let it run all night.
Old February 5, 2013, 09:30 PM   #52
cdbeagle

Do the tumblers really clean the brass or do you sometimes have to hand wash them?
Old February 5, 2013, 10:05 PM   #53
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

They clean and polish it if you use a polishing compound. They don't clean the inside unless you go wet and stainless steel in a rotary tumbler or ultrasonic.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; February 6, 2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:45 PM   #54
Misssissippi Dave

I don't worry about some light carbon residue inside the cases when I reload. I'm only loading pistol ammo. It has not made a difference to me. I do check to see if there is any thing else that might be inside. Using fine corncob (20/40) doen't leave anything that is not taken out by removing the primer. I like my cases clean on the outside. A little One Shot Case Lube does help to reduce the effort needed to resize the cases. I prefer to not have to clean the dies too often. Even using jacketed bullets I do need to clean the dies every so often. If I want really shinny brass I can just leave them in the tumbler over night. I can get the same results using a little brass polish (Dillon) and some NuFinish polish in the corncob. You do need to add them to the media without brass and let it run for several minutes to let it get mixed in. Once that is done you can add the brass. NuFinish will keep the brass looking nice for quite a while. I can't say if there is any improvement in the ammo other than looks.

I have put finished rounds in the tumbler when it had NuFinish in it for about 20 minutes and got brass that wouldn't tarnish for months. The main reason for putting them in there in the first place was to remove case lube. Rolling cases around in a towel will also remove the case lube.
Old February 5, 2013, 11:00 PM   #55
GTOne

Quote:
I am going to purchase a Lee Precision CLASSIC TURRET PRESS KIT
A very wise choice, there is no single stage or other brand of turret press that can touch the LCT, at any price.

I am using mine to load .223 right now(I also load 30-30, 9mm, and .45 acp), every time I load on this press it makes me grin, because it is so very capable and it costs so little.

At current ammo prices a session or two loading .223 pays for the press and most of the other stuff required.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:40 AM   #56
cdbeagle

Would this tumbler work? I like the idea of a rotary tumbler and using liquid.
http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-dr...ler-67632.html
Old February 6, 2013, 12:14 PM   #57
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It would work, functionally, but it doesn't look like it would hold many cases. You need stainless steel pins if you're going rotary.
Old February 6, 2013, 12:21 PM   #58
ScottRiqui

Quote:
They clean and polish it if you use a polishing compound. They don't clean the inside unless you go wet and stainless steel in a ovary tumbler or ultrasonic.
That just sounds painful...
Old February 6, 2013, 05:57 PM   #59
cdbeagle

Quote:
Quote:
They clean and polish it if you use a polishing compound. They don't clean the inside unless you go wet and stainless steel in a ovary tumbler or ultrasonic.
That just sounds painful...
I agree, plus it would probably tick off the babes.
Old February 6, 2013, 06:16 PM   #60
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Gotta love the automatic spell checker. Changes more correct words to incorrect words than it does incorrect spelling to correct.