The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 8, 2010, 07:59 PM   #1
SpcTomp

Survival Kit

Let me start by saying I am stationed in Alaska with the army. That being said many of what you think of when you say Alaska is correct, In winter it is dark for almost 20+ hrs a day and roads are extremely icy. And in my remote part of the area it is very possible that we get cut off. And when that happens as you can imagine, Panic and Chaos might not be far behind. So I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what would be good to have in a survival kit. I kind of know what I need to have to survive the cold and dark. I am more worried about if things go into a chaos kind of situation. Any suggestions?
Old July 9, 2010, 01:10 AM   #2
jgcoastie

This ain't New Orleans up here bud. I seriously doubt you'll need to make extensive preparations for a "chaos" situation. The only major natural disaster threat up here are tsunamis, and if you're that remote, you're probably too far inland to worry about it.

- Yes, it gets cold.
- Yes, it gets dark.
- Yes, heavy snowfall/icing in the interior can heavily restrict one's ability to travel.

Cold-weather gear: thermal underwear/long-handles, wool middle layer, Gore-Tex outer shell, gloves (waterproof is best), wool socks, Kamik boots with felt liners.

Dark gear: Flashlights in every vehicle. Flashlight on your person. A few flashlights scattered in easy-to-find locations throughout the house. Spare batteries for each light co-located with that light. Change out the batteries a couple times each year, whether they need it or not.

Winter travel gear: fresh anti-freeze, fresh/clean oils & fluids, snow brush/ice scraper, shovel, hatchet, jumper cables, tire chains that actually fit your vehicle, decent tires with ample tread remaining, keep a first-aid kit in each vehicle with a couple bottles of water & some granola bars. Road flares may come in handy if you're stranded as well.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old July 9, 2010, 06:57 AM   #3
shafter

I wouldn't worry about panic and chaos. I'm sure if your in the interior the folks nearby are probably used to being cut off from time to time. Aside from that I can only suggest that you seriously listen to the advice the Alaska members give you.
Old July 9, 2010, 07:31 AM   #4
Skans

I'd think you might want:
1. A generator.
2. A back-up generator
3. Lots of gas, LP, diesel or whatever the generator runs on
4. Lots of chopped and dried wood
5. Large caliber bolt-action rifle and at least 1000 rounds of ammo.
6. A good supply of Hot Chillies
7. Meat, cereal, butter, grain and canned foods.
8. Beer
9. Laptop with a good chess program and some other games on it
10. Lots of DVD's - makes good trading barter with the natives.

..............but what do I know, I spend all my time in Fla. and Ga. "Snow" is just the name of one of the Disney Characters.
Old July 9, 2010, 12:04 PM   #5
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck SpcTomp, and thank you for your service.

I personally believe anyone forced to spend a Winter in Alaska should be entitled to equal time in Hawaii .

But, as this is a firearms forum and T&T is restricted to defensive tactics, this one's off topic, and I gotta close it guys.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread