The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 14, 2008, 10:07 PM   #1
rbeach44

H&r Question

I own a .32 H&R breaktop...good shape, however the trigger will not return after each shot fired;I must manually move the trigger forward each time. Aside from this annoying problem it works fine.

My question, what causes this trigger issue and can it be fixed?
Old September 15, 2008, 03:18 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The trigger return spring is broken or missing. And the gun is worth very little. Now you have a problem.

There are replacement springs available from Wolff (www.gunsprings.com) but they are generic and will almost always require fitting. But working on those old guns is such a bear and eats up so much time that gunsmiths usually won't work on them because not many people will pay several times what a gun is worth to fix it.

If you can do it yourself, you can probably fix that old timer. If not, I suggest hanging it on the wall and buying a modern gun for shooting.

Jim
Old September 17, 2008, 03:35 PM   #3
rbeach44

HANG THE GUN ON THE WALL????? THAT'S JUST NOT RIGHT. JUST BECAUSE IT'S OLD DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOW IT DISRESPECT, THAT WOULD BE LIKE HANGING MY GRANDMOTHER ON THE WALL......

Seriously, I'll find a way to make it work...safely. And thank you for the link and comment. I had posted this same question on another forum and the trigger spring problem seems to be the concensus.

Thanks again.
Old September 17, 2008, 04:26 PM   #4
w_houle

:P That's just funny right there...
I have an H&R top break that does the same thing if I don't let off the trigger quickly enough. Try that and see if it helps
Old September 17, 2008, 04:43 PM   #5
Hawg

Might be just gunked up. If the spring is broken and you're good with your hands you might could make a spring for another purpose work in it.
Old September 17, 2008, 04:59 PM   #6
w_houle

Oh yeah, when you take it apart; don't forget the spring on the ratcet hand has an ear on it that you will fiddle with to get on the forward side to ride in a channel, otherwise you will end up breaking it. I ended up having to make another one out of a steel banding strap.
Old September 17, 2008, 09:51 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Well, it should not be necessary to make a spring, though it might be necessary to fit one. In addition to Wolff, Gun Parts has springs for most H&R models (www.gunpartscorp.com).

Jim
Old September 18, 2008, 12:18 PM   #8
woad_yurt

They aren't too difficult to fix and the springs are available new from Wolff. You'll probably have to file/grind it to make it shorter or narrower. Google Bill Goforth and ask him where you can get a schematic. He's the source of sources for old H&Rs and Iver Johnsons. I think Numrich has exploded diagrams right online. The part(s) plus s/h will cost less than $10.00. Fix it; I have one and they're cool guns. I even use it for carry occasionally.
Old September 21, 2008, 07:53 PM   #9
TEDDY

spring

those springs are a pain as they are music wire.the originals were V springs.I have an Iver Johnson target and tried a gun parts.thepart on trigger had burrs and jammed in.so you have to deburr as well as fit.
Old September 21, 2008, 09:07 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Some of Gun Parts' repro springs are wire, but Wolff springs are leaf springs. The problem with Wolff is that there is a minimum order (I think 5 or 10) springs, so the buyer may end up with more than he needs. On the other hand, since fitting can go wrong, maybe having a quantity might help. IIRC, they also have assortments.

Jim
Old September 23, 2008, 05:00 PM   #11
Tom2

I think mine is all pinned together. Isn't that sort of a pin in the ass to work on those because of that? Not like a gun assembled with screws. I guess that is how they helped keep costs down.