The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 18, 2008, 06:16 AM   #1
capinatl

Shattuck 12g

I've done as much research as I can about this gun given to me by my step-father 4 years ago, which was time consuming as it's not a popular collectable. I know it's not very valuable but I still have a few questions as I'm new to the game.

I was told this is a 12 guage single barrel, damascus barrel black powder shotgun. It appears to have a black finish on the barrel which is coming off. CS Shattuck is marked as well as "1813" on three places - no other marks to be seen.

1. Should it try to clean it up/restore it?
2. Is there somewhere that I can find the relevance of the 1813 stamp?
3. The firing pin is broken off - shouldn't I at least have that fixed (although I'll never shoot it).
4. The action opens by pulling the front trigger - was this ever common?

This is the information I've painstakingly compiled:

C.S. Shattuck Arms Co., Hatfield, Mass. (1878 to 1908)

In 1875 C.S. Shattuck and Andrew Hyde started a pistol manufacturing business in Springfield, Mass. In February of 1877, Andrew Hyde and Major Charles S. Shattuck brought their Springfield pistol manufacturing business to Hatfield and went into a partnership with Mrs. Mary D. Porter in the Thomas Meekin sawmill on Prospect St., formerly Crescent Pistol Co. est. 1874 (Shattuck possibly also had, concurrently or otherwise a gun shop on Bridge St. in Hatfield, dates unknown). In 1878 Mrs. Porter withdrew her partnership and the business was continued by Hyde and Shattuck. In 1880 Shattuck bought out Hyde and continued the factory alone, turning out many revolvers. Soon after he began to make single-barreled breech-loading shotguns, and then few years later double-barreled shotguns. Large quantities of both were made, averaging for a time 15,000 guns per year.

Gun shop image: http://www.zshare.net/image/18963571c0d4886e/

The gun shop was burned in 1881 and was immediately rebuilt on the same site. The manufacture of guns was abandoned in 1909. In 1910 the only arms being turned out was a new four-shot pistol*, but for how long is unknown.

Major Charles S. Shattuck served with the 6th Vermont Infantry in the Civil War and later lived on Main St. in Hatfield, Mass. He returned at least once to Vermont for a military reunion.

Shattuck was best known for inexpensive handguns and single barrel shotguns. Their single barrels are valued from $35 to $150, double barrels $100 to $400 depending on condition. The 8 bores may command more.

* “A History of Hatfield, Massachusetts” Daniel White Wells, Reuben Field Wells 1910
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shattuck12g.jpg (126.5 KB, 85 views)
Old September 18, 2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

CAPATL

I am working on a project titled

THE ILLUSTRATED ENCLYCLOPEDIA
OF
THE GUNS OF YESTERYEAR

Would you object if I used your photo and the information you have provided.

Harley
Old September 18, 2008, 02:41 PM   #3
capinatl

Of course not, thank you.

I'd be happy to offer you a better photo as I just threw that on the bed and snapped it. Just say the word.
Old September 18, 2008, 03:08 PM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Thank you for your quick response. If you could provide another photo that would be great.

I am attaching a portion of this project for your viewing. This project covers the old shotguns, European, and American, of Yesteryear.

Right now there are over 100 pages, put on disk, and in Power Point for viewing. They actually look and read better in the Power Point programing.

Your consideration on my behalf is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Harley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FRONT PAGE BOOK.jpg (137.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg FRONT PAGE BOOK-1.jpg (240.4 KB, 26 views)
Old September 18, 2008, 03:13 PM   #5
capinatl

Here are two. Let me know if you need something different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shattuck3.jpg (36.4 KB, 634 views)
File Type: jpg shattuck2.jpg (44.0 KB, 592 views)
Old September 18, 2008, 03:45 PM   #6
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

These are just great. Thanks.

As I look at this gun I seem to remember that J. Stevens (if my memory serves) had a shotgun very similar to this. As Crescent pistol company was mentioned, this could be a cross over from Crescent or J. Stevens. Stevens bough out Crescent. This is purely a guestimation, and will see what I can come up with. I will keep in touch.

You may want to post this in The Firearms Research section of also. Jim Keenan is a great sourse for this type of information.

Harley
Old September 18, 2008, 04:18 PM   #7
capinatl

Thank you, I will repost in that forum, and good luck with your book.
Old September 18, 2008, 10:34 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Do as you want, but permit me to note that many of those old guns had their firing pins removed or broken specifically so they COULD NOT be fired. Since you don't plan to shoot the gun (a good policy), I would leave it as is and not fix it. You may recognize the danger but someone coming along later might not and serious injury could result.

The "1813" might be a serial number, but is probably an assembly number, put on to keep fitted parts together during final polishing and finishing.

Jim