The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2007, 06:14 PM   #1
eon_shift

New Reloader looking for advice on 30-06

Im brand new to hunting and reloading and am looking for some advice on reloding components and tools could you guys help me out any advice would be appreciated.
Old April 16, 2007, 06:16 PM   #2
eon_shift

Ive looked into Lee products and was thinking of getting theyre hand press I would be loading for mostly hunting but also the occasional target shooting.
Old April 16, 2007, 07:40 PM   #3
rwilson452

I really wouldn't suggest the Lee hand press if you have any other options. for a low end price wise I would suggest the Lee anniversary kit. Read the sticky at the top of this forum. Then buy yourself a copy of, "The ABC's of Reloading" before you put your money down on any equipment.
Old April 16, 2007, 07:55 PM   #4
ConRich

+1 on the advice posted by rwilson452, buy the book FIRST, it will pay for itself on your first purchase of equipment.

Rich
Old April 16, 2007, 08:15 PM   #5
eon_shift

Any reasons against the hand press i just see it as a convenience so i dont have to build a bench.
Old April 16, 2007, 09:52 PM   #6
Randy_che

First, I have not used a Lee hand press, so take my opinion with that in mind.

To me, it doesn't look like the hand press will provide enough leverage to comfortably resize large rifle cases like the 30-06. If you were just planning on using it for seating bullets or decapping, or 38 special or other light duty, I would think it would work well. But the 30-06 can take some considerable force to do a full length resize, and I like a strong press with a good handle mounted to a sturdy bench for that duty.

Now, your next question will probably be along the lines of what kit to buy to get everything you need. My opinion is that you can assemble a really nice kit from eBay for a very reasonable price if you are careful about what you buy. In my opinion, no single vendor has been able to get everything right, so mixing and mathcing some items tends to work out better than buying the whole thing at once.

The Lee Anniversary Kit is very servicable, but you will likely end up buying some nicer stuff after a few months. I still have some parts to my Lee kit, and I really like the Lee dies. I am considering another press upgrade to the Lee Classic Cast Press. I currently have an old Rock Chucker, which is OK, but it spits primers during decapping and I have little patience for that. The RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure is nice. The RCBS 505 Scale is nice. The RCBS Powder Trickler is nice, but is nicer when the base is filled with lead. In general, RCBS makes nice stuff, and their customer service is truly top notch. I just don't like their die designs or the way their press flings primers at me and onto my floor.
Old April 16, 2007, 10:09 PM   #7
mrawesome22

The hand press will just leave you wanting a bench mounted press.
Old April 16, 2007, 10:18 PM   #8
elkman06

Welcome to the world of reloading. I currently use the rockchucker system from RCBS. I personally like the form and function of it with a couple exceptions. I do plan on buying an electronic scale at some point. Like a lot of things, some is good but more is better. I think I would really like a turret system to load more bullets faster. I'm doing one heck of a lot more shooting and my accuracy shows it. My loads are also evolving to be more accurate. I don't think twice about the shots I am taking in the field also.
elkman
Old April 17, 2007, 01:29 AM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...against the hand press..." Other than how fast you can load, there's nothing wrong with them. Unless you have a semi-auto. The Lee Loaders neck size only and semi's require full length resizing every time.
Don't use just the dippers without a scale either. The dippers can vary the charge, plus or minus, a full grain. They're not consistent enough for accurate loading. They're fine for getting close then finishing the charge with a trickler though.
Have a look at the RCBS Beginner's Kit. It gives you everything you need less dies and shell holder. It comes with a manual, but look into the Lyman manual too. Not that there's anything wrong with the Speer manual, I think it is, but you only get using Speer bullets. The Lyman book gives you more loads with more powders and bullets from multiple bullet makers. Mind you, you load for the bullet weight. Who made the bullet doesn't matter.
The .30-06 likes 165 grain bullets with IMR4064. IMR4064 gives more consistent accuracy than IMR4895 and the bullet will kill anything you care to hunt. Regular large rifle primers and whatever brass you have.