The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2007, 10:05 PM   #1
L_Killkenny

Reloading the .32 Mag

I went out today and shot up the last of the store bought ammo for the .32 mag today. After that I decided to try some reloading again. The RCBS dies worked flawlessly and I reloaded 5 test rounds using 2.6 gr of Tightgroup and the Meister 94 gr RNFP bullets. All of them functioned great and showed no signs of excess pressure. I wasn't all that happy with the groups though. I did have a couple questions:

Does anyone have a ballistics/reloading program? If so, what does it say about 94 gr lead and tightgroup? Info regarding using tightgroup and the .32 mag seems to be very limited and I wasn't able to find a published safe load for this particular combo anywhere. The 2.6 gr of tightgroup was really just an educated guess using data from other .32 mag/tightgroup loads. What does it say about velocity for this load?

Also, at what velocity do I have to worry about "striping" the lead bullets in the .32 mag? I know (ok, I think I know) that if you push the lead bullets to max I'm gonna be using lead remover by the gallon.

Thanks for the info,
CB
Old February 10, 2007, 10:42 PM   #2
DWARREN123

What firearm are you shooting? I have a Ruger SP-101 w/4" barrel that likes the jacketed rounds. Mine likes the heavy bullets (100 gr) pushed fast.
Old February 10, 2007, 10:56 PM   #3
L_Killkenny

Ruger Single-Six. I'd love to shoot jacketed but cost would kill me right now and I might do some CAS in the future. Right now the Meister hard cast's are running me $16/500.

CB
Old February 12, 2007, 12:38 AM   #4
amamnn

I've been loading my .32 HRM for some years now, and the my fav load is Unique with 100gr. Hornady XTPs. IMHO forget the lead and buy the XTPs. They're well worth the extra $$. For a lighter recoil, they make an 85 gr. if memory serves. Midway or Graf & sons has them on sale from time to time.
Old February 12, 2007, 08:42 AM   #5
pumpkinheaver

Lead bullets shoot fine in my 2 single sixes. I use the cheap swaged hornady SWC bullet for plinking loads. I put them over a dose of bullseye, don't know the charge, don't have my manuals if front of me.
Old February 13, 2007, 09:47 PM   #6
zymurgest

L_Killkenny

All I shoot is lead in my Ruger SSM6 (adj sights) and its one dandy little revolver. I think you have to match the hardness of the lead with the powder. I've not tried the Meister but I use Penn and Laser Cast (both hard cast) with slower powders and get good groups with no leading. I've come to believe the "Don't shoot lead over 900fps" is a mith. With soft lead it holds true but most of the lead out there is hard unless you cast your own, I don't.

Here's some of my favorites, all with Starline brass and CCI 500 primers

Penn 100g WC - 5.8g Alliant 2400 - 950fps

Penn 100g WC - 6.8g Lil'Gun - 1030fps

LaserCast 115g - 8.4g Lil'Gun - 1100fps (my fav)

I also shoot the Penn's 158 TC in my .357 at 1400fps with 2400 with no leading. Those XTP's are real nice but I sure don't want to plink with them.

Have fun.. but as always work up your loads !!!
Old February 14, 2007, 03:26 PM   #7
DWARREN123

My loads also used in a Marlin 1894CB rifle so I like the jacketed bullets better. I use Hornady 100 and 85 gr HP/XTP's. For revolver only, I have reloaded some Berry DEWC's and Hornady SWC's.
Both the revolver and rilfe like the 100 gr JHP's fast.
Hope you find a good cheap round.