The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2014, 08:49 AM   #26
Pond, James Pond

I understand the principle of the collets.

It is simply they have no benefit to me. I run a classic cast turret press and this hand held would be for back-up/occasional/garage-is-way-to-cold use.

If the handheld has a collet system so be it: it won't stop me buying one, but I will not be selling and replacing my existing press with a breech-lock one in order to convert to the collet method.

Quote:
then you simply screw any die you ever wish to use in to and out of this ONE single collet.
This would be the plan.
Old April 14, 2014, 10:49 PM   #27
BombthePeasants

James, you are describing my exact press situation. I use my Breech Lock Hand Press for light duty; mainly decapping range brass while watching the kids play, and for reloading .30-06 rounds when indoors. I use the Lee Classic Turret for crankin out .45Auto rounds. My Breech Lock Hand Press is the most used press by far, since it's so handy to take wherever, and resizing the large .30-06 cases is surprisingly easy to do! For the record, I did not buy any other collets.
Old April 14, 2014, 11:58 PM   #28
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
James, you are describing my exact press situation.
Good to know that my proposed idea has worked well for others. I am very tempted to go ahead with this. If nothing else for the mobility of it.
Old April 16, 2014, 08:43 AM   #29
Bezoar

the collet is really intended for someone with alot of calibers and money they want to reload.

If your trying to save space, teh only option you have is the lee hand press, the classic loader, or an lyman tong..
Old April 16, 2014, 02:19 PM   #30
filthy phil

Id use one to equip a helper to deprime, expand, and prolly crimp
Old May 16, 2014, 02:00 PM   #31
Pond, James Pond

Handpress ordered, together with the almost mythical .44Mag case length gauge and a Hornady trickler.

I won't see them for weeks though.

Sending them to my dad was cheaper by $23 than direct to me and as I don't actually need any of them right now, I am happy to wait but come July, when we meet up, I will be decapping on the balcony, with a cold one.
Old May 16, 2014, 10:41 PM   #32
chris in va

Just out of curiosity, where is the 'top of the Baltic stack' exactly?
Old May 17, 2014, 01:58 AM   #33
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, where is the 'top of the Baltic stack' exactly?
Northernmost Baltic State: Estonia.
Old July 8, 2014, 10:02 AM   #34
Pond, James Pond

The Hand-Press is in my.... hand!

I'm still on the road with 1200km to go, so I can only really look at it, but I have it now and I can start to think how it can work for me.

I also have my Hornady Trickler, so quicker charge weight dispensing, once combined with my PPM, coming to a reloading bench near me....
Old July 8, 2014, 11:59 AM   #35
lee n. field

Quote:
I also have my Hornady Trickler, so quicker charge weight dispensing
Powder tricklers don't make for quick powder charge measuring, they make for precise charges, used in conjunction with a scale.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 8, 2014, 12:36 PM   #36
reynolds357

I had one of Lee's hand presses and broke it. Piece of junk in my opinion. I guess it might be OK if you did not full length size too much on it.
Old July 11, 2014, 12:06 PM   #37
Marco Califo

I have a Lee hand press with the quick change bushings. I also have a Lyman turret press and a Redding single stage. The Lee hand press gets the most use by far. I load in batches, deprime many at one time, size (223) many at one time, etc. It is perfect for these steps and I can find my most comfortable seat to do it in.
True that 308 re-sizing is better done on the bench presses. But the hand press is very handy to have around. It is also portable.
I do dispense powder and seat bullets with the hand press too. I use a large plastic cutting board with a Lee PPM clamped to it, sit on the couch with it on my lap and the components within easy reach
The breech lock is handy, but if you prefer, you can simply leave the one that comes with it in place, and screw your dies in the regular way. Not really a big deal. I have a number of the bushings, but one is stuck tightly in the press, so I just screw the dies in. I usually do 200 to 1000 cases at a step/batch so I don't mind adjusting the dies each time. If you cannot adjust a die in a few seconds, that is not the presses fault.
Mine has not broken, but I do not hit it with a hammer either. Resizing cases will work your arms and pecs. Use a good lube.
I do not use Lee products exc;usively, but the hand press and PPM are the best value for my money of any reloading tools I have purchased.

Last edited by Marco Califo; July 11, 2014 at 12:16 PM.