The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 22, 2011, 06:50 PM   #1
Lucky 7

Just found a Rossi 720...

Wandered into my favorite LGS today and surprise a Rossi 720 for $225. The timing, trigger, and fit were good to go so I put it on layaway (will pick it up in 2 weeks).

I was wondering how people received this gun and how they hold up in the long term. Also, since I reload (and the .44Spl is an iconic reloader's cartridge) does anyone have pet loads for the .44 Special they would mind sharing?

Regards,
Lucky
-PMI Sgt. Hopkins, USMC
Old May 22, 2011, 06:51 PM   #2
8shot357

buy it
Old May 22, 2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Lucky 7

lol I put it on layaway and will have it the next paycheck (I know, a 25 yr old that never uses a credit card...CRAZY!).

Was just wondering how the samples of others have held up and what kind handloads people enjoy?

-Lucky
-PMI Sgt. Hopkins, USMC
Old May 22, 2011, 07:33 PM   #4
fastlead

I've had mine since they first came out. It shoots great for a 3 inch carry gun. 3 1/2 inches at 25 yds. have put about 700 rounds through it. Never any problem at all. Carry Hornady 200 gr. lead hollow point in it. Have shot plenty of reloads, also. Stay within the old standards as far as pressures go in this little piece. It is not a magnum. I would guess they are about a k-frame in size. If something were to happen to mine, I would be hot to find another one....Can't beat it for the money and they are a hell of a lot easier to shoot than a Bulldog. Feels much more like a real gun....John
Old May 22, 2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Lucky 7

Thanks for the insights fastlead. I figured it to be about K-Frame in size (and that should help in finding an iwb holster).

The only factory ammo I've found is Win Silver Tip 200gr JHP (for SD use), but the store has lead, casings, and a die set at the ready (to make noise/kill paper with).

If a decent rig can be found, it'll become my winter ccw (in place of my 3" GP100).

-Lucky
-PMI Sgt. Hopkins, USMC

Last edited by Lucky 7; May 23, 2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old May 22, 2011, 08:33 PM   #6
fastlead

Lucky:
I have been carrying mine since I got it. Has always been my favorite carry gun. Lots of firepower in such a small package. I use a Jackass rig and also a cross draw holster for it. The Silver Tips should be O.K. to use for carry ammo. There was a good article about the .44 spec. in a gun mag about 15 or so years ago. Ammo tested to see which lived up to the advertised velocity. The best ammo according to that article was the Hornady 200 LHP. Ran about 790 FPS from a 5 inch barrel. The others tested were more anemic. Some didn't even reach 700.
Old May 22, 2011, 08:50 PM   #7
tulsamal

A lot of the older .44 Special factory loads are too light for carry. Basically target loads. I could throw them about as fast as they fly. I reload for the cartridge and have a lot of choices. The two factory loads are use are the CorBon DPX 200 grain all copper JHP and the Speer Blazer Gold Dot. I use the Gold Dots around the farm when I need to kill a large animal with my Rossi 720. But my carry gun (S&W M296) has the CorBon loads in it. IMO that's the top semi-conventional .44 Special carry load.

Gregg
Old May 22, 2011, 11:12 PM   #8
Bart Noir

Lucky, are you getting the version with the non-fluted cylinder?

That's the one I prefer, just for looks. As it happened, the one I did buy (and eventually sold) had the fluted cylinder.

It was a solid gun in a fine caliber.

Bart Noir
Old May 23, 2011, 01:21 PM   #9
Lucky 7

Bart (btw is Bart Noir an homage to Guy Noir from Prairie Home Companion?),

Gun Details: The cylinder is fluted (though, I too, like the non-fluted), it's DAO and fixed sights.

Does anyone have insights as far as handloads in this particular firearm?

Regards,
Lucky
-PMI Sgt. Hopkins, USMC
Old May 23, 2011, 01:27 PM   #10
aarondhgraham

I'm not Bart, but,,,

Quote:
Bart (btw is Bart Noir an homage to Guy Noir from Prairie Home Companion?),
I would bet a shiny new .44 Mag HP that it's an homage to Black Bart.

Just guessing though,,,

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old May 23, 2011, 02:26 PM   #11
Lucky 7

Now we're betting .44 Mag rounds and I just got my 1st .44 (in Special, no less)? You have some sense of humor, Aarond...

Hadn't thought of that ole outlaw in a while. Good catch.

-Lucky
-PMI Sgt. Hopkins, USMC
Old May 24, 2011, 08:52 AM   #12
smee78

I have the adj sight model and really enjoy it. Feels great in the hand and is a pleasure to shoot. I use the Hornady 200grn rounds and am verry happy with it. I hope to start reloading for it in a few months. Be sure to include a range report and congrats on your purchase, also dont tear it up because Rossi wont fix it and does not have parts for it. When I bought mine from a friend it needed a front sight and No one had it. I did find one but it was a chore.
Old May 26, 2011, 09:03 AM   #13
Idahoser

if S&W had ever made a K-frame, 5-shot, 3" .44 Special, then that's what I would have. Since they didn't, the Rossi 720 is my favorite handgun to shoot.

Those 'third tier' companies with names like Taurus, Charter, Rossi, etc. have been through many changes over the years. The good ones are frankly the minority, but you've found one of them. Taurus bought Rossi, but your 720 is too old for support, there isn't any. So find a second one for a backup, that's what I did.

I have and enjoy S&Ws (finally got rid of the last one with that blasted lawyer lock) and I have and enjoy .357s and several other calibers... but that .44 Special in the Rossi 720 is just ...special.

Use cheap range reloads for shooting and Silvertips for carry.
Old May 28, 2011, 11:59 AM   #14
Lucky 7

Idahoser
I roll my own so there's the range rounds, however, I've read conflicting reports on the Silvertips (mostly that they're loaded to bunny fart velocities). A local shop has FTXs so I'm going to go that route.

Regards,
Lucky
-PMI Sgt. Hopkins, USMC
Old May 28, 2011, 08:29 PM   #15
8shot357

Quote:
(mostly that they're loaded to bunny fart velocities).
Ha Ha, you said fart. LOL I heard mouse fart.