The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 16, 2011, 06:23 AM   #1
speedyjerry

Your State Laws?

If I read things right here some states BAN Assault Rifles and certain magazines? Bummer!

Raised in Florida I find this very sad and hard to comprehend.

Hypothetical Situation -

If your'e driving home from work and carry weapons, come across a Law-Man pinned down behind his vehicle and taking fire from thugs -

Would you stop to assist in any way possible or keep driving in fear of prosecution from a violation of your State Laws, is your state that bad?

Old April 16, 2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Bud Helms

Moving to L&CR.
Old April 16, 2011, 01:54 PM   #3
wally626

First idea, turn around and go the other way. Stopping to help out could be very dangerous. The cop does not know you are a friendly, he may think you are friend of the thugs and start shooting at you, or cops arriving to assist may think the same thing. Then of course the thugs might start shooting as well. I think the only time I might help would be in a very rural area where you expect help is going to be long coming. Stop a safe distance away and ask if the cop wants or needs assistance first, if he says yes then get the rifle out. If you are going to and from work your chances of carrying a banned weapon is pretty small, state to state travel it may be a bit more likely.
Old April 16, 2011, 01:55 PM   #4
Uncle Buck

Hypothetical Speculation:

You want to make sure you are in a good position when his back-up arrives.

Why not just put your car between the bad guys and the cop and exit the vehicle?
Old April 16, 2011, 04:20 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
If I read things right here some states BAN Assault Rifles and certain magazines? Bummer!

If your'e driving home from work and carry weapons, come across a Law-Man pinned down behind his vehicle and taking fire from thugs -

Would you stop to assist in any way possible or keep driving in fear of prosecution from a violation of your State Laws, is your state that bad?
I fail to see any correlation between a state's banning certain types of aesthetic features from certain types of firearms, and deciding whether or not to render assistance to a police officer who is under attack by multiple assailants. If I'm in NY or MA, for example, it just means that if I use my AR-15 to assist I won't be able to fix bayonet (since I won't have a bayonet lug) and I won't have to extend the stock because I won't have a folding or telescoping stock.

I don't see how that would influence my willingness to lend assistance.
Old April 16, 2011, 06:06 PM   #6
speedyjerry

We could come up with thousands of different do or don't scenerios thats not the issue perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

Living in a state with enough extreme anti-gun regulations to make one second guess assisting an officer in trouble for fear of prosecution would be just horrible.

Cops I grew up with used to knock on my door at all hours to borrow weapons they didn't have access to years ago when drug planes and helicopters landed a little west of here.

Used to be a small town where everyone knew each other.
Old April 17, 2011, 12:28 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

I'm afraid this OP doesn't make much sense to me. For it to continue:

1. Is the question whether you would aid a LEO. Much discussed before it terms of risks to you, moral obligation to help, views of the police and the every popular chest pounding?

2. Is it whether you would use an illegal-in-your-state weapon to aid an officer?

3. Would you use a legal AW weapon to aid an LEO as compared to another weapon? If it went awry would using an AW be used against you?

So what's up? Clarify it, please?
Old April 17, 2011, 01:46 PM   #8
speedyjerry

I thought it was quite a simple question without going into all these different scenerios, would you help an officer in distress or are your state laws so restrictive they would prohibit you from doing so?
Old April 17, 2011, 02:14 PM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

Ok - I understand - there is no such law that I know of. Since you didn't clarify a scenario that makes some legal sense, it's closed.