The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 24, 2006, 12:13 PM   #1
THENASH

Concealment Holsters

What kind of holster do you use for your everday concealment?
I recently purchased a Colt Light Weight Commander and I am looking for some recommendations.
Old April 24, 2006, 01:04 PM   #2
dairycreek

My personal preference is for IWB carry using a FIST #43 (see pic) or a holster made by Coomp-Tac. Both are higly reputable holster makers. Choose what you think you will find comfortable. If you are wrong, choose again, that's happened to all of us.

[IMG][/IMG]

GOOD SHOOTING
Old April 24, 2006, 01:34 PM   #3
QuaTscH94

I carry a Springfield Champion, same size as your Colt. For concealment carry I prefer strongside OWB carry. I rotate between a Galco Concealment Holster and a Don Hume 710 Quickslide.

GALCO
DON HUME
Old April 24, 2006, 01:48 PM   #4
THENASH

Thanks for the recs folks. Keep 'em coming. Slow at work and all I got is time to surf. Anyone know about Alessi Holsters? I read they are quite comfortable, any nods?
Old April 24, 2006, 03:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Anyone know about Alessi Holsters? I read they are quite comfortable, any nods?
I use an Alessi IWB holster with my Commander length 1911. It's the best built, most comfortable holster I've ever used.
Old April 24, 2006, 05:58 PM   #6
tegemu

I use 3 Brommeland Max Con V's. I could write a page of singing the praises of this holster and Gary Brommeland the Holster smith. But better yet use the "SEARCH" feature above and type in either "Brommeland" or "Max Con V," and see for yourself.
see: www.brommelandgunleather.com .
Old April 24, 2006, 06:41 PM   #7
dwebb1911

I use a Galco JAK Slide on a Galco CB4 Contour Belt with my Springfield Ultra Compact. Because the belt is looped outside the holster it holds the firearm tight and close.
Old April 24, 2006, 07:11 PM   #8
Avizpls

Quote:
If you are wrong, choose again, that's happened to all of us.
Wash, rinse, repeat. Ive got about ten un-used holsters until I found the right one. (Fist A1)
Old April 24, 2006, 09:05 PM   #9
orionengnr

Alessi Watch Six Talon

A lot like a Milt Sparks VMII on a budget. I will be buying a VMII soon as i can free up $100 or so...
Old April 25, 2006, 05:47 AM   #10
Hiker2

Hi Nash, I don't like IWB and picked this to carry my Beretta Cougar: http://www.donhume.com/Products/Prod...m?ProductID=44

The holster is a strong side, OWB that holds the weapon high & tight w/a forward cant - I can't believe how the weapon disappears under a cover shirt. Beretta Cougar is not a light gun (32oz, roughly 1? shorter in the slide than your Colt) but I literally cannot feel it is there unless I bump against a chair sitting down etc. The holster just makes it disappear - both from how it feels & how it conceals. The 721OT uses a lot less leather than other OWB?s, almost looks delicate. . . but it offers very stable carry & retention is secure.

Anything will conceal under a jacket or vest but I?ve also used it now on warm days. With shorts and either a light cotton print shirt or a ?loose? fitting printed T-shirt, you?d never make that I was carrying (use a "thick" T-shirt.) If I were to use a single word to describe, it would be "elegant." This is an elegant carry solution. I thought this holster would not conceal as well as it does (don't like IWB and thought I was making a big trade-off with OWB.) What a nice surprise. I liked it so well I bought another for my Beretta M9 (roughly same size as your Colt.)

If you look at the price, I consider the Hume 721OT a "best value" in leather concealment holster. The Hume allows very fast draw, smooth presentation, & easy to re-holster without looking. Buy the Hume it's great. (no, I do not work for them.) YMMV
Old April 25, 2006, 08:14 AM   #11
THENASH

Thanks alot! I spend the majority of my message boarding on music sites and to hear recommendations instead of insults and whitless banter is new to me. I wanted to provide further details about my physical stature so that perhaps if anyone out there shares these physicalities they could make additional suggestions. I stand 6'0" tall. I am an athletic/muscular build with a 36" waist. I noticed many of the websites provide a photograph of someone wearing their holster but invariably the pictured individual is slim. As stated before, I am bulky. Any suggestions?
Old April 25, 2006, 12:31 PM   #12
QuaTscH94

Nash,
I'm similar to your build and my Galco and Don Hume holsters feel pretty comfortable and conceal the firearm very well. I'm 6'1 225lbs w/ a 34" waist if that helps
Old April 25, 2006, 02:32 PM   #13
THENASH

Thanks. I think I will be going with a IWB holster. My normal dress includes tshirts and loose fitting jeans. I am afraid an OWB will not be concealed enough. However, there is a gunshow in Ft. Worth, TX this weekend and hopefully I can get there in time to try on some different styles. Once again, Thanks!

By the way, I recognized that a customer of mine was carrying. I never bothered to notice such things before. I imagine anyone that does notice is probably a friend and carrier anyway.
Old April 25, 2006, 04:48 PM   #14
tegemu

Nash if you call Gary Brommeland, he will gladly chat with you about your specific wants and needs, If he cannot satisfy your requirements he will say so. www.brommelandgunleather.com
Old April 25, 2006, 04:56 PM   #15
OJ

While the Mitch Rosen ARG does cost more, IMHO it is worth it. I've used all the "usual suspects" but end up coming back to the ARG. Best fit for me and the pistol and works best for me in spite of the different location of the belt loops on different brands of trousers I seem to have.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old April 25, 2006, 05:20 PM   #16
HiPowering Along

Location: PA - Land of taxes, potholes and unfortunately Ed "Gun Grabbin' Fast Eddie" Rendell
One major consideration, esp. for IWB, is the throat of the holster not closing so you can't reholster without using two hands. It's imperative that you can reholster your weapon WITHOUT looking and with one hand - your other one might be busy doing something else at the time - like strangling the crud out of the idiot instead of shooting him...

Seriously, the old man just bought a holster that doesn't have enough support around the throat (opening) of the holster, and getting it back in one handed is a tricky affair. He's out $75 bucks for a nice looking holster that isn't worth spit for CCW. The more you have to fool around getting the weapon back in the holster is more opportunity for something to go wrong, such as a AD from trying to manipulate the weapon to get it to holster.

If you look at a Galco Avenger or a Kramer IWB holster, you'll notice a stiffening band of leather around the throat - helps to keep it from collapsing. Do your homework on what's under the band, tho - some use a metal band from what I've heard, and if it's crushed, it's nearly impossible to get straight again.

YMMV, just my $0.02 worth - good luck hunting one!
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." - One of the greatest sentences ever written into an instrument of democracy.
Old April 25, 2006, 06:23 PM   #17
erh

THENASH - I like pocket holsters like:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...h/DSCN1473.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...h/DSCN1477.jpg

This is a Ron Graham "Kentucky" strong side Front Pocket w/ an R9s.

Check out his stuff @ www.palehorseholsters.com

Old April 25, 2006, 11:56 PM   #18
HYDRA-SHOKz

I use either a Bulman shoulder rig or a Milt Sparks 55BN,D4C and 1.5" belt for my Glock 32.

http://www.bulmangunleather.com/

http://www.miltsparks.com/
Old April 27, 2006, 06:02 PM   #19
Norstrog

www.brigadegunleather.com is who I would recommend.
Old April 27, 2006, 08:55 PM   #20
John28226

Many Good ones but ...

I have a number of CCW holsters but by far the most comfortable and concealable for me at my size and weight is the Crossbreed holster by Mark Craighead. Also, it cost me less money. I carry a Taurus Stellar Tracker .45 ACP revolver and have a number of better looking holsters including Milt Sparks, K & D and Tucker but none work better than my bargain ugly holster from Mark. The Tracker is K frame size and weighs about 26 oz. I am 5' 10" and 188 pounds. Carry strong side at about 4 o'clock.

Regardless of what you carry, try a Crossbreed with a good belt (I use either a Beltman or K & D most of the time but I also have a Rafter which is very nice) and I think you will be pleased. I prefer IWB for concealment but have OWB for when the weather permits.

Hope this helps.
John
Old April 27, 2006, 11:17 PM   #21
BillCA

+1 on the Milt Sparks VM-II holster.

If you want to try a good, but inexpensive holster, follow the link below to a discussion of the Galco M7X "Matrix" holster. The down side is that it's a belt holster (OWB) that will require a cover garment.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=208719
Old April 28, 2006, 09:57 PM   #22
Nathan03

C-Tac for my G23/G22.

Once you try one, you'll never want anything else.
Old May 7, 2006, 05:20 PM   #23
JoshB

Milt Sparks "watch six" for my Para P14.

http://www.miltsparks.com/Watch_Six.htm
Old May 7, 2006, 06:12 PM   #24
Mannlicher

for inside the waist carry, I go with Sam Andrews' "McDaniels II" holster. This is quite comfortable for extended wear, has a spring steel insert 'torque plate' at the opening so that it STAYS open, and the pistol is held very securely.
If I am carrying a revolver its usually outside the waist band, and I use Sam's Tension Saddle holsters.
These have a screw that lets you adjust the tension on the holster. This holds the revolver with good security, and quick access, without needing a thumb break.

www.andrewsleather.com

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old May 8, 2006, 04:08 PM   #25
Billy_H

I use a Split Decision from Hign Noon Holsters.