The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 24, 2005, 11:01 AM   #1
Klaud Wachnen

.357 snub

Hello everyone,

Today at the gun range I was rented a snub revolver in .357, I always heard bad things about snub accuracy but i wanted to see for myself.

I definitly shot well with, was able to put in good pattern at 30 feet, I think that is good for the short gun. The gun was the ruger , it was pretty good. I know that ruger is good cost effective and I do not have much experience with wheel gun but I really liked how this shot, and was so comfortable.

Is smith and wesson, rossi, ruger, taurus, which brand makes the most accuracy in the guns? I am going to buy one but I do not know if the Smith is better than the Ruger, if it is I will pay more for the better, So I ask people who have experience with these if they could give me opinion.

Thankyou very much

- Klaud.
Old June 24, 2005, 11:47 AM   #2
Jkwas

All of the guns you mention are good shooters. I'm sure you won't go wrong with any of them. The only gun I can speak for is the Taurus 605. I shoot one with very good accuracy to about 40ft. Also, it has been reliable. I have shot more than 850 rounds with it. It is Stainless steel, which costs more, but is worth it in my opinion. I paid $311 brand new,transfer fee, background check, sales tax, out the door back in november. If cost is no option, then get the Smith and Wesson. I don't have one, but I'm sure you won't be disapointed.
Old June 24, 2005, 12:01 PM   #3
Jeff #111

If you're looking at getting one of the major brands then any of their snubbies will shoot better then you can. I'm biased. My favorite manufactuer is S&W. Either the Model 686, Model 66, or the Model 65 will do, but I have to admit that I like the Ruger GP 100 with the 3" barrel. You'll be fine purchasing the Ruger. By the way is it the GP100 or is it the older Security Six/Speed Six model? Good luck.
Old June 24, 2005, 12:38 PM   #4
michael t

Ruger's are built like a tank and are so ugly. :barf: Buy a nice S&W
Old June 24, 2005, 12:46 PM   #5
molonlabe

My wife and I both shot pins for practice with snubbies when we lived in Wisconsin. We could consistently clear the table with them, which requires you to hit it closer to the top to spin it off the table. We also did this double action and S&W definitely has the smoother action. It was a fun game because you only had 5 shots so no second chance to clear the table. Working up to speed was hard, hard but possible.

I Don't want you in here period...Patricia Konie NOLA 2005
Old June 26, 2005, 05:44 PM   #6
jarin12ga.

S&W sweet revolvers

I owned a model 36 38 special and it was bullet proof.The gun always fires,any crap ammo even.The 2inch barrel made the gun snappy.But if you held her tight,she fired acceptable groups at 20-30ft.S&W has a smooth as hell action.Rugers are great guns as well.Go with the feel!
Old June 26, 2005, 06:29 PM   #7
Bullrock

Quote:
Ruger's are built like a tank and are so ugly. Buy a nice S&W
Built well, Yes!!! Ugly??? Where???
This is kinda nice also....
Old June 26, 2005, 07:40 PM   #8
croyance

It is not that snubbies are inaccurate, but rather many have difficulty being accurate with a snubby.
The difference? Snubbies have good mechanical accuracy. This can be shown on a rest or some other way that takes grip and sighting out of the equation (or minimizes those things as factors).
However, snubbies tend to have primitive sights, a short sight radius, and little gripping area. This makes it hard for some to be repeatable accurate.
Old June 26, 2005, 07:46 PM   #9
Magnum88C

If you are talking specifically loading it with magnums, I wholeheartedly endorse the Ruger SP-101, or 3" GP-100. Reason being, they are heavier than other makes, and the factory grips are cushy and wider than other makes, spreading the recoil over more surface area, in other words, they are easier to shoot. Mine will consistantly shoot 4" at 25 yards, offhand. The Rugers do, however prefer 158-grain bullets, as that is what they are sighted in for.

S&W tend to conceal better (they're smaller), but the recoil of magnums is much less pleasant than the Ruger. If you really want an S&W, the Speer 135-gr Gold Dot .38 special +p would be your best bet.
Old June 27, 2005, 01:54 AM   #10
Garand Illusion

Another vote for the taurus 605 -- I love mine. But I hardly ever shoot full house .357's. Instead I shoot mostly .38 +p. Have put many hundreds of various types of bullets through it with no problems.

It takes too long to bring the gun back on target with a .357, and there is such a huge fireball in front of the gun (really impressive) that I think a lot of the power of a .357 is lost anyway (and I've seen testing that proves this).

Can't compare it to others, because it is the only .357 snubby I've every fired.
Old June 27, 2005, 02:43 AM   #11
Sir William

My favourite 357 Magnum snub is my Colt Lawman MKIII 2". There is enough mass to absorb recoil and the action is smooth enough for DA accuracy. Pachmayrs help too. Todays Ruger GP-100 3" is a great choice.