The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 14, 2017, 08:19 PM   #1
2damnold4this

Ruger LC9s trigger pinch

I recently aquired a used Ruger LC9s and when I shoot it with my strong hand, I get a pronounced pinch or bite on the lower part of my trigger finger. It doesn't seem to be a problem shooting with my left (weak) hand. I'm a grease monkey with largish hands and fat fingers but my right index finger is a bit bigger than my left.

Recoil seems mild compared to hot 38+ps out of a 342 Airlight but shooting with my right hand, I get a pronounced pinch or bite on the bottom of my trigger finger when shooting the LC9s. I don't have this problem shooting other handguns such as S&W J and K Frame revolvers, Ruger Revolvers, Glocks, Berettas, Taurus semis and revolvers, CZs or Makarovs.

Anyone else have this problem and have a solution?
Old September 14, 2017, 08:23 PM   #2
TXAZ

I have an LC9s, and haven't noticed a pinch, but don't have big fingers.

I'd agree that the recoil is actually very nice, particularly for a plastic body compact.
Is your finger getting under the trigger?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 14, 2017, 08:28 PM   #3
2damnold4this

I don't think my finger is getting under the trigger but the portion of my finger at the bottom of the trigger is getting pinched. My left finger is slightly smaller and doesn't get pinched and I think that is because it can stay a little higher on the trigger.
Old September 14, 2017, 08:37 PM   #4
TXAZ

I just pulled mine out and tried to get my finger between the trigger and guard, but wasn't really able to.

Maybe someone else has some experience.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 14, 2017, 08:47 PM   #5
NC FNS

This happened to me when I first got my LC9S. Not sure exactly where the pinching was occuring. Holding my finger just the slightest bit higher on the trigger seemed to cure it, and I haven't had the problem since. (About 500 rounds later now)
Old September 15, 2017, 06:44 AM   #6
k4swb

Yep!!! Mine pinches the heck out of my finger.
I tried putting heat shrink tubing over trigger and taking the finger safety out. Still pinched.

Been thinking about heating the trigger guard and deforming the bottom just slightly.

Love this gun but OUCH!
Old September 15, 2017, 10:40 AM   #7
vba

I don't get a pinch but would call it more of a slap. I wonder if this may be what is happening with the OP.
Old September 15, 2017, 12:37 PM   #8
Doyle

How much of your finger are you placing over the trigger? Is it just the pad on the tip of the finger or the bend at the joint?
Old September 15, 2017, 01:18 PM   #9
2damnold4this

The pad of my finger is what touches the trigger. The trigger might be slightly closer to the joint than the tip of the finger.
Old September 15, 2017, 02:11 PM   #10
Doyle

Old, I'm wondering if you are perhaps using a different finger position on your left hand as opposed to your right. Just thinking out loud here to see if it is something other than the actual size of your hand that is causing this. My LC9s has never pinched my finger but then I have pretty normal sized hands.

Oh, and nice location BTW. I spent a pleasant 6 months in Athens back in the mid '80s back when the Navy still had their Supply Corps school there.
Old September 15, 2017, 05:29 PM   #11
t45

I get the pinch from my PF9 which is very similar to the LC9.
Old September 15, 2017, 08:38 PM   #12
2damnold4this

I agree that it has something to do with finger placement. I'll shoot it again tomorrow and see if I can figure something out.

I also agree that Athens is a great place to live. Starkville was lovely the times I have visited and there are bulldogs in both towns.
Old September 17, 2017, 10:24 PM   #13
Doyle

Quote:
I also agree that Athens is a great place to live. Starkville was lovely the times I have visited and there are bulldogs in both towns.
You know we roll into your town next Saturday. It's going to be dawg eat dawg.
Old September 18, 2017, 11:01 AM   #14
2damnold4this

It should be an exciting game. My folks live in Aberdeen which tends to support Mississippi State over Ole Miss. Will you be coming to the game? Let me know if you are and perhaps we can go shooting on Sunday.

I'll have to try some different positions of my finger on the trigger and see if that helps.
Old September 18, 2017, 03:23 PM   #15
Doyle

Thanks, but I don't travel to games. I'm a State fan only because my wife is a professor there and my kids went there. I do enjoy watching them though on my own big-screen TV. If you get over this way, I belong to a decent private club here with good outdoor rifle and pistol ranges plus nice skeet and trap ranges. I'd be glad to shoot with you.
Old September 18, 2017, 08:14 PM   #16
rcollier

Mine would "pinch" my finger as well, I took it in to my smithy and he filed at bit from either side of the trigger and it took care of the problem. It felt to me like there was a small burr on the trigger.
Old September 20, 2017, 05:28 AM   #17
Snuffy308

Yea, know about the pinch with the lc9 trigger. But it's not nearly as bad as the pf9. A couple of mags with that little firecracker and I'm done
Old September 23, 2017, 04:39 PM   #18
2damnold4this

I filed a little on the trigger had a chance to put fifty rounds through the LC9s today. It was much better. I'm starting to like this little pistol and may end up carrying it.

How does the Ruger do with sweat? Any holster recommendations?