The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 28, 2010, 03:46 AM   #1
BigPapa4147

Mystery piece with Lee Turret

I just put my Lee Classic Turret press together and I can't figure out where the little plastic square goes. Can anyone help me out?
Old December 28, 2010, 03:58 AM   #2
Hook686

It goes with the index rod. Look at the instructions Lee gave you. My instruction sheet shows the plastic square and index rod adjustment. Yours might.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old December 28, 2010, 05:23 AM   #3
Ed_

They send a spare nut so when you strip the one already installed.
Old December 28, 2010, 06:29 AM   #4
BigPapa4147

Thanks, I see where it goes. My instructions didn't show where it goes, it just says its there. It actually says in parentheses (not visible) go figure.
Old December 28, 2010, 08:44 AM   #5
flashhole

R3ad this thread on THR. It is a good discussion about the part and how to adjust your press if needed.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=487742

Are you ready for civil war?
Old December 28, 2010, 08:30 PM   #6
BigPapa4147

Thanks, that link was a big help.
Old December 28, 2010, 08:31 PM   #7
benzuncle

BigPapa, the Lee Classic Turret Press is a far better product than the instructions that come with it. I was also mystified by some of the instructions, and the little square piece. Luckily, I hung on to that little piece. After about 5000 rounds I had damaged it from rotating the turret by hand while the ram was in the twisted portion of the indexing rod. I now know to do my rotating with the ram close to the top of the rod. As you have probably surmised, there's plenty of help here for LCT owners. It's just a few keystrokes and a click away.
Old December 28, 2010, 10:59 PM   #8
Lost Sheep

Where do you keep it to prevent it being lost?

I know that as soon as I lose track of my spare square ratchet, I will need it.

So, I pulled the indexing rod and slid the spare onto the rod and all the way up to the top. It's not in the way and is safe from going astray. I just have to remember it's there, because it is not all that visible. Lee should make it in red plastic or canary yellow or something.

Breaking the ratchet comes not from turning the turret while the ratchet is in the twisted portion of the rod, but by turning the turret while the ratchet is engaged, which can happen in the straight portions of the rod, too. If there is upward pressure on the rod (or downward pressure or movement of the ram) the ratchet drags on the rod and is lifted and engaged with the notches in the "ceiling" of the cavity in the indexing arm attached to the ram. If you the turret's movement (by action of the rod) is impeded or the turret forced to turn while the index rod is stationary, things will break. No matter if the ratchet is in the twist or on the straight.

It works this way because the ratchet is supposed to drag slightly as it slides up and down on the rod. It drags a little more in the curved portion, though, so is more obvious there.

Reading the above, it is obvious I cannot write any better than the Lee folks, so demonstrate it for yourself.

Put the ram at mid-stroke and remove the turret. Gently turn the rod (either direction) while lifting gently on the rod. After less than 1/4 turn, the ratchet will engage and lock the rod.

So, if you ever have to rotate the turret by hand and find the index rod locked, just reach in, grab the rod, lift it and lower it. The turret will be freed.

Happy New Year

Lost Sheep
Old December 29, 2010, 01:02 AM   #9
Taroman

Easy fix. I threw it away, along with the turret turning mechanism. Indexing by hand works best for me.

Si vis pacem, para bellum