The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 6, 2017, 11:36 AM   #1
Venom1956

AR10 and 15 Vise blocks options?

Hey guys,

I've been working on numerous ARs and I have the Bev block for AR15s but nothing for AR10s like my M&P10 I usually clamp it in the vice at 90 degrees with wood to protect the top and bottom.

I was wondering what kind of 'over the upper' style blocks you guys use. I didnt enjoy torquing down barrel nuts in this way especially on the MP10 or any smaller AR15 that the bev block doesn't fit in (22,9, 762x39 etc)

I feels like I am going to eventually twist, warp or damage an upper or something so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old June 18, 2017, 11:37 PM   #2
the gman

First post on these forums and I have no connection to the firm I'm about to recommend other than as a satisfied customer. Their products are sound and cost effective but they also work real well.

http://www.squirreldaddy.com/category-s/296.htm
Old June 24, 2017, 07:28 PM   #3
ed308

For my AR10, I use a Squireldaddy barrel vise. I'm not a fan of the clam shell type system since they can cause damage. For my AR15s which I have a bunch of, I use a Geissele Super Reaction Rod. It's my favorite tool for installing and removing barrels. The one for the AR10 isn't cheap at $199. Brownell makes something similar that is around $50.

Last edited by ed308; June 25, 2017 at 09:26 AM.