The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 6, 2019, 11:22 AM   #1
Sea Buck

Florida / Maine Reciprocity

Has the Florida / Maine reciprocity changed? I am a Snow Bird with a CWP in Maine. A Florida friend is telling me that he thinks laws have changed and to be careful about carrying now when I am in Florida. Can anyone shed light on this.
Old October 6, 2019, 12:32 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

Which state is your primary state of residence? (Which state is your driver's license from, and where are you registered to vote?) I don't see anything out of Florida that would affect a Maine resident on vacation carrying in Florida on their Maine permit. What the Florida guy may be referring to is the fact that Maine is now (mostly) permitless. This means that a Florida resident who is in Maine on vacation can carry without having either a Maine permit or a Florida permit.

As usual, though, the devil is in the details. Maine state law provides that permitless carry is NOT allowed in Maine state parks. And, since the National Parks now default to the state law of the state(s) in which a national park is located, this means that in order to carry in Acadia National Park you must have a permit. My understanding has been that it has to be a Maine permit, but it may be that a permit that Maine recognizes through reciprocity is enough.

This would not affect a Maine resident carrying in Florida on a Maine permit.

It would be helpful if your Florida friend could offer a bit more specificity.
Jeepaholic
Old October 6, 2019, 02:16 PM   #3
FITASC

If you're a snowbird, why not just get a FL non-resident permit?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 6, 2019, 03:13 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC
If you're a snowbird, why not just get a FL non-resident permit?
This is excellent advice for another reason: the national Gun Free School Zone (GFSZ) law. That's the provision in federal law that makes it illegal to possess a firearm within 1000 feet of a school property. (Not on school property, and not within 1000 feet of a school building -- this law extends a gun-free zone outward for a distance of 1,000 feet beyond the outer boundaries (property lines) of the property on which the school is located.)

One of the exceptions to the GFSZ law is if you have a carry permit issued by the state in which the school is located. In Florida, all other considerations aside, a Maine permit cannot protect you from being charged with carrying within 1,000 feet of a school under the GFSZ law. A Florida permit does protect you.
Jeepaholic