The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 9, 2009, 02:28 PM   #1
djb_249

wow redding dies are nice

I've been reloading for about a year or so now and until last night i have always used Lee dies for rifle (because they were cheaper) and rcbs for my .40.(because they were at the store) Three nights ago i ordered a set of redding dies for .270, and i used them last night. Holy crap what an amazing difference! i can't believe how much nicer they feel than the lees. I was amazed, and i don't think I'll ever go back to lee dies. they work fine and i'm not going to replace the ones that i have, i'm just not going to buy them anymore. I was just wondering if others have had the same epiphany as myself.
Old July 9, 2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Doodlebugger45

Sort of. I posted about my experience using something other than Lee dies last night. Same as you, I don't have any bad things to say about Lee, just that I am now realizing there are differences between brands. Like you, I bought Lee just because that's all they had when I started last winter. Well... I guess that's still mostly all they have at my store actually.

LOL

I can just picture the long time reloaders here rolling their eyes at our amazing revelations. But hey, it's new and exciting to us.
Old July 9, 2009, 03:55 PM   #3
NWPilgrim

I have actually gone from RCBS and Hornady to more Lee dies. Mainly because of the number of die sets involved and the expense versus function.

I bought a Lee turret press after using a single stage for many years. I had already started to use the FCD after having issues with a 9mm load. With the turret press I could add the Auto Disk measure inexpensively and the Lee pistol dies already have the powder through expander die. BTW, I think the Lee Safety Prime is one of the nicest press based primers out there. Inexpensive but works beautifully.

So now I have mostly RCBS pistol dies but I am adding the FCD and replacing the expander with the Lee powder through die in each RCBS set. New pistol sets I buy are now the Lee 4-die set.

On the other hand, I just bought a RCBS X-die to try out, and a Lee universal charging die. So for rifle sets I will have a mix of RCBS X die for sizing, Lee for charging, RCBS or Lee for seating (thinking of a Redding micrometer for some cartridges though) and Lee FCD (for semi-auto cartridges).

I like that Lee makes theirs inexpensive enough I can try things out that I might not if I had to pay 2-3 times as much for. But, I buy for function. I am not trying for extreme accuracy so the difference in manufacture of Lee versus Redding is immaterial for me. If a Lee die does the job I will use it and spend the extra money on more components, parts or guns. If another brand has a capability not provided by Lee than I will get that.

All that said, there is a special joy in handling finely crafted tools and I can certainly appreciate the aesthetics.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old July 9, 2009, 07:41 PM   #4
rg1

Redding dies are the best machined dies on the market that I've seen. They have the best finish, checkering, and fit of any of my dies. I saw the Redding display at the 2008 NRA Convention and was more than impressed by all of Redding's tools. That said, I have 2 Redding rifle die sets, RCBS and Forster presses, and mostly RCBS dies and a some Hornady dies. If I were starting out reloading today, I'd definitely consider going Redding totally but my other equipment has served me well for nearly 30 years of reloading.
Old July 9, 2009, 08:07 PM   #5
flashhole

I use a lot of Redding equipment, two Ultramag presses, a powder measure, and several die sets, but I'm far from having all the needs filled with their die selections. I have quite a bit of Lee stuff on my bench too, including the Classic Cast Turret Press and really like their designs, especially their Collet Neck Dies. Next to Dillon which I have none of, RCBS is what I have the least of but I do like the RCBS bench mount primer tool, the one that does not have the primer feed tube. I keep one each set up for both large and small primers. For all of my cartridges I have more than one set of dies and use what provides the best results. One die I really like is the Forster Ultra Seat Die. The tight tolerance sliding-sleeve seat dies really pay dividends in the accuracy department.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old July 9, 2009, 08:32 PM   #6
sophijo

geezer learns

Well at 63 and new to reloading, I took the advice of a friend and bought Redding stuff..press (T-7), powder measure, scale and dies...tickled pink! Wish I'd listened when he was talking about women!!
Old July 9, 2009, 09:31 PM   #7
wncchester

The "best" dies sure feel nice, look good too. But I've been doing this for several decades, have dies from across the full price range and I've learned that it's only the insides that make ammo and the brand nor shiney exteriors mean anything to the brass.

I've made die chamber casts and measured and shot a lot of ammo from dies of different makers. All I've proven so far is that price/brand not withstanding, there is as much effective difference between dies of the same maker as there is between brands. Some sets have a good sizer but a less good seater, or vice versa. Manufactureing tolerances being what they are, rarely will both dies be of ideal internal dimensions.

Fortunately, dies are seldom really bad and the makers will fix or swap those so I don't spend more that the insides are worth. I buy or swap for expensive dies but when I buy new I usually buy Lee.
Old July 10, 2009, 12:43 AM   #8
blu97

redding dies

Traided most of my RCBS stuff for LEE back some years ago when they offered a deal, but I do favor the Redding dies I have for 351 WSL and 401 WSL.
Old July 10, 2009, 08:37 AM   #9
Art in CT

Redding Dies are Nice.... but lets not forget C&H

I do agree that Redding dies are very nicely machined items.

However, let's not forget C&H Tool and Die. C&H is a very small firm with a personal touch, that makes top notch die sets and tools for many decades. If you send them a case that was fired in your rifle or pistol, they will make a full length sizing die or neck bump die specifically for your chamber. Dave at C&H is a wonderful person and is always very helpful and a real advocate of the shooting sports.

Take a look at their website.... http://www.CH4D.com

But again, Redding does make some great stuff. Sorry to throw bread crumbs on this thread.

Shoot Straight!
Art In CT
Old July 10, 2009, 08:46 AM   #10
ISP 5353

RCBS dies are pretty good for most applications, but Redding Competition seating dies are awesome when trying to get that final round just right.
Old July 10, 2009, 10:19 AM   #11
TEDDY

90% of reloaders dont need high precision dies so,the Lee will get new reloaders in to the game.I have all the cat,redding ,lyman,lee and dillon.some of the prices scare me.
Old July 10, 2009, 12:27 PM   #12
farmall

Redding builds some damn fine stuff. I have one of their old (Pre T-7) turret presses, 2 of their powder measures, and a scale. All are first class quailty.
I also bought them all used, as the new prices are just scary!

Lee VS Redding is, to me, a good / good enough type argument. Kinda like a Snap-On VS Craftsman thing. Your level of commitment, and skill levels will determine what is best for you.
Old July 10, 2009, 02:08 PM   #13
wncchester

"90% of reloaders dont need high precision dies so,the Lee will get new reloaders in to the game."

Teddy, I fully agree with everything you say! But, I disagree with the implication that "Lee dies are good enough for beginners."

I've tried really hard to find something specifically "wrong" with Lee's dies and have NOT been able to do so! Thus, at least at this point in my life, I feel safe in saying Lee's dies are as good, on average, as any conventional dies.

By that, I mean they aren't quite as good as the much more expensive Redding/Forster BR/Competion sets with straight line seaters. (Redding copied Forster's seater design, Forsters FL sizer/expander is perhaps the best of it's type, and I don't consider RCBS' premium priced "competion" dies to be in the same league.)

Even with the truly premium dies, given equal care the loaded round difference is, on average, little better than with the others. Yes, it's easy to see a slight average concentricity difference on a gage but it's less easy to see a real difference on a target. Bottom line, it seems loading skill and attention to detail is more important than the brand or style of dies or press used.

When I buy any die brand other than Lee it's for a specific design feature, not any vague distrust of Lee's "quality."

Last edited by wncchester; July 10, 2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old July 10, 2009, 07:57 PM   #14
flashhole

The optimum situation for using an "in-line" seater is having the expanded neck (bullet seated in the neck) be nearly a friction fit to the cavity of the seat die. Sometimes the "standard" fixed dimension in-line seat die won't work with case/bullet combinations that are neck turned to a specific wall thickness optimized to the guns chamber. That's the main advantage of a bushing seat die, it can be set up in an optimal configuration to your gun.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old July 10, 2009, 09:02 PM   #15
hardhit

I have two very accurate target rifles in 308 Winchester and 300 Winchester magnum, and use Redding Competition bushing dies for both, These dies have very tight tolerances and accurate micrometer settings. I don’t know how the stack up against Forster and Wilson Bench Rest Dies though, but i suspect there’s nothing in it.
Old July 12, 2009, 04:42 PM   #16
rogn

Redding dies

I tink Redding dies are some of the finest designed and machined dies available, that having been said, Ill state that Ive got about 10 sets of Redding dies, some of which are for complex case forming and others whih are standard. Ive also got about 20 sts of Lee dies which are well made most are very precise and the design and engineering are very innovative. Both load excllent ammunition. But Ive found that I can load, in the correct frame more accurate ammo with the Lee dies, especially the collet dies. Ive been a bench rest shooter for more than 25 years and have claimed accouple of national titles during that period, mostly using very finely crafted custom dies, and Ill say at this point I can load ammo as accurate with either Redding or Lee. But its easier with the Lee dies. Lee has developed some unique dies and these make many loading processes easier than with more conventional dies, handgun cartridges fall in this catagory. Am I going to trade my Redding, Hornady, RCBS, Bonanza, Lyman or others in, no way theyre all good, so most of my new purchases are Lee if theyre available---Might get a Ruger 375 if so Hornady is the supplier. Good dies, wonderful customer service. Ive never had trouble with any of them, Load on.

Last edited by rogn; July 12, 2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: poor typing skill, worse proofreading
Old July 12, 2009, 08:15 PM   #17
Luciano

wnnchester,

Next time you look at your Lee dies compare their expander with any other brand's. You'll find the Lee expander with a lot of unpolished tool marks that act like a file in and out of your brass cases. You can see the brass shavings. This may be OK with most people or "good for the money", they do load ammo after all. Even the famed Factory Crimp die does the same thing due to its rough finish. Lee is good for the money, just not my hard earned money.
Old July 13, 2009, 12:33 AM   #18
NWPilgrim

Luciano, that may be your experience but I don't think it is typical. I have several Lee die sets and FCDs and have never seen brass shavings from any of them.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison