The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 19, 2008, 07:46 PM   #1
pjn003

Working up 9mm loads for accuracy

Hey guys,

I have been reloading for my g17 for a while now, and i really love it. However, i havent been doing much to ensure accuracy. I simply load up something which in my manual says will shoot at 1000fps, and call it good.

How do you ensure that you are making the most accurate rounds possible? I have no idea. Should i experiment w/ different velocities, then shoot them from a sandbag? Please let me know the process you go through to determine this.

P.S. I am using bullseye and 124 grain HP berry's plated bullets.

Thanks,

Phil
Old October 19, 2008, 08:44 PM   #2
Loader9

I'm loading 5.5 grs Unique under a 124 gr Golden Sabre. It shoots extremely good out of all of my 9mms. You'll find OAL on the 9mm critical for accuracy. Mine are loaded to 1.130 but you are using the Berrys so it will be different. Pick a load of a favorite powder, do not go below recommended OAL but you can go longer in .010 increments. You find the sweet spot for your pistol by loading this way. After that, any loads that you develop, you can start at the sweet spot for the OAL as long as it isn't shorter than the recommended OAL. Considering you are using Bullseye and Rainier bullets are pretty close to the Berrys in profile, Rainier loading data calls for a max load of 3.9 grs Bullseye and OAL 1.169 which is max length. I'd be loading something like 3.5 to 3.7 grs Bullseye and play with the OAL starting at 1.110. FWIW, Hornaday shows a max load at 4.4 grs Bullseye so the pressure spike will not be an issue with going shorter than 1.169.
Old October 19, 2008, 08:45 PM   #3
DIXIEDOG

In my experience switch to a .45 ACP , I've never gotten exceptional accuracy out of any 9mm regardless of what I tried for a load. 4" @ 25 yds is the best I ever got out of my Glock, I was using HP-38.
Old October 19, 2008, 09:27 PM   #4
D. Manley

Quote:
Working up 9mm loads for accuracy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,

I have been reloading for my g17 for a while now, and i really love it. However, i havent been doing much to ensure accuracy. I simply load up something which in my manual says will shoot at 1000fps, and call it good.

How do you ensure that you are making the most accurate rounds possible? I have no idea. Should i experiment w/ different velocities, then shoot them from a sandbag? Please let me know the process you go through to determine this.

P.S. I am using bullseye and 124 grain HP berry's plated bullets.

Thanks,

Phil

Glock 17
There's a lot of "little things" that can affect your groups...seating depth, crimp, etc., etc. Some things are an absolute MUST such as, a good bullet. A good bullet will generally shoot pretty well within a broad range but a bad bullet won't shoot well...period. Some guns seem to "like" one powder/bullet combination better than others and some guns tend to be more "picky" than others. The best suggestion I can give you to arrive at what works in your gun is to (1) use good bullets, (2) keep good records (notated test targets are always nice to have also) and (3) take care to properly bench your groups to remove the human factor to the degree possible.

Below are a few 9MM loads that are very accurate in my Glocks I don't mind sharing. None are max loads and all are safe in my guns - personal favorites for each bullet marked with an an asterisk. Please note there are countless combinations that perform just as well, these are simply a few that have all the characteristics I happen to like in a load, accuracy included among them.

115 Grain Rainier Plated RN – OAL: 1.156

5.2 Grains Winchester WSF*
5.9 Grains Ramshot Silhouette
6.1 Grains VihtaVuori 3-N-37

115 Grain Montana Gold CMJ - OAL: 1.135
5.3 Grains Winchester WSF
4.8 Grains Vihta Vuori N-330
5.8 Grains Vihta Vuori 3-N-37*

115 Grain Nosler JHP – OAL: 1.098

4.8 Grains Vihta Vuori N-330
5.9 Grains Ramshot Silhouette*

115 Grain Hornady XTP – OAL: 1.08

4.8 Grains Vihta Vuori N-330*

115 Grain Montana Gold JHP – OAL: 1.104

5.5 Grains Winchester WSF*
5.9 Grains Ramshot Silhouette
5.0 Grains Vihta Vuori N-330*
6.2 Grains Alliant Power Pistol
Old October 20, 2008, 12:56 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

even with crappy lead bullets

I most highly recommend purchasing a pound (to start) of Alliant Power Pistol and experimenting with that.
(N350, 3N37, Silhouette, AA5, HS6, all good, but one must start somewhere, and I suggest it start with Power Pistol).

Sort 9x19 cases by headstamp.

Then, if all else fails (to include testing more and less crimp, other primers, and varied OAL), try a different bullet.......

For your Berrys I might suggest a start load of sized sorted case, OAL what-you-use-now, primer (CCI500 / WSP), 5.4--6.0g Power Pistol.
Old July 14, 2009, 06:06 PM   #6
pjn003

BUMP

thanks for all the replies, does powder really have that much to do with it? That sounds very strange... what advise can you give me?
Old July 14, 2009, 06:27 PM   #7
alan

pjn003:

The following are what I'm currently using, LEAD BULLETS, which might not be appropriate for loads to be fired in Glock Pistols, polygonal rifling, as opposed to cut or broached rifling in non Glock Barrels. You could try an after market barrel for your Glock, cut or broached rifling, which is compatle with cast bullets.

4.2-4.5 grains of Unique, try sized bullet diameters of .356 and .357". Also 3.2 - 3.4 Grains Red Dot. BTW, I shoot IPSC Competition, 9mm MINOR Caliber.

OAL and bullet configuration can make a big difference. The cast bullets I use are 122 Grain Truncated Nose Bullets, OAL is about 1.035", which keeps the grease groove inside the cartridge case. My brass is about the worst mix of domestic and foreign, military and commercial that one could imagine. Of course, IPSC shooting does not requite "bullseye accuracy", reliability of function is the defining aspect. I also tend to use Winchester Standard Force Small Pistol Primers.

Last edited by alan; July 14, 2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old July 15, 2009, 06:24 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

yes

Powder really does have much to do with it.
So do bullets.

The speed that the powder burns, the time that it takes to build pressure (the burning powder creates gas, which is contained in a enclosed container --the case-- expanding gas in an enclosed space), the temperature it burns at which affects the bullet base, as does the speed of the gas creation --"boot" vs "shove" vs "gently increasing push"-- and other stuff.

Bullseye is a very 'fast' powder, in that these functions occur rapidly. 'Slower' powders have these things happen over a longer time, often with a gentler slope, less 'boot' to the base.

Bullets; ah, bullets.
No way to tell if a gun will 'like' any particular bullet.
Old July 15, 2009, 08:07 AM   #9
margiesex

All around

I agree with the above - both powder and bullet are vital to good accuracy.

Here's my load - target, not carry - Hornady 125 grain HAP (Hornady Action Pistol) over 5.1 grains of Unique, and a CCI small pistol primer.

This turns out the most consistant, accurate rounds from: my S&W 669, my daughter's Baretta 9000s, and my piece of junk Hi Point 9mm.

Then, for carry rounds, I simply switch to the Hornady XTP 124 grain. The accuracy differs slightly, but let's just say they ain't gonna get away!

Good luck.

God bless.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!
Old July 15, 2009, 03:46 PM   #10
D. Manley

Quote:
thanks for all the replies, does powder really have that much to do with it? That sounds very strange... what advise can you give me?
The short answer is, yes. As others pointed out, burn & pressure characteristics can and do make a difference in individual firearms accuracy with a given bullet. Some powders achieve accuracy at lower pressures, some at higher, some not at all and some shoot well over a wide range. That said though, I don't believe powder is as critical as a good bullet. IME, a good bullet can be made to shoot well with a wide range of powders & loads but a bad bullet won't shoot well, period.