The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 20, 2017, 04:24 PM   #1
turkeestalker

8 shot .357 Redhawk

I had said in another thread earlier this year that I had ordered one of the .44 Special GP 100s, I got that one in my hands a while back and couldn't be happier but for the FO front sight.
I had also said that I had my guy order one of the 8 shot .357 Redhawks for me and I just got my hands on that one today.

Lets face it, there really isn't any good purpose that the gun could serve that I don't already own something that would suit said purpose.
Right after I gave him money on it I was kind of asking myself why.

Honestly, after picking it up today and fondling it a bit I have no remorse or regrets whether I have a need for it or not.
This is a beautiful revolver and I am anxious to push some lead through it.

The fit of the wood grips to the frame is indicative of the rush to get them out that Ruger seems to have suffered from lately. Not horrible, but could've been better, the same as all of the other manufacturers.
But beyond that she is gorgeous to my eyes, and I really like the look and feel of the rounded butt.

They left the warning billboard off of the side of the barrel thankfully, off of the entire revolver actually.
They also tucked the serial number down on the bottom of the grip frame where it should be.
Those two touches alone add to the revolver's appeal immeasurably.
They've also used the traditional plunger style red insert front sight, and not changed to the dovetail FO sight like on a few other models.

Just clean looking, and for some reason this one just dug in under my skin right away and I wanted to share.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170720_160903417.jpg (211.1 KB, 1923 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170720_160838176.jpg (222.6 KB, 1847 views)
Old July 20, 2017, 04:37 PM   #2
muzzleblast...

That is a snubby that Dirty Harry would be proud of. Nice.
Old July 20, 2017, 05:07 PM   #3
XDforever

I absolutely LOVE it! Congrats!!

Joe
Old July 20, 2017, 06:32 PM   #4
JMag1

Very nice; congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old July 20, 2017, 07:16 PM   #5
mk70ss

Sweeeeeeet
Old July 20, 2017, 07:28 PM   #6
Rock Hammer

OUTSTANDING............Let us know how it shoots...I would like to see it in a 3-5-7- Series
................Get Down....
Old July 20, 2017, 07:33 PM   #7
Sevens

Maybe I am late to the Ruger party but I have seen this thing on the market for months and while I can see why some like the idea of that stubby little barrel (seems great for woods defense) can anyone please tell me WHY we haven't seen any with a proper 6-7.5 or even 9.5 barrel like on the .44 Redhawks?

Honestly, I just wanna see Ruger flood the market with them so I can finally snag an old '85 Redhawk .357 with plenty (six) shot chamber for less than "collectible" money.

Just can't understand why they make this ONLY as a snub.
Old July 20, 2017, 07:47 PM   #8
turkeestalker

Can't argue with that Sevens, I'd have preferred a reasonable barrel length.
Maybe at least 4 inches?
Old July 21, 2017, 06:09 AM   #9
CDR_Glock

Very nice! Tempting but I have enough 357s.

Another beauty is that it doesn't have a lock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old July 21, 2017, 07:44 PM   #10
reynolds357

I looks pregnant. Seriously, its a fine firearm.
Old July 22, 2017, 04:41 PM   #11
Deja vu

I have the Smith 627 and they are fine guns. 8 Rounds of 357 magnum is pretty good!

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old July 23, 2017, 12:22 AM   #12
tallball

Gorgeous!
Old July 23, 2017, 09:47 AM   #13
wilburmay

OP
Great looking revolver. Is the cylinder recessed to accept moon clips.
Thanks
Wilbur
Old July 23, 2017, 01:53 PM   #14
turkeestalker

Actually yes the cylinder is recessed to accept moon clips, three were included with the revolver.
Old July 23, 2017, 03:00 PM   #15
38superhero

nice...
Old July 23, 2017, 03:15 PM   #16
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Maybe I am late to the Ruger party but I have seen this thing on the market for months and while I can see why some like the idea of that stubby little barrel (seems great for woods defense) can anyone please tell me WHY we haven't seen any with a proper 6-7.5 or even 9.5 barrel like on the .44 Redhawks?
Yup. When this gun becomes available with a barrel in the 4-6" range and full-sized grips it's going to cost me some money.
Old July 23, 2017, 07:01 PM   #17
dgludwig

Quote:
When this gun becomes available with a barrel in the 4-6" range and full-sized grips it's going to cost me some money.
Same here-and I'd love to see the "just right" Goldilocks' length: five inches!
Old July 25, 2017, 09:21 PM   #18
The Kingfish

Yup.. count me in when they give it a 4 inch barrel. Already have the backpacker in .44 mag, it's my favorite snubby.
Old July 26, 2017, 05:32 AM   #19
mk70ss

I have it's big brother. Then 4.2 inch Redhawk .45/.45 combo. Love it.
Old July 26, 2017, 07:45 AM   #20
briandg

I've seen that before...

Courtesy of

viviendocultura.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/toongun11
Old July 27, 2017, 05:03 PM   #21
Model12Win

Excellent carry revolver! That short barrel helps in concealment, for sure.
Old July 27, 2017, 08:44 PM   #22
dgludwig

Any Redhawk revolver is a pretty big and heavy hunk of iron to hide and tote, no matter how short the barrel is. For those that keep a Redhawk under wrap as their EDC, more power to you.
Old July 28, 2017, 04:35 AM   #23
turkeestalker

Though it could be concealed, with it's width and weight I don't see trying to myself.

Could be a dandy back up side arm on a hog hunt or a home defense/garage gun or what have you.

For me it will likely be just something a little different fun-gun, we'll see.

I really wasn't happy with the fit of the grips to the frame and the fact that the medallions were orientated differently on each panel, so it went back to Ruger yesterday on their dime to address it.

The gentleman that I spoke to at Ruger told me that the frame is fit to the grip by hand, which struck me a little odd.
He said that if it were a matter of canted medallions only he would send me new grip panels, but he figured it would need more polishing in order to improve the fit.

I guess again, we'll see.

That is three new Ruger revolvers in one years time, with two being returned to Ruger for aesthetic issues.
At least not for functional issues.
Still, two out of three? Yikes!

Last edited by turkeestalker; July 28, 2017 at 04:41 AM.
Old July 28, 2017, 11:32 AM   #24
briandg

Think about the aesthetic of the butt ugly gun that has taken over the entire country. There is nothing at all surprising about a company sending a thousand dollar piece out, depending on the finely tuned production, and doing mostly a cursory exam on that piece. Very few people will note it. Few Will care if they do.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/coa...upreme-shotgun

Take a look at my coach gun here you will notice that the wood and some of the steel are deliberately made to not fit. There is a large "bump" on the wood contacts, this fit eliminates all questions about hairline fitting. While the block to breech fit on the side is easily fitted precise during machining, the bottom has a lip to avoid expectations. When the barrels are fitted to the block, rather than leave a bit of line that might not polish out or finish well, they laid a line of coin reeding. The recoil pad has an oversized and radiused base, so again, it looks like normal design, not a production flaw.

The genuine article of dodging hand fitting was using laser cut checkering. It's different, and extremely precise, and there isn't any chance of bad cuts on the machines. People look at the laser checkering, it's precise, and since it's flawless, they think "wow, look at that great checkering!"

Every step of the way the used different design specs to avoid having hairline fitting errors, and by throwing away the expectations of perfection, they make people happy and save money. They even engraved the steel with laser dot matrix so they didn't have to spend tens of thousands of dollars running a stamping or engraving unit. Get the machine and set up programming, add all necessary engraving scripts, and with a few clicks or touch pad entries, you can do an engraving, and in less time than it takes to fit the next unit to the cradle, a completely different set can be centered on that touch pad.
Old July 28, 2017, 06:25 PM   #25
Model12Win

With some of the Buffalo Bore or Double Tap loads out now, that short barrel is not hindered for want of velocity.