The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 23, 2017, 09:48 PM   #1
Double Drops

Ruger LC9s

I've found a really good deal on a Ruger LC9s. For those of you that have experience with this gun how well did you like It? I'm considering this for my EDC. Any input would be much appreciated!
Old July 23, 2017, 10:21 PM   #2
Cirdan

I like mine, starting to transition carrying an LCP to the LC9s. I find I shoot it much better, and concealing it isn't that big a deal. Just make sure you carry extra mags.

Practice at the range with flicking the safety off, so you don't have to think about it in real life. When I'm shooting I always present with the safety on and flick it off while aligning sights and taking the first shot of a magazine.

I have a g26 too, but the thickness makes it hard for me to carry except in winter.
Old July 23, 2017, 10:21 PM   #3
TXAZ

I have one and like the size, accuracy and very manageable recoil.
Almost as accurate as my Sig X-5, which is ipmressive.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 24, 2017, 05:37 AM   #4
jetinteriorguy

I bought mine when they first came out, and it's been 100% reliable, very accurate, and super easy to carry. I have tried other guns to get a higher capacity for CC but just keep going back to my LC9s because of its flawless performance. For me, it's a keeper.
Old July 24, 2017, 05:59 AM   #5
jmr40

I sold my G43 after buying one. And I'm a Glock guy. I had one of the original LC9's and didn't like the trigger. The G43 was a good size, but I simply shot the Ruger a LOT better and it holds 1-3 more rounds depending on the magazine. I don't have an issue with Glocks not having a safety as long as they are carried in a good holster. But with this gun, and the way it is carried, I like having a thumb safety.

Winston Churchill
Old July 24, 2017, 06:52 AM   #6
tallball

I had one of the original "non s" ones. It was reliable and accurate. I would have no problems with carrying the LC9s.
Old July 24, 2017, 09:35 AM   #7
Carl the Floor Walker

I am a Ruger fan and range junkie. I bought the LCP when they first came out and have owned 4 of them. I also bought the LC9 when it first came out, put thousands of rounds down range and later bought the LC9S.
First of all, I believe and just my opinion the LCP is way over rated. I would never buy another one. Just do not recommend them. However the LC9S is one of Ruger's greatest semi-auto pistols .Just a terrific well built, solid performer in every category.
Design is very well done, fits great in the hand and I have a large hand with fairly large fingers.
l) It rides very well in my Mitch Rosen belt holster. Very close to the Body.
2) The grip Stippling is fantastic. It holds the gun tight in the hand for great control.
(some will not like the grip as they feel it to harsh at first, but shoot it more and you will come to really appreciate it.
3) The Pistol is ultra reliable. One of the most reliable I have every shoot. Many different ammunition's, and reloads.
4) A very very accurate firearm. Handles fantastic. Many times I have placed successive rounds though the bulls eye's at 7 yds, but the gun really shines at 10 to 15 yards with fast point and shoot training.
5) The LC9S has one of the most touted triggers out there in a single stack 9mm. Hickcock45 is reviewing another gun mentioned the LC9S as having almost a "Target Pistol Trigger) * this could be good or bad depending on your feeling for safety
6) I find the recoil to be very Mild, I shoot a lot so other's may feel that it has a muzzle flip. Not something I even notice.
7) Stock sights are ok, but I had my Smith place on the TFX and they work wonderfully for indoor shooting, out door or night time. My first LC9 I had the Big Dot, and it was just TOO big.
8) I own about 15 magazines and all have functioned perfectly. Very good quality.
9) The "Cool" look. I love the design of the gun, slim, well rounded, and just look great.
10) I sent the first LC9 to my brother in Utah and he is still shooting the gun with no problems all these years later.

* I give the LC9S 5 stars, Ruger got this one right! I highly recommend the gun. There are some nice single stacks out there, I have shot most of them and they all have their merits. But for me, I need nothing else. I am totally satisfied. I believe these pistol will shoot thousands of rounds down the road without a blink of the eye.

Note the other well built gun is revolver next to it, the Ruger LCR9mm, another one of my favorites.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; July 27, 2017 at 05:09 AM.
Old July 24, 2017, 12:16 PM   #8
RECTIFIER

i frequently carry my LC9S, it's small & easily concealed, accurate & most importantly...reliable.

Here it is with my KAHR Ct 380.

Old July 24, 2017, 12:37 PM   #9
Carl the Floor Walker

Rectifier, nice guns. My go to Pocket gun is the Pico, actually bought two of them, and also now own the CW380. I only have 500 rds now through the Kahr with mostly range ammo and love that gun as well. Not quite the quality build of the Pico but still a heck of a lot. And like the Pico is a mild shooter.
I love the LC9S, but at the same time, am seriously considering the 9mm Kahr CM9. I have friends that have them and they shoot great. I see Bud's has them on sale for $259.00. I will own one eventually, but have to stop the bleeding from the Purchase of the Kahr and accessories like extra mags etc.
The only hesitation with the LC9S is the trigger is almost too light for CCW. However I have been training with safeties all my life, so not really a big deal. I like the longer but very smooth trigger of the Kahr.
I also hope to shoot a Beretta Nano in the future. I really like the Modular design.
Old July 24, 2017, 05:59 PM   #10
Minorcan

I have carried a SDS 45 for a long time but I live in the hot south where lack of clothes makes concealed carry a little more difficult. I bought my wife one and she likes hers. I ended up buying me one and really like it. Its, reliable, accurate for what it is, shoots any ammo I've fed it and is so easy to conseal. What's not to like?
Old July 24, 2017, 06:26 PM   #11
Vulcannut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Drops View Post
I've found a really good deal on a Ruger LC9s. For those of you that have experience with this gun how well did you like It? I'm considering this for my EDC. Any input would be much appreciated!
As everyone else stated the LC9's is a fine gun. I have an original LC9 and have thought of adding an LC9s to the stable but as I also have a couple of M&P Shields I have enough single stacks for now. The trigger is really nice on the LC9's. Some of the ones I have handled were almost too nice for CCW but that's just me.

Things to consider is there are plenty of add ones for the LC9's such as lasers, holsters, and sights as most of which works on the original LC9 so you will have plenty of options both new and used.
Old July 24, 2017, 06:49 PM   #12
stagpanther

I bought an LC9s pro when they first came out, my first impression was that it looked a little underbuilt at first but I've never had it choke so far. The only thing that gets a slight minus in my book is the disassemble procedure that requires a retaining pin to be unlocked and popped out. I like "real" sights better too. The lcp is what I would consider a true minimalist conceal--but it's mostly a quick point and shoot at 5 yds or so IMO--the LC9s would be the next step up--but it definitely is not a "prints like a cellphone" which the LCP is.
Old July 24, 2017, 09:33 PM   #13
tlm225

My wife carries one. It's been 100% reliable and she likes it, shoots it well. I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy for a small gun.
Old July 25, 2017, 01:05 PM   #14
vba

I carry the LC9S in the summer a lot. Would not and did not choose the Pro model because the trigger is too easy to pull. I want a safety on a gun with such a light trigger.

I removed the magazine safety which was easy enough.
Old July 25, 2017, 01:27 PM   #15
stagpanther

Quote:
I carry the LC9S in the summer a lot. Would not and did not choose the Pro model because the trigger is too easy to pull. I want a safety on a gun with such a light trigger.

I removed the magazine safety which was easy enough.
I thought a lot about that--the ruger trigger is almost identical to a springfield XD's in form and function IMO.
Old July 27, 2017, 09:55 PM   #16
Mosin44az

Good size, can carry in front pocket. Recoil a bit harsh though better than the Kel-tec PF9 it copied. My LC9s had an amazing trigger and incredible accuracy, but would not dependably run defense HP loads, so it's gone, replaced by an excellent Glock 43.
Old July 28, 2017, 12:29 AM   #17
TruthTellers

While I don't have experience shooting the LC9s, I will say it is the one and only single stack 9mm that I would spend money on. Wait... it's one of two single stack 9's I'd spend money on, the other being the Sig P938.

The LC9 is such a thin pistol, it's actually thinner than a Glock 43 and many other single stack 9's, so it will feel easier to carry. Also, as other's have mentioned it's able to take 9 rd extended magazines that also increase the grip length.

To me, if you're going to carry a small pistol like the LC9 or LCP or whatever and you're going to carry a spare magazine, you would be best served getting something that is over standard mag capacities and can increase the grip and make shooting easier.

The Glock 43 doesn't share such a feature, among many other single stack pistols, and that's why I think the LC9 isn't just a good choice, it's one of the best choices one can make for a single stack.

Personally, I prefer subcompact pistols like the Glock 26 because they're equally as small, just thicker and a bit heavier, but they hold more ammo.

Is capacity everything in a pistol? No, but when you need and don't have it, you're in trouble.
Old July 28, 2017, 12:35 AM   #18
roashooter

Quote:
it's one of the best choices one can make for a single stack.
how can this be a valid point when you say this?

Quote:
While I don't have experience shooting the LC9s,
Old July 28, 2017, 12:37 AM   #19
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by roashooter View Post
how can this be a valid point when you say this?
Read the rest of my post and you'll see.

Bottom line: Size Matters *giggity*
Old July 28, 2017, 12:46 AM   #20
roashooter

Quote:
Read the rest of my post and you'll see.
I don't see...your point...
Old July 28, 2017, 04:42 AM   #21
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
While I don't have experience shooting the LC9s, I will say it is the one and only single stack 9mm that I would spend money on. Wait... it's one of two single stack 9's I'd spend money on, the other being the Sig P938.

The LC9 is such a thin pistol, it's actually thinner than a Glock 43 and many other single stack 9's, so it will feel easier to carry. Also, as other's have mentioned it's able to take 9 rd extended magazines that also increase the grip length.

To me, if you're going to carry a small pistol like the LC9 or LCP or whatever and you're going to carry a spare magazine, you would be best served getting something that is over standard mag capacities and can increase the grip and make shooting easier.

The Glock 43 doesn't share such a feature, among many other single stack pistols, and that's why I think the LC9 isn't just a good choice, it's one of the best choices one can make for a single stack.

Personally, I prefer subcompact pistols like the Glock 26 because they're equally as small, just thicker and a bit heavier, but they hold more ammo.

Is capacity everything in a pistol? No, but when you need and don't have it, you're in trouble.

Obviously a personal preference. I would much prefer the slimmer grip, so really is a mute point. And I feel more than competent with the results when shooting the gun. Especially with fast shooting. For the reasons you choose the Glock size are the reasons I choose to not want a Glock.
For CCW have the LC9S has plenty of fire power. Unless of course you see yourself in a LA style shoot out. I guess if you feel the need carry a number of mags strapped to your belt then that is up to you. I doubt nor Have I seen any real world satistics that show that you will be reloading in a fire fight. Most assaults are over quickly with not even full mag shot through.
What other single stack would I be interested in? Actually plan on getting one soon, is the Kahr CM9.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; July 28, 2017 at 06:30 AM.
Old July 28, 2017, 11:28 PM   #22
Reader850

I would be very interested in an LC9s if I didn’t already have an outstanding Kahr PM9 plus its superb CT LaserGuard. But I’m intrigued by the LCR9 revolver; it may be my next purchase.
Old July 29, 2017, 06:38 AM   #23
Carl the Floor Walker

I love my LCR9mm revolver. It is what I call a "Fun Gun". I just enjoy shooting it. I was a lousy shot with the Snubbie at first but shoot it almost each week and have become very confident. I shot it at first with the stock grip, and then the Diamond Pro, and finally found the Batam Boot Grip which was perfect. I find the recoil on the mild side, just to the point where it is fun too shoot yet enjoy the recoil.
And by the way, as I mentioned, I am interested in getting the Kahr CM9, especially after purchasing the CW. The trigger on the LC9S is great, but as poster said, maybe too great.

Here is a great review if you are interested, by Bruce at Mouse guns.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/search?q=lcr+9mm

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; July 29, 2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old July 29, 2017, 08:50 AM   #24
kraigwy

I have a Ruger LC9s Pro. Its striker fired but has no safety. Its the best trigger I ever found on a striker fired pistol. For some odd reason its the easiest semi to shoot I have.

The 3 dot sights just seem to line up perfectly every time I present the pistol with no effort on my part.

For a small pistol, its extremely accurate. I've only had it a bit over a year, probably have close to 1000 rounds out of it and never had an malfunction.

The only thing I dont like about it is the take down pin has to be completely removed to field strip the pistol. I haven't but it would seem to be an easy part to loose and would be hard to find in the carpet.

Normally I'm a revolver shooter and do my yearly LEOSA qualification with a revolver. This year I qualified with the LC9s Pro and smoked the course.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 29, 2017, 08:59 AM   #25
stagpanther

I have same Kraig and feel the same way--comparing it to my SA XD it seems like ruger borrowed some of their best features with the trigger and sights.