The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 21, 2017, 03:59 PM   #1
JJ45

NRA Carry Guard

This is insurance against possible financial and civil consequences of using a firearm to save your life.

They have 3 programs, the best being Gold, which offers $1,000,000 for civil protection and $150,000 for criminal defense.

Good idea but are there any better alternatives? Any opinions?
Old July 21, 2017, 04:34 PM   #2
JoeSixpack

I'd kinda like to know as well.
Years ago when these type of insurance hit the market I mocked them.. many of us did.. but depending on how cheap it is im starting to wonder if there isn't some merit to them.

As sad as the thought of needing a million dollars to defend your self on a proper and clean self defense shooting is, It's sometimes (not always) the reality of life.

I wonder if 150k for criminal defense is enough? how much is it for this coverage a month? or do they have risk factors they evaluate you for? live in a high crime area pay more?
Old July 21, 2017, 05:47 PM   #3
JJ45

$31.95 a month for the million for civil and 150K for criminal...

$21.95 (Silver Program) will give you $500K for civil and 100K for criminal.

Bronze $13.95 a mo. for 250 K Civil and 50K criminal.

Doesn't sound like much protection in today's world but probably better than nothing.
Old July 21, 2017, 06:16 PM   #4
JJ45

Oops! I missed this. There is also a Gold Plus

$1,500,000 for civil
$250,000 for criminal
Old July 21, 2017, 08:16 PM   #5
JoeSixpack

Hmm, Honestly more expensive then I would have thought.

Given so few of us will ever be involved in a shooting in the first place I'd think overall risk is rather low.

I agree it does not sound like much for defense if you want the best.
Old July 27, 2017, 10:08 AM   #6
jreXD9

U.S. Law Shield runs me about $12/month.
Old July 27, 2017, 01:37 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Keep in mind that there's a difference between a pre-paid legal services plan and an insurance policy that also covers damages. Also, some legal services plans may pay for your attorney in a criminal proceeding, but perhaps not in a civil proceeding related to the same shooting.

Be sure you're comparing apples to apples. It's NOT easy. If it were easy, I would have decided which plan to buy into a long time ago.
Old July 28, 2017, 06:33 AM   #8
Don P

Quote:
Good idea but are there any better alternatives? Any opinions?
US Law Shield, web site, https://www.uslawshield.com/
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 28, 2017, 10:33 AM   #9
Minorcan

The US Law Shield sounds great but I wonder ... we are dealing with lawyers and well ... lawyers can take your money and then weasel out delivering. Has anyone used them and what was the outcome? They have a "Legaleze" page for each state and it sounds almost to good to be true.
Old July 28, 2017, 10:37 AM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

US Law Shield is a legal services plan. It pays for attorney fees only. Even expert witness costs are extra. It is NOT an insurance plan.

NRA Carry Guard IS an insurance plan, so it covers more than just attorney fees.

Seriously, people, before you even start trying to compare plans, begin by learning the difference between a legal services plan and an insurance plan. Then start looking at what other insurance you have that may cover you if you are involved in a self-defense shooting -- or may not. If your homeowner's insurance doesn't cover you, maybe an inexpensive "umbrella" liability policy will. But ... an umbrella policy may not cover self-defense shootings, either.

You need to know your exposure before you can make an intelligent decision between a legal services plan vs. a comprehensive insurance plan.

Disclaimer: I am an NRA-certified instructor, but I am not a Carry Guard instructor. I am not advocating for or against Carry Guard. I'm still researching. The problem is, the more research I do, the harder it becomes to make a decision.