The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 11, 2017, 09:47 PM   #1
CalmerThanYou

Exposure when Shooting

The other day I was at the indoor range, putting a lot of shots down range with my Kriss Vector. I had the thought about how close my face is to the barrel and the rather large amount of smoke, gas and other material making quite a haze to see through.
I am not a worrisome person in particular, but it made me wonder about exposure to all those factors. Anyone ever consider this?
Old July 11, 2017, 09:55 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Most people who shoot at indoor ranges have probably considered this. It's less of a problem with newer ranges that have well-designed ventilation systems, and perhaps more of a problem with older ranges. Ideally, there should be a duct supplying fresh air directly behind the shooters, and the exhaust vents should be located down-range so the fumes and powder residue are immediately drawn away from the shooters.

I shoot at an indoor range. several years ago a routine blood test showed elevated blood lead levels. I severely cut back on the amount of shooting I do, and the level is back within the normal range.

If you're shooting through a haze, you might want to look for a different venue for your shooting.
Old July 12, 2017, 01:08 AM   #3
Machineguntony

Another issue to consider is the hearing damage. No matter how much hearing protection you use, even double pro, you'll probably get some amount of hearing damage. Remember that it only takes exposure to decibels above 85 to permanently damage your hearing.

I make it a point not to shoot next to someone shooting a large rifle.
Old July 12, 2017, 12:04 PM   #4
Tony Z

Most insurance carriers of indoor ranges will "critique" the system before providing coverage and offer "suggestions". There can be a real health hazard from primers firing, lead, etc., so ventilation is needed. Proper eye and hearing protection is a must.
Old July 12, 2017, 12:17 PM   #5
JoeSixpack

Any indoor range should have proper ventilation.. it should be drawn down range.

Now that's not to say you won't end up with dirty hands and maybe some on your face but the bulk of it should be headed down range and unless the indoor range is allowing full auto, black powder or something I've never seen a indoor range with proper ventilation get "smokey"

Of course eye and ear protection should be worn regardless indoor/outdoor.

If you are concerned have your doctor check your blood for lead levels.. that's what would concern me the most.
I've heard of range officers getting lead poisoning but these are people who spend nearly every day at the range as their job.

Not you and me who go once a month or even once a week or even a few hours a couple times a week.
Old July 12, 2017, 12:23 PM   #6
CalmerThanYou

Thanks for the input. I will inquire about the ventilation system in place. I think I create a more than typical haze with that firearm due to the very short barrel, proximity to the shooters face and the urge to run it at volume I would not with other firearms. I have excellent quality hearing and eye protection, wear gloves, but this ventilation situation is beyond my control. Inquiring will at the very least let them know members are interested in the system in place or possible improvements that could be made.
Old July 12, 2017, 12:47 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

What does "run it at volume" mean? I've never encountered an indoor range that allows rapid fire.
Old July 12, 2017, 01:14 PM   #8
CalmerThanYou

My indoor range has no restriction on rate of fire.
Automatic firearms are permitted after gaining permission and going through some sort of qualification.(Not sure what that entails) I do not own any so that is not something I looked into and they do not rent them.
Old July 12, 2017, 01:29 PM   #9
FireForged

if you shoot a lot you might want to get outside. I have never been impressed with any vent system of any indoor range. I generally avoid them for a host of reasons.

If I simply had to use them I would go during a time when activity is low and I wouldn't loiter around all day.
Old July 12, 2017, 05:58 PM   #10
Mike38

The indoor range I'm a member of has very good ventilation. Vertical PVC pipes between each lane blowing fresh air from outside, even heated during the winter. And two large exhaust fans down range. If you pay attention, you can feel the air movement going away from you. That, and I usually shoot early mornings such as 6:00am to 7:00am and 95% of the time I'm the only person there.

But, there's always "that guy". I was at this range on an afternoon. All lanes where full. For what ever reason, one guy suddenly decided he was going to sweep the floor, six lanes wide by 25 yards long. He used a regular push broom, and demanded that the ventilation system was off. The dust (lead dust I'm sure) he was churning up from the floor looked bad. Needless to say, I quickly packed up and left. I did mention something to him about breathing all that lead dust from the floor, he basically told me to shut up and mind my own business. Okay, you're the one with elevated lead levels, not me.

Common sense goes a long ways. Good ventilation, wash your hands and blow your nose after shooting, I think for the most part, everything will be fine.
Old July 12, 2017, 07:04 PM   #11
CalmerThanYou

Odd thing for me is my outdoor gun club is VERY particular about rate of fire. It is in the bylaws when you join. I understand because there are residences nearby, so keeping some harmony between the club and it's neighbors is a factor. I have a RPR I take there to slow it down and really make every shot an event
I only shoot handguns and pistol caliber guns indoors. But when I do I like to put as many rounds down range as I desire, because I can.
Bringing a AR or more indoors to shoot 25 yards makes no sense to me. Tomorrow when I shoot indoors I will pay much more attention to the system and ask the owner about it. Sure makes me jealous of you lucky ones that have private land or wide open spaces to shoot outdoors.
Old July 12, 2017, 08:57 PM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

check blood for lead level
Old July 13, 2017, 07:39 AM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmerThanYou
I have a RPR I take there to slow it down and really make every shot an event
What's an RPR?
Old July 13, 2017, 08:33 AM   #14
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
What's an RPR?
Ruger Precision Rifle?
Old July 13, 2017, 09:51 AM   #15
CalmerThanYou

Yes I shoot the Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor outdoors of course.
Old July 13, 2017, 10:44 AM   #16
tangolima

Some people, range officers included, simply don't believe the existence of lead hazard at firing range. They eat, drink, smoke on the firing line. Perhaps 2nd amendment trumps everything in their lives. Hard to understand.

I don't go to indoor ranges. Even shooting at outdoor range, I take precautions.

-TL
Old July 13, 2017, 10:45 AM   #17
g.willikers

If you are concerned, wear a protective mask.
Even the simple paper ones from the hardware store can significantly help.
Or better - a painters basic one with replaceable filters.
If you want to get fancier, there's canister type gas masks.
Old July 13, 2017, 04:17 PM   #18
mellow_c

I frequent an indoor range, and while they have a good ventilation system, I found that with certain .22 pistols and ammunition there would be big clouds of smoke circling back around towards me before eventually settling in to the current of air flowing down range.

It caused me some concern, so I bought one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/3M-P100-Parti.../dp/B0006FMK0W

I tend to use it specifically when I plan to do a high volume of .22 practice at the range, otherwise I dont bother with it.

I remember the first time I wore it the employees at the range gave me a hard time, not to mention that it is PINK, but they admitted that it wasn't a bad idea.
Old July 13, 2017, 04:57 PM   #19
Ricekila

When we're done with the shoot-in part of our Women-on-Target classes -- we tell them to go right into the washroom - wash their hands & blow they're noses -- real good --

Μολών Λaβέ