The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 8, 2010, 05:11 PM   #1
Conrad85

Alliant Unique substitute

I currently load 10 grains of Unique with a 240 grain lead cast bullet for my 44 magnum. The only problem I have with the powder is that it does not meter consistently with the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. Can anyone recommend a powder that meters well and would produce similar results as 10 grains of Unique?
Old April 8, 2010, 05:35 PM   #2
mbopp

Hmmm... Try WW231 or HP38 (same powder). They're a tad faster than Unique but work well in my 44.
Old April 8, 2010, 09:46 PM   #3
Loader9

According to the Alliant website, your load is way over max. They say 6.3 grs of Unique as max. But if you want a powder that meters like water, burns ultra clean, and uses about the same amount weight wise as Unique, look to Accurate AA5.

FWIW, I personally think the Alliant website is wrong. The shown velocity is only 820'ps which is a plinker at best.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...32&bulletid=46

Accurates website shows much more potential in the lead bullets.
http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/P...20to%20135.pdf
Old April 8, 2010, 10:13 PM   #4
Sport45

The Alliant data is low because of the bullet they are using. The Speer LSWC is a swaged bullet and pretty soft. They probably chose a velocity that was below the leading threshold in their testing. Accurate doesn't list which bullet they used.

Oops! The swaged bullet is in their .44spcl loads. They do show a cast bullet in .44mag. It does appear to be a fairly light charge of Unique listed as max.

On edit: I forgot to mention that Hodgdon Universal Clays is considered to be a near-twin to Unique and is supposed to meter better and burn cleaner. I hope so, since I have a 8# jug of the stuff that I will open when my Unique is gone.

Last edited by Sport45; April 10, 2010 at 02:31 AM.
Old April 8, 2010, 10:34 PM   #5
joneb

I switched from Unique to AA#5 and I like it, but other suitable options would be Universal or True Blue.
I have a Redding model 3 powder throw and it does not like Unique.
Old April 8, 2010, 11:46 PM   #6
Elkins45

It's a shame Unique burns so dirty and hangs up in meters because it's one of the most versatile powders ever made.

10 grains of Unique is my standard load for cast bullets in rifles, for case forming with corn meal, and in several revolver loads.

Universal Clays is similar in burn rate, huh? I may have to try some!
Old April 9, 2010, 07:55 AM   #7
Sevens

The Alliant data is a cowboy action load which always varies GREATLY from real lead bullet loads for almost any purpose.

And though Alliant's printed guide is useful, their website is the WORST in the industry for getting almost any kind of usable load data with their powders. It's such a cheap imitation of a real resource that it annoys me.

I use a lot of Alliant powders but I feel like I'm on my own when it comes to load data. They either assume that everyone buys high dollar Gold Dot bullets, or they actually think that some poor slobs will read their data and run out and buy those over priced Gold Dot slugs for reloading.

Hodgdon, on the other hand, puts together a very comprehensive web resource for load data.
Old April 9, 2010, 10:01 AM   #8
Sam06

I used the last of my unique up last year and I am not going to ever buy it again. I have switched to AA#5 in place of Unique in all my Pistol loads. I was using AA#5 only in 45 ACP but I tried it in my 41 mag and it worked great. In 44 Mag, 41 Mag 45 Colt or 45 ACP with lead or Jacketed bullets at med veloicty AA#5 is my go to powder. AA#9 could replace 2400 at some point in time
Old April 9, 2010, 10:53 AM   #9
AlaskaMike

I liked 10 grains of Unique with my own cast RCBS 250 grain Keith SWCs, having got the load from seeing it in a couple of John Taffin's books. But once I discovered Power Pistol I ditched Unique. Power Pistol is also a round flake powder, but the flakes are much smaller and because of this it meters much better than Unique. It's a little slower than Unique, so it takes slightly larger charges to make the same velocity, but on the other hand it's much less volatile at the upper end of it's pressure spectrum than Unique.

More importantly, my new loads with Power Pistol (also 10 gr. charge weight) are every bit as accurate as my Unique loads. I also have much less powder residue on my hands and forearms after a range session.

Between 231 and Power Pistol, I don't have much use for Unique anymore.

Mike
Old April 9, 2010, 12:58 PM   #10
dwhite

Hodgdon Universal makes a very good replacement for Unique. Universal meters very consistently through my Lee Perfect Powder Measure easily holding +/- 0.1 grain.

All the Best,
D. White
Old April 9, 2010, 06:48 PM   #11
CherokeeT

231 gives me a very accurate 44 Mag mid-range load, but its not for Max loads. 231 is my most used powder in everything from 25ACP thru 45 ACP. It replaced Unique in my loads over 30 years ago.
Old April 9, 2010, 08:08 PM   #12
oneounceload

Another fan of Universal Clays - while mostly a shotgunner, I use the same powder for my pistols. When I ran out of Unique, (and got tired of its dirty characteristics), I switched to Universal. The loads in both pistol and shotguns are ALMOST identical (consult your manual)

Good Stuff!
Old April 9, 2010, 09:42 PM   #13
Conrad85

Thanks for the replies. I guess when I use up the rest of my Unique, I'll give Universal a try.
Old April 10, 2010, 12:01 AM   #14
Powderman

Hm.

I see on the Alliant website, this data for a Keith-type 250 gr LSWC:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...33&bulletid=47

This recipe calls for a max of 11 grains of Unique under the bullet.

My favorite target/midrange load is the old favorite: 8.5 of Unique under the 250 grain, .430 bullet.