The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 24, 2019, 07:49 AM   #1
sparkyv

NASCAR “Gradual Shift” on Guns

Say it isn't so! Looks like NASCAR leadership is gonna Gillette themselves if they decide to side with the left on this matter.

https://blog.k-var.com/op-ed/nascar-...al-shift-guns/
Old August 24, 2019, 08:06 AM   #2
P5 Guy

NASCAR

Remember several years ago the NRA got naming rights to a NASCAR race in Texas? Boy what a brouhaha that caused. Most of the complainers would never be caught dead watching a NASCAR race but they had a lot to say about NRA sponsoring a race. NASCAR relented and next year no NRA races.

I do wonder why a business would ever mention a political stance on any issue.
Old August 24, 2019, 10:09 AM   #3
osbornk

NASCAR has "gradually shifted" in more areas than just guns. NASCAR is NINO (Nascar in name only). Where we once had drivers that were blue collar folks that worked hard all week to get enough money to race on weekends, we not have rich kids who have families or friends who buy them a ride. The "sport" has gone big bucks with drivers being chosen to drive because of the money they can bring rather than their ability to drive. Traditional NASCAR have stopped attending or watching races in droves.

Last edited by osbornk; August 24, 2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old August 24, 2019, 11:15 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I've seen this being discussed on other sites. I lost all interest in NASCAR many years ago. I just discussed it with a friend across town. He said he used to take his family to at least four races per year. That's a lot of money in today's dollars, at today's prices for races. My friend also said that they stopped going to races four years ago, and have no interest in returning.
Jeepaholic
Old August 24, 2019, 03:07 PM   #5
BarryLee

They have been attempting to shed their traditional image in an effort to attract more fans. Obviously this has had the opposite impact as many traditional fans have left the sport while few new fans have jumped on board. Races are now half empty and no longer carried on the major networks. Maybe by being anti-gun freedom they hope the East/West Coast Hipsters will suddenly buy a ticket.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 24, 2019, 03:46 PM   #6
MTT TL

Quote:
Maybe by being anti-gun freedom they hope the East/West Coast Hipsters will suddenly buy a ticket.
Only if NASCAR suddenly starts racing hybrids. There are however a lot of working class folks in the Northeast who enjoy races still. People who work in the auto manufacturing and service industries come to mind. A lot of the manufacturing jobs have moved in to the South but not all.
Old August 24, 2019, 04:24 PM   #7
reynolds357

NASCAR is a joke. Look at the empty stands. Look at the areas that used to have stands that are now torn down so you won't see empty stands. I have not watched a race since they got the bright idea to try to ban the Confederate flag at Talladega. They successfully alienated their base. NASCAR was doomed when they left N. Wilkesboro and The Rock
Old August 24, 2019, 06:46 PM   #8
DukeConnor

I lost interest when the CoT came out.
Old August 24, 2019, 07:48 PM   #9
sparkyv

I only watched a few races anymore as I've dumped cable a few years ago. Now it'll be zero.
Old August 25, 2019, 07:03 AM   #10
USNRet93

Quote:
No kidding..you automatically upset some portion of your customer base. When I owned a biz I never 'supported' any political anything..no posters in my windows, no quotes in support of this or that. Just doesn't make sense to me. A local gun store and range has gone all agro about the duly elected Governor here..yelling recall...the recall signature drive came up very,VERY short but I know more than a few people who said they will never go there again because of their stance. The recall stance included fracking laws, sex ed classes, electoral college and obviously because Gov was gay..plus Colorado's RFL..lots to upset many people.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old August 25, 2019, 07:37 AM   #11
MTT TL

Quote:
They successfully alienated their base.
They priced me and my father out of the market. We used to go to several races a year. The last race we went to was Daytona 1999 and I think the infield RV camping was around $2000 for a three day weekend. Even today I can go to Europe for two weeks for $2000 including airfare, hotel and food.

By the time the 2008 recession started the prices were so crazy high that everyone simply stopped going. They have lowered some prices for entry since then but food stand prices are stupid high.

It is kind of like most other professional sports. Why would anyone want to pay hundred or even thousands of dollars to watch a bunch of millionaires on an ego trip play a game or race? Then they whine like babies when they don't get their way or get enough attention.
Old August 25, 2019, 08:01 AM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Things have changed. As a youngster, I was taught it was unprofessional to bring up sex, politics, or religion in mixed company. You're always going to upset somebody.

Even when I ran a gun shop, we stayed out of partisan politics. We worked to keep our clients educated (and hopefully, motivated) on 2nd Amendment issues, but discussions about whether or not Senator Hornswaggle was having an affair or raising taxes too high were avoided.

Now, it seems some businesses feel compelled to take open, partisan stances on political issues. We've seen a few high-profile incidents in which large companies have done so, and the result was backlash and financial woe. Somebody at the high levels of these businesses really needs to step back and realize it's not worth it.
Old August 25, 2019, 08:40 AM   #13
2wheelwander

NASCAR and the NFL? They still around?
Old August 25, 2019, 01:26 PM   #14
Erno86

The U.S. armed services have realized (with them using commercials on T.V. and other sources at NASCAR races) that recruitment from NASCAR fans, is an important source of inductees.

--- George Orwell
Old August 25, 2019, 02:01 PM   #15
reynolds357

I thought Armed services pulled out of NASCAR and NHRA
Old August 25, 2019, 04:16 PM   #16
MTT TL

Quote:
Citing the high cost-to-benefit ratio, the Marine Corps and Coast Guard ended their sponsorships in 2006; the Navy in 2008 and the regular Army in 2012.
https://inmilitary.com/nascar-military-sponsorships/

Quote:
The Army specifically stated that NASCAR was declining against the Army's core target audience and that NASCAR sponsorship had the highest cost per engagement in the Army's portfolio of sponsorships — three times the next highest program.
https://jalopnik.com/us-national-gua...t-b-1573472370

Core target audience being US Citizens ages 17-35.

The Army National Guard dropped out in 2014 after scrutiny on perks for benefits of ANG leadership from NASCAR. They also dropped out of Indy as well.

Everyone quit due to lack of cost effectiveness.
Old August 26, 2019, 06:35 AM   #17
jpx2rk

I believe the USAF is still a sponsor for the 43 car IIRC, and the 8/17/19 Bristol night race was billed as the Bass Pro/NRA night race. Charlie Daniels does the voice over in the ads. It's Bristol baby. LOL