The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 27, 2019, 10:06 PM   #1
ninosdemente

6.5 Creedmoor Brass Purchasing

I had previously purchased 3 - boxes of Hornady American Gunner (50 qty). So far have gone trough 75% of the ammo. Planning on reloading once I have fired all ammo. Now I found a site where I can buy 100 Hornady brass for $40. I was going to get those then found where I can get 250 Norma brass for $100.

I read the description info for the Norma brass and said they may have to size brass, debur, chamfer. This is something one needs to do for new brass right regardless of brand? To be clear, have never bought new brass. Only factory ammo, shot then reused. The Norma brass is listed at $300 for that qty at regular price.

Really interested in getting those if they are much better than Hornady or should I just get the Hornady brass as I was planning on getting 3 - 100 qty brass?

Thanks for the help in advanced.
Old June 27, 2019, 11:36 PM   #2
Dufus

If it were me buying the brass, I would go with Norma.
Old June 28, 2019, 06:16 PM   #3
ninosdemente

Ok, thanks Dufus for the reply. Thought I would get more opinions. Did see a couple of articles mentioning about the Norma brass being soft though.
Old June 28, 2019, 06:42 PM   #4
F. Guffey

Quote:
Ok, thanks Dufus for the reply. Thought I would get more opinions. Did see a couple of articles mentioning about the Norma brass being soft though.
I also hear that from members of the claims department. Before Norman it was Federal. No one in the claims department measures before and again after.

And then we have a bench rester that shoots cases 45 times with maximum loads without ever measuring the weight of the case and he never experiences loose primer pockets.

F. Guffey
Old June 28, 2019, 06:43 PM   #5
LeverGunFan

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Hornady or the Norma brass. That price on the Hornady brass appears to be typical, but the price on the Norma brass seems like a steal. Starline and Nosler are other brass suppliers that I like. It's generally a good idea to inspect new brass, you can find dented necks in bags of brass, and it never hurts to process them just like fired brass.
Old June 28, 2019, 06:49 PM   #6
ninosdemente

After my last post I just purchased 2 - 250 Norma brass. They were bought in Midway USA in case anyone is interested:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/50...-bulk-packaged
Old June 28, 2019, 06:51 PM   #7
ninosdemente

Now just have to find pricing for bulk projectiles. Thanks guys again for the reply.
Old June 29, 2019, 09:20 AM   #8
roc1

Lapua or Peterson SRP is great. Pockets won’t loosen as fast.
Hope helps
Roc1
Old June 29, 2019, 10:09 AM   #9
hounddawg

Quote:
Now just have to find pricing for bulk projectiles.
Mid South Match Monsters shot well for me, Nosler's website sometimes has seconds, over runs, and blems
Old June 29, 2019, 02:24 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

Ninodesmente,

For the future, you might also want to check out these guys. They have extra hard double-struck heads and control internal volume very closely.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 1, 2019, 05:51 PM   #11
ninosdemente

Unclenick, they sure are pricey.

------

Hounddawg, what would be considered "cheaper" projectiles as I would be looking to buy for general shooting in bulk if possible. I have not been looking into comparing prices for 6.5 creedmoor. I have purchased 4 different brands Nosler/2 different Hornady/Sierra in 140 gr.
Old July 1, 2019, 11:22 PM   #12
stagpanther

Quote:
Lapua or Peterson SRP is great. Pockets won’t loosen as fast.
Exactly this. Lapua all the way for my reloads (when I can find them). Yesterday I was shooting my 6mm creed in the pouring rain. An older starline case which had a moderately loose pocket popped a primer upon firing. Today i went out again and at one point had a "double tap" firing upon releasing the trigger for reset. Turns out a popped primer had lodged under the trigger preventing the disconnector from resetting the trigger properly. Stronger brass usually means reduced powder loads from published maximums in my experience--meaning you'll often get higher velocities (and pressure) with less powder.