The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 16, 2020, 05:41 PM   #1
AKexpat

Pietta 1860 Army With Shoulder Stock

Found this one on GB today. Very nicely figured wood (stock and grips) but just slightly dinged up. If that is a Pietta stock it is better wood than is usually present on the ones sold by EMF. J-hook housing length and J-hook length correct for the 1860 Army gripframe. Datecode BH/1996.

Wish I had some money (as usual!).

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/869736530

Regards,

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old June 18, 2020, 10:02 PM   #2
Old No7

Quote:
Pietta 1860 Army With Shoulder Stock
I've always wanted to get a shoulder stock for my 1860 & 1861 -- but I'll be danged if I'll pay the price they ask.

Guess that's why I don't have one yet...

If you do get it -- keep the left or support hand away from the cylinder gap, and well behind it!

Saw a buddy make that mistake once, and he got some bad burns on his forearm. Luckily he had a heavy shirt on, or his skin would have been toasted even more than it was...

Old No7
Old June 20, 2020, 10:59 PM   #3
jspappap

Maybe we can make one

Does anybody know of plans or patterns for fabricating your own stock ?
Old June 21, 2020, 12:52 PM   #4
arcticap

Someone said that there were dozens of buttstocks posted in the July, 1963 issue of American Rifleman.

"There were dozens and dozens of shoulder stock designs for cap and ball revolvers back in the day. Some designed to fit a single model and others that were generic in style....
...There is a skeleton style shoulder stock for the Remingtons that just screws to the bottom of the grip frame. Another skeleton style that is a clamp on.

I have a article from a 1963 American Rifleman that has about five dozen different shoulder stocks. I'll have to scan it and post it, some interesting stuff." --->>> https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...d-army.519502/
But the scans are no longer visible in the thread.

Below is Sam Colt's buttstock patent drawing. --->>> https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...ndguns.678995/

Folks have created very beautiful buttstocks of their own designs [using mostly wood] but I've never seen any plans posted.
And they weren't copies of Colt's hook style buttstock.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2ai4cj.jpg (83.8 KB, 685 views)

Last edited by arcticap; June 21, 2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old June 22, 2020, 10:09 AM   #5
bedbugbilly

That is a nice piece of walnut on that stock!

I well remember all of the ads in the 60s for the buttstock combinations. It's funny, but for the number of them that had to be made, I have never run across a whole lot of them at gun shows, shops, etc. Makes a person wonder just how many got separated from the revolver over the years and how many got tossed when estates were cleaned out and nobody knew what they were for or that they had any value.

I wouldn't mind having one but as already mentioned, I'll be hanged if I will pay the price they want for them. Line the 1858 Remington carbines - one has to keep their wits about the when shooting to make sure they don't do something stupid like trying to support the gun with their had anywhere on the revolver near the cylinder where flash can cause a quick and serious burn to the supporting hand.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 22, 2020, 02:49 PM   #6
AKexpat

Presently, the current bid is $474 with 6 days to go. I really like shoulder stocked Colts, and have many photos of Dragoons, Navies, and Armies.

I put this cased set together in January for less than $500 but it took about a year to do it. It is an Armi San Marco 1860 Army BD/1994 with full-fluted cylinder (Uberti), original ASM engraved cylinder, no-name stock (which is stained tiger-stripe/shell-flame maple), and accoutrements. I had to repair/re-glue the case dividers as most were loose. An enjoyable project.

Regards,

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon