The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 7, 2020, 08:22 AM   #1
deerslayer303

Anyone Making a true Fixed Firing Pin SAA?

HEY YA'LL,

Its been a while since I posted. I hope the New Year is finding each of you well. And for this New Year I wants me a 7.5" SAA with a FIXED firing pin. Pietta of course has the transfer bar. And Uberti has this retractable firing pin. Well I'm no engineer. But I don't want any additional crap in my SAA to break. So is anyone making a TRUE fixed pin SAA now days that doesn't cost 2 grand?

Thanks in Advance,
Old January 7, 2020, 03:37 PM   #2
woodnbow

could you buy the Uberti and replace the hammer?
Old January 7, 2020, 04:51 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Doesn't Pietta still make one with a proper hammer?
Jeepaholic
Old January 7, 2020, 05:04 PM   #4
pete2

Colt sells the real SAA with a fixed pin.
Old January 7, 2020, 05:43 PM   #5
deerslayer303

I'm not sure if Pietta makes one with a Fixed Pin. I will have to call around to find out. Maybe Cimarron can answer that. I HAD a Pietta Frontier with the transfer Bar, it is the reason I don't want that system anymore.

Pete2, I'm sure they do, PM me your CC number and I would be VERY Happy to own one! LOL
Old January 7, 2020, 08:25 PM   #6
Hawg

I have a Uberti/Cimarron made in 2000 that has a firing pin block in the hammer that can be removed. It doesn't have a true Colt profile but it's not too bad.

Old January 7, 2020, 09:24 PM   #7
deerslayer303

Nice looking Piece Hawg! Don't really like the transfer bar in these Italian Clones. My Pietta Frontier broke me of that. The Ruger system works much much better. I'm looking at the Cimarron EL MALO. It looks like it has the pin on the hammer but I'm not sure if it has any other "Safeties". While its not true to the design with its Octagon Barrel. I think it looks pretty cool .
Old January 8, 2020, 02:20 AM   #8
Hawg

The El Malo is made by Pietta. It's a 73 clone with an octagonal barrel. It does not appear to have a hammer safety of any kind. It does appear to have an extended cylinder pin which my Cimarron also had but I cut mine down to make it look right.

Old January 8, 2020, 09:42 AM   #9
Msauter

Check out Standard Manufacturing. They are making a quality SAA model with a “true” four-click action.
Old January 8, 2020, 10:12 AM   #10
Hellgate

The Uberti Hombre SAAs have the fixed firing pin in the hammer. They were for under $300. The blued version is similar. I cant remember the model name but it is built the same. There is a little rotating part that prevents discharge unless the trigger is pulled but it is not a transfer bar.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old January 8, 2020, 08:19 PM   #11
denster

EMF Great Western II by Pietta will fill the bill in any of its many iterations.
Old January 9, 2020, 12:14 PM   #12
blfuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by denster View Post
EMF Great Western II by Pietta will fill the bill in any of its many iterations.
^^^This^^^

I recently purchased a EMF Great Western II Californian with a 5 1/2" barrel and I am very impressed with the quality of the revolver. This is made by Pietta. It has a floating firing pin, pressed in recoil plate and walnut grips that have a very nice flame to it. Four clicks when you cock the hammer. Sights are of the wider variety for easier sighting

It also has a hand spring setup similar to what Ruger uses with a coil spring and detent instead of the leaf spring on the hand. No more broken hand springs.

The only thing is that the base pin is an extended type with two grooves for the cross pin. This is sort of a safety mechanism that prevents the hammer from contacting the primer. For authenticity, this is easily fixed by cutting it to the proper length or you can buy an aftermarket base pin. Or if you want you don't need to do anything and leave it as is.

I'll post some pics this weekend. Very impressed with it.

Last edited by blfuller; January 9, 2020 at 12:20 PM.
Old January 9, 2020, 12:17 PM   #13
blfuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Doesn't Pietta still make one with a proper hammer?
They do.
Old January 10, 2020, 08:41 PM   #14
Catman42

my latest uberti cattleman had the retractable firing pin and it just didnt work. even broke a couple of spings. so i called taylor and told them and they said easy fix. i bought from them a new trigger and hammer of the old school. gun shoots fine now just as the older uberti colts do. if i ever buy another uberti with the retractable firing pin that is worthless, ill just put out the extra money for a old style hammer and trigger. problem solved.
Old January 11, 2020, 03:17 PM   #15
blfuller

EMF Great Western II Californian on raccoon...

Old June 8, 2020, 12:07 PM   #16
Jakeway

I have an Cimmaron Uberti 1873 7th Cavalry "Old Frame" manufactured in 2018. It has 4 clicks, fixed firing pin. It doesn't even have the little latch thingy you can see on the rear of the hammer.

It cost me just over $500.

Be careful; Cimmaron sells two versions of this gun; the Pietta version does NOT have the 4 click hammer. Call the seller and be sure you get the correct version.

I have no idea if the 2020 manufactured models are still 4 click, but I absolutely guarantee that in 2018 they were four click.
Old June 20, 2020, 01:03 PM   #17
rclark

I just bought a .45 Colt 5 1/2" Cimmaron/Uberti Model P with the base pin latch (1896 model). It has the floating firing pin and no safety notch (not a 4 click). Other than that the action seems slick, and the trigger pull is around 3# which is a 'little' heavier than I set my Rugers. Okay for this gun though. I'll shoot it a bit before seeing about a new trigger/hammer to make it real 'Colt' like. The throats are right at .452. Lock up is is solid, bolt drops where it should. Cylinder/barrel gap is .008 which will be fine as I am planning on only shooting BP in it anyway. It is a dandy looking revolver too!

Haven't shot it yet as I am baby sitting a phone and have to stay close to home (work on-call), but plan to get out 'soon' as possible!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; June 20, 2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old June 21, 2020, 03:46 PM   #18
Jakeway

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark View Post
I just bought a .45 Colt 5 1/2" Cimmaron/Uberti Model P with the base pin latch (1896 model). It has the floating firing pin and no safety notch (not a 4 click). Other than that the action seems slick, and the trigger pull is around 3# which is a 'little' heavier than I set my Rugers. Okay for this gun though. I'll shoot it a bit before seeing about a new trigger/hammer to make it real 'Colt' like. The throats are right at .452. Lock up is is solid, bolt drops where it should. Cylinder/barrel gap is .008 which will be fine as I am planning on only shooting BP in it anyway. It is a dandy looking revolver too!

Haven't shot it yet as I am baby sitting a phone and have to stay close to home (work on-call), but plan to get out 'soon' as possible!
The replacement parts, if they are even still available, are very pricey. You need a new hammer, and either a new trigger or you have to grind off the internal spur on the trigger that pushes up the firing pin. I have Uberti's with both versions of hammers, and when shooting I can't tell the difference. No way I'd spend over $100 extra just to get another click. But if you want, go ahead.
Old June 21, 2020, 04:24 PM   #19
rclark

I agree shooting it isn't going to make any difference... I it more of just getting closer to having the 'real' thing. When you compare prices with a 'real Colt' an extra $160 or so added to this revolver isn't going to break the bank IF I go that route. See how it shoots first... Also when I was talking with my dad and son today, I had to say it 'looks' like a Colt, but "see here, no safety notch, and has this funky floating firing pin safety" . Ie. not really a true 'replica', it just looks like a SAA from the outside.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old July 9, 2020, 05:09 PM   #20
Maven

I have a couple Taylor's Smokewagons that have the transfer bar. Every now and then, one of them will not fire and I'm positive it's due to this crap. I looked at the schematic and it didn't look like it would be all that hard to machine a fixed pin that seats to the full depth in the hammer spur and then pull out the transfer bar entirely. I didn't see any commercially available parts to do this. Has anyone done something similar?
Old July 10, 2020, 04:02 PM   #21
Dave T

I've been under the impression you can buy a new, old style hammer and trigger and do a simple (for most folks) swap. Haven't done it as I won't buy a single action with a transfer bar (yes, I'm old and cranky - now get off my lawn) but I've read of any number of people doing this on other forums.

Dave