The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 2, 2011, 12:46 AM   #1
golfnutrlv

John C Garand Match Questions

Hey everyone, thinking of signing up for the JC Garand Match at my local club. Match is not until May, and another in July, just trying to find out what to expect, and what I will need to know and practice. I will be shooting my stock Springfield M1 Garand, courtesy of CMP.

The match is CMP approved, here is a description of the stages:
Course of Fire: 2011 John C. Garand Match Course B*
First Stage - Slow fire, 200 yards, Prone. 5 sighting and 20 record shots in 25 minutes.
Second Stage - Rapid fire, 200 yards, Prone. 10 record shots in 80 seconds.
Third Stage* - Rapid fire, 200 yards, Sitting. 10 record shots in 70 seconds.
Fourth Stage* - Slow fire, 200 yards, Standing. 10 record shots in 10 minutes.
*rapid fire stages will begin from position due to range restrictions

So I have a couple questions:

First, the match briefing states .30-06 ammo is available, but do you have to use the approved ammo, or can I use my handloads???

Second, I assume for the prone stage I will be able to use a shooting mat (which I have)

Third, how does the scoring work?

Finally, if you think of anything that I am just not thinking about, that will prevent me from looking "silly" please let me know!!

Thanks everyone!!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old March 2, 2011, 02:00 AM   #2
Sport45

First, the match briefing states .30-06 ammo is available, but do you have to use the approved ammo, or can I use my handloads???

Ammo (and a clip) has been provided at the JCG matches I've attended. You did not have to use it. Your match may have different rules.

Second, I assume for the prone stage I will be able to use a shooting mat (which I have)

Shouldn't be a problem.

Third, how does the scoring work?

You get the score you shoot on your target. X's count 10 and are used as tie-breakers.

Finally, if you think of anything that I am just not thinking about, that will prevent me from looking "silly" please let me know!!

It's hard to look silly at a Garand match. Good folks there that offer lots of help. In fact, you don't even have to show up with a Garand. Someone will loan you one.
Old March 2, 2011, 12:32 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...prevent me from looking "silly"..." Don't worry about it.
Rummage around here for the match rules. http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions.htm
Old March 2, 2011, 02:12 PM   #4
kraigwy

First thing you do when you get to the Match is inform them that you are a new shooter (this goes for any type of competition).

That way they will asign you to a firing point with older shooters to help you get started RIGHT and Safely and scoring.

I'm a GSM Master Instructor, and I and most MIs I know are lax in the coaching rules for new shooters. Not for calling shots and such, but help with positions, using the slings, and inital sight settings.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 2, 2011, 10:05 PM   #5
golfnutrlv

Thanks everyone for the replies. Im going to go ahead and sign up, I have time to get some practice time in before the match.

Appreciate the info thus far!!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old March 3, 2011, 12:35 AM   #6
Sport45

Be safe and have fun!

You can even wear your period fatigues if you have 'em.
Old March 3, 2011, 06:50 PM   #7
Tim R

All of the JCG matches I've been too the ammo rule has been this: If they have ammo on hand this is the ammo everyone gets to shoot. The match fees we have are $25.00 including ammo. Not bad for a day of being with like thinking people. If there was not Ammo available then we got to shoot any safe ammo. I would prefere to shoot my reloads but the Greek ball has not been too bad.

The JCG matches are a real hoot to shoot!

Hey Golfnut, I just noticed your in Spokane.......When and were is the match? Last time I shot at the Spokane rifle club (the one down by the river) they ran out of Ball and we did use our safe ammo.
Old March 3, 2011, 11:10 PM   #8
golfnutrlv

Tim R,

Yes, the match is at SRC. There is one in May, and in July. I'm really looking forward to it.

Here is a link to the match info: http://www.spokanerifleclub.org/file...ohncgarand.pdf

I emailed the match director, and he said there are no ammo restrictions except the usual, no AP, no tracer. I will be using my handloads for sure.
Old March 5, 2011, 02:53 AM   #9
Tim R

OK, thanks golfnutrlv. Don't know if I will be able to make the May match. I'm glad they are having a few rifle matches again.