The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 11, 2019, 02:22 PM   #1
jackstrawIII

Pocket Carry Suggestions?

Hey guys, I have never carried a pistol in my pocket, but I'd like to give it a try. I find that there are situations in which I simply cannot conceal a pistol on my belt, and want a backup option for those special occasions.

Here are my questions:
1. Does any of you actually pocket carry on a consistent basis?
2. If so, what sort of gun do you carry? J-frame, micro 1911, something else? (I'll be sticking with something in either 9mm or 38 Spl, and I'd prefer it to be DA or have a 1911 style safety)
3. Finally, what sort of holster do you use/recommend?

I have zero experience with this carry method, and would like to cut down on wasteful spending in the experimentation phase haha.

Thanks.
Old May 11, 2019, 03:09 PM   #2
BarryLee

I occasionally pocket carry a S&W Model 442 J-Frame in a Uncle Mike's pocket holster. I also usually drop a speed loader in my other pocket just in case. Obviously a pretty basic set-up, but it works.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 11, 2019, 03:10 PM   #3
rwagliardo

Pocket carry is the only way I go now. Either 380 Seecamp or Bonds Arm Bullpup in sticky holsters. Thinking about adding a S&W airlite to the rotation.
Old May 11, 2019, 03:30 PM   #4
JERRYS.

most of this will depend upon your body shape and clothing choice. J frames and various small autos are carried by many. all are concealed, some are unnoticeable, some are quite noticeable.
Old May 11, 2019, 03:42 PM   #5
jackstrawIII

Quote:
most of this will depend upon your body shape and clothing choice
In reference to my body type and clothing choices:

I'm 6'4", 200 pounds, and wear clothes that are on the tighter side. We're not talking skinny jeans and yoga pants, but I work in a professional environment where ill-fitting (aka baggy) clothes aren't cool.

All that to say, concealment is a priority.

Thanks!
Old May 11, 2019, 04:06 PM   #6
reteach

1. I pocket carry almost exclusively.
2. I usually carry a Glock 42. Sometimes a Ruger LCRX in .327.
3. For the Glock I use a Sticky brand pocket holster. With the Ruger I use a Mika holster.

I can carry either setup in a jeans pocket but they are both work better in slacks pockets. The pants don't have to be baggy, just a comfortable fit. I usually keep a spare mag for the 42 in a simple knife pouch or speedloader in a flip-phone pouch. Neither pouch looks tactical. The phone pouch needs a roll of foam as a spacer in the bottom.
Old May 11, 2019, 04:09 PM   #7
totaldla

I pocket carry a keltec pf9 all the time. Follow my sig line for more information.
Old May 11, 2019, 04:12 PM   #8
kymasabe

I pocket carried a charter arms 38 on and off for a while, cant remember the holster, but these days is every day pocket carry with kel-tec p32 with Sticky sm2 holster.
Old May 11, 2019, 04:41 PM   #9
Cheapshooter

Your stature + here. More like ++ LOL
Pocket carry always, but in jeans
almost always as well. LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis most of the time, Kahr CM9 when larger pockets or pocket opening allows. Also in a Nemesis by DeSantis.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 11, 2019, 04:48 PM   #10
JKP

I pocket carry a Sig P938 with the 6 round magazine (the 7 round makes it too bulky in my opinion) in an Unkle Mike's pocket holster. I used to carry a Sig P290RS but didn't like the weight (6 ounces more I think,) or the long double action pull. While I am fine with double action triggers on my S&W revolvers, the 2 finger grip on the 290 made the trigger hard to master. I am suprised how well I can shoot the 938. While a bit pricey, l think it is worth every penny. I am 6'2", 205, so with my big hands the 2 finger grip is still not a problem.
Old May 11, 2019, 05:47 PM   #11
dahermit

1. I pocket carry virtually every day.
2. I carry a dehorned (hammer spur removed), S&W M36 (prelock) snubbie.
3. I use a Bianchi Model 152 Which is about $25 Shipped. Most people pay way to much for pocket holsters that do not do as good of a job as the Bianchi.
https://www.amazon.com/Bianchi-Pocke.../dp/B010B52YQG
Old May 11, 2019, 05:59 PM   #12
buflow

Model 36 stubble in home made leather holster, a wrap around that comes above the hammer. Have my thumb on the hammer as the pistol clears the pocket. This a little difficult to draw while driving but can be done.
Old May 11, 2019, 06:02 PM   #13
MoArk Willy

Give up on the cutting down of wasteful spending of experimentation.
What works for me or anyone else here may not work for you.
I carry a J-frame sometimes and a S&W Bodyguard (.380) sometimes.
I also have a drawer full of holsters including belly bands, ankle holsters and shoulder holster.
"Wasteful spending of experimentation time" is best referred to due diligence on your part. Asking us is just the tip of the iceberg on your part.
Old May 11, 2019, 06:29 PM   #14
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrawIII View Post
In reference to my body type and clothing choices:

I'm 6'4", 200 pounds, and wear clothes that are on the tighter side. We're not talking skinny jeans and yoga pants, but I work in a professional environment where ill-fitting (aka baggy) clothes aren't cool.

All that to say, concealment is a priority.

Thanks!
with regards to suit paints type clothing, today's fashion seems to be a mix of the 1960's shark skin tight pants and mom jeans. I prefer the classic cut in slacks and jackets. this is not only still stylish but has a generous cut that allows you to still carry a handgun without printing much if any, and you don't suffer from groin bulge like the skinny pants show.
Old May 11, 2019, 06:32 PM   #15
Carmady

Quote:
I'm 6'4", 200 pounds, and wear clothes that are on the tighter side.
I'd suggest the LCP, if it isn't too small for your hands. Snubs and tight pants aren't a good combination if concealment is the goal. If the LCP is too "snappy," Wolff 12 lb recoil springs will tame it down.

Maybe a CM9, if you want something larger.
Old May 11, 2019, 06:51 PM   #16
Bill DeShivs

I pocket carry all the time. No holster- just never anything else in that pocket.
I can't get a J frame in my pocket.
But a Keltec P32 is almost unnoticeable both from a weight and printing standpoint.
Old May 11, 2019, 08:05 PM   #17
Nathan

I pocket carry a Kahr CW380.I came to that gun starting with a s&w 640.

The 640 was too heavy and hard to shoot fast loaded hotter than 38+p. It was bulky and printed mostly due to weight. In a jacket pocket, it might still be ok.

Then I went to a Keltec P32. It carried easy and I shot it fast. Targets over 5yds at speed were a waste of time....I guess I didn’t shoot it that well!

Then I went to the cw380 in a pocket holster. I shoot it fast and accurate to 10 yards. I carry it with a spare mag all in one holster. Great gun.

That said, 90% of the time, I find a belt holster or shoulder holster better as I have limited use of my left pockets making the right side pretty full.
Old May 11, 2019, 08:30 PM   #18
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrawIII View Post
Hey guys, I have never carried a pistol in my pocket, but I'd like to give it a try. I find that there are situations in which I simply cannot conceal a pistol on my belt, and want a backup option for those special occasions.

Here are my questions:
1. Does any of you actually pocket carry on a consistent basis?
Almost every day. Saturdays I don't have to care, and carry a big gun IWB for practice. Other days pocket carry.

Quote:
2. If so, what sort of gun do you carry? J-frame, micro 1911, something else? (I'll be sticking with something in either 9mm or 38 Spl, and I'd prefer it to be DA
J-frame (S&W 642) or equivalent (Taurus 605), or XDS9.

Quote:
or have a 1911 style safety)
Ohhh. Ix-nay on the 1911. IMHO & YMMV.

Quote:
3. Finally, what sort of holster do you use/recommend?
DeSantis Nemesis, or Mika pocket holster.

Quote:
I have zero experience with this carry method, and would like to cut down on wasteful spending in the experimentation phase haha.

Thanks.
You've come to the right place.

It helps to have the right pants, with pockets big enough.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 11, 2019, 08:51 PM   #19
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I pocket carry all the time. No holster- just never anything else in that pocket.
The problem I have noticed with holsterless carry with a DA gun isn't really a safety issue, but rather a consistent orientation problem. Without the "sticky" texture and tab on the bottom on holsters like the DeSantis Nemesis the gun tends to roll around, and get upside down in my pocket. Not very expedient to pull a gun out of your pocker by the barrel, then get a proper grip on it. Or taking time to turn it around in your pocket to get a proper grip. I've actually experienced it with my LCP in a roomier pocket. That's when the little bit larger CM9 comes in handy.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 11, 2019, 09:56 PM   #20
TailGator

I most commonly carry IWB, but one or two days a week I pocket carry a Sig P238 in a Remora. The 9 mm P938 is only slightly larger and a bit more expensive. No first-hand experience with it, but my wife and I each have the .380 and it shoots amazingly well for such a small pistol.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:58 PM   #21
wild cat mccane

LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis like above. Magguts springs give your 7 rounds in the stock size magazine.

In professional modern dress, I don't think many others are real options.

Pico is slightly thinner, but worse trigger in my opinion.

Also just got a P365 and have a SmartCarry holster.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:21 AM   #22
Coloradohtr

When I pocket carry I carry a S&W 638 in my right pocket of my jeans, shorts, or sweats without a holster and without anything else in the pocket. During the colder months I just through it in the pocket of my jacket with nothing else in the pocket as well. Its fast, comfortable easy to get to either way. With the bobbed and shrouded hammer it wont snag or hang up on anything when drawing. I also carry a speed strip in my back left pocket.

Every J-frame Smith I've shot and even the Ruger LCR .38spls and .357mags I've shot have been very accurate pistols for what they are and they are very reliable.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:46 AM   #23
Cirdan

Used to carry an LCP in a wallet holster (flat slab of leather backing so it didn't print).

Gave up the LCP when I bought a good gun. Now I mostly carry in a coat pocket with a simple Uncle Mike's.
Old May 12, 2019, 06:22 AM   #24
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
I can't get a J frame in my pocket.
But a Keltec P32 is almost unnoticeable both from a weight and printing standpoint.
Even with the 10 round magazine!
Old May 12, 2019, 07:31 AM   #25
Cosmodragoon

1. I pocket carry about 70% of the time. I started doing it in the summer when I couldn't count on an adequate cover garment for larger guns. It grew on me because compared to other carry methods, it is the quickest, simplest, and easiest by far. (I still carry larger guns with other methods during colder weather.)

2. I started with an LCR 38 and later moved to an LCR 327. I've tried other things but in most of the pants I wear, this works out fine. I prefer either of those calibers to the .380 you get in most pocket semis. The .327 is reasonably powerful without going overboard on recoil, plus it's a six-shooter. The cushy stock grip helps with the .327 Federal. Some people worry about that grip being too grippy in the pocket but believe me, it will smooth up just fine without losing any benefits after some regular contact with your pocket material. I find that the slight curve of the hammerless revolver aids in the draw versus some types of semi-auto.

Carrying a revolver obviates the need to find something without a manual safety. I don't like manual safeties on EDC guns. It's an extra thing to fiddle with on a tool you might need in a hurry during who knows what kind of messy situation. You've already got increased difficulty in seated draws with pocket carry so why lean into the punch?

Revolvers have a reputation for reliability anyway but I've found the LCR to be extremely reliable. About once a month, I'll start a range session with a pocket draw and shoot up my carry ammo. (I recommend the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks in .327 Federal.) I run some rounds through it. I give it a thorough cleaning and some non-toxic lube. Then it goes right back in the holster.

3. I use the Elite Survival in size 3. This is an inexpensive holster but it works very well. It covers the trigger area sufficiently for pocket carry. It carries comfortably. It draws cleanly from most of the pants I wear. (That's a key factor and something you'll want to practice with whatever you choose.) Like with some other pocket holsters, you can draw the gun with the holster attached by sliding a finger over it, holding, and using the correct angle for your pocket. It might not be readily apparent but there are advantages to being able to quickly and safely remove and/or store a still-holstered gun. As far as reliability goes, I literally have over a thousand days on mine. Here is an Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Surviva.../dp/B003C5UR4Y

Tags
concealed carry , edc , pdw , pocket carry , recommendations