The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 2, 2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Chad.C

Boyd gun stocks?

I was looking on the Internet for stocks and I came acrossed Boyd's I noticed they had good prices and stocks for a ton of guns but are they any good
Old November 2, 2013, 06:17 PM   #2
Pahoo

Exceeded my expectations !!!

Quote:
are they any good
For many reasons my measure is that they are the best. I recently bought a thumbhole stock for my Savage-93 and was very pleased with the fit. They exceeded my expectations. .....

In the past five years, I have ordered three of their stocks without any issues. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old November 2, 2013, 07:59 PM   #3
rdmallory

I have purchased 3 and never had an issue with any of them.

Doug
Old November 2, 2013, 09:24 PM   #4
tahoe2

Boyd's just work !

I have a Boyd's walnut (RIA) sporter on my Yugo M24/47 8mm mauser, and a Boyd's Pepper Laminate (Prairie Hunter) on my Son's Spanish 7mm mauser.
I purchased both stocks unfinished, sanded them myself (180, 240, & 320 grit) and hand rubbed them with Birchwood Casey's Tru Oil (7 coats and 5 coats respectively).
They turned out great and have been in the rain many times with no ill effects.
The guns handle with ease, and are easier to shoot well, in the Boyd's stocks.
They are both over 60 years old, but don't feel that way in those stocks.
92551 92552
Attached Images
File Type: jpg handguns 028.jpg (253.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg firearms 013.jpg (248.5 KB, 46 views)
Old November 3, 2013, 05:33 PM   #5
Clark

The Boyd's web site sucks if you are searching to see what they have.
10 years ago I encountered a high pressure salesman on the phone there.

But they have a lot of stocks, and the prices are low. They will custom cut for cheap.

Last month I bedded one, and this is how I did it.

I cut pillars on the lathe from 1/2" aluminum alloy round stock and then mill the ends with a boring head to get a radius that matches the round receiver.

I put the barrelled action upside down in the barrel vise and level it.
I put the pillars on and pre compress them with the action screws.
I set the space between the barrel and stock and between the action and stock with layers of tape.
I put Devcon on the pillars.

I put the stock over the pillared action and wrap surgical cord around them to bind them together.
I level the stock.

After the pillars have cured, I measure the volume of the recoil lug well and the volume of the recoil lug. I calculate how full to fill the recoil lug well with Devcon.

I get the rifle right side up, up in the air, with the recoil lug well filled with the right amount of Devcon, and then I tighten the the action screws.

When done the barreled action only touches the stock at the two pillars and the back of the recoil lug.
The action screws should be such a low compliance connection that they go from first resistance to maximum torque in 10 degrees of rotation.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old November 3, 2013, 05:35 PM   #6
Clark

The barrel should sound like a tuning fork when smacked with an open hand when the rifle is supported at the wrist.

A $109 Boyd's tacticool stock, a $114 Lothar Walther 223 barrel blank, and a $240 Sav action made in 1988 shoots it's first 5 shot group at 100 yards.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old November 4, 2013, 09:16 AM   #7
tahoe2

Amazing

That's Beautiful! both the rifle and the group !! Well Done !!
Old November 6, 2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Chad.C

They seem like goods stocks when I get the cash i might get one for my 10/22 thanks for the help
Old November 6, 2013, 06:50 PM   #9
tobnpr

Great value. They use Rutland Strataply laminates (I buy my blanks from them) and they're high quality. But like any other stock (and laminates are more stable than hardwoods), I'd recommend bedding at least the recoil lug to maximize longevity- and improve consistency/accuracy of the stock.

Keep in mind that for older rifles, esp. milsurps where receiver dimensions can vary final fitting of the action to the stock can be from mild to wild- and their disclaimers say so.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old November 6, 2013, 07:52 PM   #10
Huffmanite

Have bought maybe 5 stocks from Boyds last 4 or so years and they were decent. Mind you some were their unilet stocks that had no inletting, but of the ones that were inletted for a particular kind of action, they were decently done. Mine were all walnut stocks, no laminated ones.

I wouldn't hesitate buying a Boyd's stock, providing I did not want a stock with a top grade/showroom piece of wood.
Old November 7, 2013, 11:51 PM   #11
Jay24bal

Just installed one last night...

So yeah, I like them.

I have a Savage Axis in .223, and the worst part of the gun has always been the stock. Well, Boyds' began offering stock for the Axis in mid-October, and I ordered immediately.

I did have some fitting issues to deal with as they accidentally sent me a prototype from the first run, but they dealt with it incredibly well and there are not enough good things to say about their customer service. I have Boyds' stocks on 3 of my rifles, and like them all. For the money, I do not think they can be beat. I plan to glass bed this new one when my range closes for January and February.

For pics, go here (not allowed to post the same pictures in different threads) - post #35.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old November 9, 2013, 07:50 AM   #12
HankC1

I had 2 early Boyd's laminate stock that eventually show split along the laminate at mag well area. I think now they have their laminate stock enforced with cross pins. Last one I ordered has cross pins and do well so far.