The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old July 21, 2011, 10:09 AM   #51
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
The police can not prevent anyone from speaking.
Obviously you have never encountered a rogue cop! They can and will prevent or force you do things any sane officer would never consider!

Quote:
The caption that it could have been deadly to do otherwise is, in my opinion, ridiculous. I would have repeatedly and loudly stated for the video camera that I was lawfully carring a concealed handgun and have my permit to carry ready for inspection as required by law.
Quote:
I would have repeatedly and loudly stated for the video camera that I was lawfully carring a concealed handgun
Not every brand dern new CCP holder is mentally ready to challenge rogue cops like you would have been after 30 days with the permit... He did his best as he thought thru a new life experience!

"Loudly stating" anything in the presence of a rogue cop is a good way to get additional charges (resisting without violence being one) at least or incite police brutality behavior to name another drawback to this.
Old July 21, 2011, 10:20 AM   #52
Skadoosh

Quote:
"Loudly stating" anything in the presence of a rogue cop is a good way to get additional charges (resisting without violence being one) at least or incite police brutality behavior to name another drawback to this.
Video works both ways in court.
Old July 21, 2011, 11:06 AM   #53
FrontSight

Quote:
From the Canton PD facebook page

"I want to assure our citizens that the behavior, as demonstrated in this video, is wholly unacceptable and in complete contradiction to the professional standards we demand of our officers. As such, appropriate steps were placed in motion as dictated by our standards, policies and contractual obligations. Those steps included: The officer immediately being relieved of all duty. The incident has been referred to the Internal Affairs Bureau for what will be a complete and thorough investigation. As bad as the video indicates our officer's actions were, there is a due process procedure to follow. That process is designed in the best interest of both our employees and the citizens at large. That process will be followed in this case as in all others. Anyone shown to be in violation of our rules and regulations will be help appropriately responsible as dictated by all the facts. ~Chief Dean McKimm"

http://www.facebook.com/notes/canton...07621069290829
Apart from the typo in there: BRAVO!!!! That cop can't handle the pressure, AND he believes he is a ruler over serfs, AND he believes he is above the law. A very, very, very bad combo. If they don't relieve bad apples like this from the force, it will not be long before the police are no longer trusted by anyone, and that will lead to no more police and therefore a complete anarchy or a vigilante nation.
Old July 21, 2011, 12:03 PM   #54
Microgunner

I called the Canton PD and asked what routes were best to take to avoid Canton while traveling through Ohio. The girl didn't laugh.
Old July 21, 2011, 12:04 PM   #55
maestro pistolero

The subject was apparently trying to hand him his CCW license. At 6:52, the officer says "why do you keep having that?" To which the subject replies "because I have a concealed carry".

As an aside, I didn't see consent given for a search. Can anyone spot the RS/PC/consent here?
Old July 21, 2011, 12:10 PM   #56
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Can anyone spot the RS/PC/consent here?
The rogue, troubled cop will claim that the presence of a once (years ago) hooker outside of the car and the unidentified colored fella in the backseat was her "pimp" although he has no proof she is still a hooker so no way to connect the man to her as her business manager will provide his perceived PC...

Brent
Old July 21, 2011, 12:12 PM   #57
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am following this on MANY forums and websites... so far not one officer has come to the defense of this bad guy/cop... NONE!!!

Where are your brothers in blue now mister badguy officer criminal?

Brent
Old July 21, 2011, 01:17 PM   #58
Webleymkv

Quote:
Quote:
Can anyone spot the RS/PC/consent here?

The rogue, troubled cop will claim that the presence of a once (years ago) hooker outside of the car and the unidentified colored fella in the backseat was her "pimp" although he has no proof she is still a hooker so no way to connect the man to her as her business manager will provide his perceived PC...
Does anyone else find it noteworthy that the search revealed nothing and the so-called "hooker" and "pimp" were let go? Only the driver, who had no previous history as the supposed "hooker" did was arrested.
Old July 21, 2011, 01:24 PM   #59
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Does anyone else find it noteworthy that the search revealed nothing and the so-called "hooker" and "pimp" were let go? Only the driver, who had no previous history as the supposed "hooker" did was arrested.
I certainly took note of this!!!

I am just stating what I feel the cop will attempt to claim to justify his poorly executed (no pun intended) traffic stop and search and threats to a man's life and failure to even inform the driver they were going to search under the PC guise and what their PC for the search would be.

One time I got "pulled down", the cop claimed that my refusal to allow the search of my vehicle provided him with plenty of PC. He told me "If you didn't have anything to hide, you would agree to allow me to take a look so I am assuming you have some sort of contraband you are afraid I will find..."... But at least he told me his intention!

Brent
Old July 21, 2011, 01:28 PM   #60
maestro pistolero

. . . and did he search?
Old July 21, 2011, 01:37 PM   #61
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
. . . and did he search?
YES!!! WHILE I WAS HANDCUFFED AND IN HIS BACKSEAT!!!

Brent
Old July 21, 2011, 01:51 PM   #62
Alaska444

Terrible behavior by the LEO. The threats he made against the man appear criminal in my mind. It appears that the man did try to comply with the law, I hope the case is dropped. What a nightmare.

On the other hand, sitting outside in a car that time of night in that area sounds like he was placing his own self in danger of an encounter not only with the cops but bad guys as well. Although it does not appear he did anything criminal, not a smart situation on his part.
Old July 21, 2011, 01:56 PM   #63
BGutzman

The officer was highly unprofessional to the extreme and possibly criminal in his conduct. One could easily take his language to be some sort of terroristic threat.

I personally wrote the city council about this sad situation. I know several people on this forum that dont get the warm fuzzy that I do about law enforcement and it is actions like this officers that lead to those kinds of opinions.

Fortunately I still see the vast majority behind the shield as being honest and honorable people try to do a very difficult job.
Old July 21, 2011, 02:10 PM   #64
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

My father brings up a good point I asked about on their FB page...

Why is this criminal on PAYED SICK LEAVE?
Wouldn't this be a crime in and of it self or at least blatant defrauding of the taxpayer?

Shouldn't he be on "DOCKED PAY ADMINISTRATIVE SUSPENSION"? He would still be entitled to back salary if found innocent of the charges/claims.

Brent
Old July 21, 2011, 02:30 PM   #65
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdogs
My father brings up a good point I asked about on their FB page...

Why is this criminal on PAYED SICK LEAVE?
Wouldn't this be a crime in and of it self or at least blatant defrauding of the taxpayer?

Shouldn't he be on "DOCKED PAY ADMINISTRATIVE SUSPENSION"? He would still be entitled to back salary if found innocent of the charges/claims.
The PO in the video is the subject of a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). The CBA imposes an obligation on the department to handle personnel issues according to its terms.
Old July 21, 2011, 02:32 PM   #66
Webleymkv

Quote:
I am just stating what I feel the cop will attempt to claim to justify his poorly executed (no pun intended) traffic stop and search and threats to a man's life and failure to even inform the driver they were going to search under the PC guise and what their PC for the search would be.
I'm not questioning your analysis as I'm sure that's what the officer will claim. I am simply pointing this out because, in hindsight, his "probable cause" seems rather thin. I could buy "reasonable suspicion" but I don't think that gives justification for a warrantless search.
Old July 21, 2011, 04:40 PM   #67
bikerbill

That is pathetic ... I can't believe the DA hasn't thrown this out, given the guy back his plastic and told the cops to start looking for rent-a-cop jobs. As a patrol officer, how do you approach a vehicle without FIRST securing and identifying everyone in the car. The cop snooping around in the back seat is obviously too stupid to hold his job; if the guy in the front had NOT been licensed and was armed, he could easily have shot that dunce ... the fact that he was licensed would indicate to me that the officers weren't in any jeopardy and if they had approached the driver, as I'm guessing they're taught on day one at the police academy, none of these hysterics would have been necessary. Remember this crap when you hear officers griping about recording their stops.
Old July 21, 2011, 05:42 PM   #68
Webleymkv

Quote:
I can't believe the DA hasn't thrown this out
As I noted in my previous post, the DA appears to be trying to use this as a bargaining chip to ensure that the city isn't sued. I suspect that the case will eventually be dropped because everyone, the DA included, knows this case is weak and stands an snowball's chance in Hades if it were to go to trial.
Old July 21, 2011, 06:06 PM   #69
Eghad

The story was on The Blaze today which means it is national today. That was some of the most unprofessional behavior I have seen. threating to shoot and do physical harm to citizens.

The officer needs to have a fitness for duty exam.

If the DA decideds to take this case to trial he is 100% a fool. The DA prpbabaly needs to turn his energies to making a settlement with this man.

NRA Life Member
Old July 21, 2011, 06:33 PM   #70
zxcvbob

Quote:
As I noted in my previous post, the DA appears to be trying to use this as a bargaining chip to ensure that the city isn't sued. I suspect that the case will eventually be dropped because everyone, the DA included, knows this case is weak and stands an snowball's chance in Hades if it were to go to trial.
It's a weak bargaining chip at best -- the DA really doesn't want to get his ass chewed out by a judge when the defense files a motion to dismiss with prejudice.

Just my layman's opinion.
Old July 21, 2011, 07:02 PM   #71
maestro pistolero

With the release of the video, it going to get really hot for that DA. They better add some phone lines and get some temp staff. I don't expect the charges will stand for much longer.

Two points: That driver needs to get a better class of friends, and officer Richard-Head needs to find another line of work.
Old July 21, 2011, 07:52 PM   #72
KyJim

I will add one point. If it is true the prosecutor offered to dismiss the charges in exchange for a release of liability, he has committed an ethical violation and is subject to sanction. It is improper to use the threat of criminal proceedings to gain advantage in a civil proceeding. That said, I am aware of deals being made for dismissal upon a stipulation of probable cause, making it more difficult to bring civil action against a police officer.
Old July 21, 2011, 08:20 PM   #73
Glenn E. Meyer

Close to a shutdown with the rants. And some of you should know better.

Glenn
Old July 21, 2011, 08:24 PM   #74
American Eagle

This is why I no longer donate to police officer charities. I have seen too many rude and disgusting cops in my life.

I was once walking out of a Starbucks coffee with a cup of coffee in hands. A cop pulls over and asks to see my ID. He asks me why I am having a cup of coffee in this Starbucks when my house is 10 miles away, and there must be closer ones. Then he notices I have a slight accent and proceeds to ask me if I am a US citizen. Mind you that this is none of his business, but when I replied yes, he starts to ask me questions such as whether I am even a resident of the state (never mind the fact I have my state drivers license) and whether I consider myself a loyal American or not. I finally had to ask him to call his supervisor since I was concerned with his line of questioning. Only then did he stop harassing me and let me go.

I filed a complaint with the city. I am a US citizen and law abiding civilian. Unfortunately the city did very little to discipline that thug cop. Things like that, and the incident in this video, makes me dislike cops.
Old July 21, 2011, 09:20 PM   #75
Edward429451

I believe that the incident sparked such fear in the officer that he over reacted.
Is it me, or have the police turned up the heat the last few years? They used to have greater concern for the public at large than they do of late. Performing the PIT maneuver on people for minor offenses is over the top in general IMO.
Closed Thread

Tags
civil rights , concealed carry , threaten