The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 15, 2000, 11:17 AM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

I generally have several pairs at hand because I always break 'em. While attending a firearms instructor's conference, I came across the Uvex Genesis which is pretty tough. The frame is flexible so it won't break. Lens meet military ballistic testing for stopping a .177 cal projectile traveling at 650 fps. They're also detachable so if you break 'em, you can replace them for about $10 - a lot cheaper than buying another pair of safety glasses.
Old October 15, 2000, 04:09 PM   #2
char923

Uvex also makes the Skyer x2 model for under $10 and it looks almost like Okley glasses. Uvex are safety glass, but are Okley safety glass ?
Old October 16, 2000, 03:56 PM   #3
Flatscan

Oakleys have polycarbonate lenses which are plenty tough for general use (they advertise a testing machine that is basically designed to put a giant horn through an eye socket; they ship the dented lenses to dealers), but I'm not sure how good they are against ballistics.

The M-Frame series has a shooter's lens colored for increased clarity that can be special ordered. I'd just as soon use clear at an indoor range, but the plain lenses are $30. I'll save my Oakleys for action sports where comfort, weight, and retention (though perhaps not optics) are more critical, and frequent scratching is not expected.
Old October 17, 2000, 07:39 AM   #4
BigMike

I called Uvex and asked them about their glasses for shooting. The customer service rep stated, "Under NO circumstances are any of our glasses designed for shooting." I don't know if this statement is made to cover their a** in case something happens while shooting, or their glasses aren't safe enough to use while shooting.

I did see the Genesis glasses(on their website) and they do look like Oakleys, and from what I can tell they would work just fine shooting, FWIW.

Mike
Old October 17, 2000, 09:10 AM   #5
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

I use Oakleys. They are the only pair of glasses I can wear with a hat and my electronic muffs comfortably. All other glasses I've tried so far hurt my ears.
Old October 17, 2000, 08:05 PM   #6
bergie

That's kind of wierd about the Uvex cust. serv. rep. saying that, they make one line they call "Eye Armour" advertised as meeting the standard safety glass ANSI-Z87.1 as well as Army test standards, MIL-STD-662.
Resistant to "impacts from a .177 pellet at up to 650 fps or equivalent projectile".

I wear Uvex safety glasses (with interchangeable clear and sunglass lenses) for work, and generally all the time, as well as for shooting, very light weight and comfortable. I have some old scratched up lenses that I replaced, maybe I will have to get my daughters pellet rifle out and see how many pumps it takes to put one through a Z87 approved lens. I doubt that many of the shooting glasses on the market are really that much better than any others, as long as they all pass Z87.
bergie

[This message has been edited by bergie (edited October 17, 2000).]
Old October 18, 2000, 06:30 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Here's the claim from their flyer:

- Uvex Genesis meets military Vo ballistics testing (MIL-STD-622). This test subjects the Uvex Genesis to a direct impact with a .177 claiber cylindrical projectile traveling at a velocity of 650 feet per second. Real eye protection for law enforcement needs.

I think the distinction must be drawn between wearing said Uvex Genesis and being shot in the eye while wearing Uvex Genesis. The latter is something I would definitely not recommend.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be the test bed for any manufacturer's claim. Losing the Mark I eyeball, either (L) or (R), would be devasting and I don't think I can get use to being called either "Captain Kidd" or "Blackbeard". Besides, I prefer to use my rum for cakes.

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!