The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 7, 2000, 10:02 PM   #1
Cliff

I picked one of these up the other day and it seems like a pretty handy little system.

I like its compactness and portability. The breech to muzzle cleaning is also a philosophy I've always tried to follow. On 'closed' receiver rifles, I just use a muzzle guide, carefully feed the cleaning rod down the muzzle, attach the brush or patch in the receiver and then pull it through the barrel.

The Otis system MIGHT make this a little easier. The patch design is interesting, tho the cynical side of me thinks the entire system was designed to sell Otis patches.

My questions -

1) If any of you use this kit, how do you like it?

2) My kit came with a "J" shaped dayglo orange colored piece of solid plastic. It's shown in their instruction booklet, but no reference made to its use. Anyone?

Thanks.

Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff (edited May 07, 2000).]
Old May 8, 2000, 08:49 AM   #2
Rex Feral

I use one in the field, and I think it is great. Mine has everything to clean the rifle AND scope in one handy pouch. If you only use it for one caliber, like I do, the Otis patches are kind of a gimmick. After I used up all of mine I just replaced them with standard patches.

The orange "J" shaped plastic ditty is a fiber optic bore light, pop the long end in your muzzle and it gathers enough light to inspect your bore. Why orange? I don't know. I figure some other colors could transmit more light, but I might be wrong.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.
Old May 8, 2000, 04:43 PM   #3
fight4yourrights

I use Otis exclusively. After meeting them at a tradeshow, and seeing the system in operation on a cut away barrel, I was sold.

They are now selling as standard issue the M16 buttstock kit and the M4 belt mount kit.

www.otisgun.com

PaulB
NRA, GOA, LEAA, MDCL, C.A.N.
Fight 4 Your Rights Homepage
Old May 8, 2000, 08:54 PM   #4
Cliff

Thanks, guys! It seems like a pretty slick system - perfect for taking to the range or in the field.

Rex - Thank you for the heads up on the "J" shaped dealy bob. I tried it as you said (in the chamber rather than the muzzle) and by golly it works! Better than the white piece of paper reflecting down the barrel that I was taught.

Cliff
Old May 9, 2000, 08:43 AM   #5
Rex Feral

Glad I could help, Cliff.

Old May 9, 2000, 12:51 PM   #6
TaxPhd

I have used the Otis system with good results. However, I once had a patch come off in the barrel of my AR-15, and so I was done shooting that rifle for the day, as I didn't have a regular cleaning rod.

If you supplement the Otis kit with a take-down cleaning rod, you should be fine.
Old May 10, 2000, 08:28 AM   #7
fight4yourrights

The Otis kit includes a solid metal piece to knock out bullets. I'm sure you could use that to remove a stray patch.
Old May 10, 2000, 12:11 PM   #8
TaxPhd

My Otis kit doesn't have that. Is it segmented like a cleaning rod? How does it work?
Old May 10, 2000, 01:32 PM   #9
fight4yourrights

Bottom right show the brass obstruction remover attached to the cable.

That's the piece I'm talking about. Given that you are supposed to be able to push out a bullet with it, I would think you could push out a patch.