The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 25, 2013, 10:51 AM   #26
Spats McGee
Staff

On the one hand, I'd like to be in a position where my guns didn't have to be do-it-all kinds of guns. I'd like to have a summer EDC, a fall EDC, a winter EDC, a duck gun and a truck gun. Unfortunately, that's not the position that I'm in, so I have to find guns that fill several roles. On the other hand, I find it satisfying in a way that when I've done my homework and scratched the cash together, I can buy a gun and feel fairly confident that I will do A, B, and C.
Old March 25, 2013, 05:30 PM   #27
-Xero-

Local shop about 15 yrs ago -- when I started this current obsession with accumulating firearms -- they used to run a Saturday/Sunday special. There'd be a crowd of people, more than 100, lots of BS, free coffee, cookies.

Mostly they were selling handguns, and CCW classes. CCW was relatively new and there was a huge market for concealed guns. And boy did they have an inventory, new and used!

So I'd hang out, get enamored over something in the case, take it home. Couple weeks later, I'd be off on a new direction . . . Glock 22, Colt Mustang, K-Frame Smith . . . Or they had a huge stock of "retired" Rem. 870 shotguns from the Denver PD. I'm pretty sure I never bought a rifle from them. My rifles in those days were military surplus Mausers and Mosins out of Big 5 Sporting Goods.

At any rate -- I'd pick up something, trade in something else, on, and on, and on. One day, looking in the "used case" . . . I realized that most of the handguns there were ones that I'd owned at one time or another!

We all know how trades with the shop go -- (Why don't we have a smilie of a "$" with wings?)

These days I have pretty much every gun I've ever wanted. (I missed out on the Colt SAA Bisley in 44/40!) Every caliber, every application. (3 Uzi, 2 cannons)

These days I seem to be accumulating knives. Only I don't trade them in. I just seem to pile them up.

We're still looking for the ideal concealed carry gun --

Quote:
I just bought 2 new pairs of boots (and I already own 4 other pair).
Yeah, boots -- probably more than a dozen pair, and seven bicycles, four tents, three sleeping bags.

Last edited by -Xero-; March 25, 2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old March 25, 2013, 07:43 PM   #28
jackpine

the one gun do all thing was something that came out of another time. back in the early 1900's up to the 1960's lots of shooters had to invest in there guns and just could not afford more than a few so you had the 3 or 4 gun battery being something that was the most a common man could afford and most got by with maybe two guns and you just made it work.
Old March 25, 2013, 09:00 PM   #29
johnwilliamson062

I started trying to buy specialized guns for every "need." I hit 5 shotguns. A trap gun, two shot utility, pump, and semi-auto. Before long I realized I was spreading my practice between them so much that I wasn't worth a darn with any of them. Now a semi-auto with screw in chokes for clays and defense. One single shot with a polychoke for squirrels camping and hiking. Once I realized it with shotguns I saw the same thing with other guns. Glock 27 is my only defensive pistol.

An encore "pistol" that has a 460 barrel for deer and will probably end up with a 204 ruger or 22-250 barrel for varmints.

More than one 22 though

Now that I read that I haven't done that well at paring them down, have I?