The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 1, 2010, 06:51 PM   #1
charlie73

info on px4,fnx40,eaa p carry

hey guys i'm new to the firing line but I am looking for some input.I have searched the forums and found good info but need a little more info.
i have been looking for a new all around 40 to buy. and am interested in the EAA witness P carry, the fnx40 and the px4 beretta. anybody with any info would be great. I had an xd 40 but I really want something with a hammer and DA/SA
thanks
Old December 1, 2010, 07:12 PM   #2
testuser

I'm planning on buying a used FNP on Friday, so I'm a little biased.

I have a lot of experience with the Witness and like mine. Buy it in .38 Super and feed it Mec-Gar mags and you'll have an accurate, reliable pistol with no trouble.

I wish I had originally purchased the EAA .38 Super instead of .40 S&W. It would have cost me the price of a conversion and lot of headaches.

The .40 S&W and 9mm versions of the EAA have feeding issues, because you're feeding a short cartridge in a large frame. You can probably get them to run, but it's not worth it. The factory mags are mediocre and the only aftermarket mags are Mec-Gars (high quality), but they only supplied .38 Super and .45 ACP magazines. Otherwise, you're forced to use the factory mags...not good.

If you want a CZ style pistol in .40 S&W then get a CZ pistol. Nice guns, good factory support and the proper size for feeding 9mm or .40 S&W.

The PX4 looks like a nice pistol, but I prefer the frame mounted controls of the FNX better.
Old December 1, 2010, 07:22 PM   #3
charlie73

thanks

thanks for the info..i am trying to stay inexpensive poly DA/SA with a large capacity in 40. i can get away with getting a gun for not much more cash than I sold the xd for. or I will never hear the end of it at home
Old December 1, 2010, 07:23 PM   #4
insolentshrew

I love my fnx9, lower bore axis on it compared to fnp - best gun I have shot when it comes to little experience/rapid fire accurate follow up shots. I was getting about 5" groups at 15yds shooting as quickly as I could with getting a quick sight picture. The grips don't fit my hands perfect, my fnp felt a little better.

Some pro's of the fnx series - quality gun for the price, interchangeable backstraps to fit your needs, manual safety for cocked and locked carry, decocker, good customer service, all around great shooter

con's - new gun series, some small issues that are being reported (none are deal breakers but just be mindful, such as loose backstraps, wobble with loaded mags, or issues getting the mag to seat properly without giving it some sufficient force inserting) lack of accessories

cant speak for the other pistols you have mentioned, but hope this helps
Old December 2, 2010, 12:47 AM   #5
Mosin44az

I owned a Px4 40, it actually was an excellent gun, ran perfectly, but even with the small grip on it (which I couldn't try at the store) the trigger reach was a bit too long for me, and heavy, so I never could get the first DA shot NOT to hit to the right, at least not consistently.

To me a handgun must be able to shoot where I want without my having to think about it, or struggle, or adapt to it.

Make sure the Px fits your hand, that your trigger finger can easily reach the trigger, and that you like the pull, and you could be very happy with it.

Felt recoil was minimal, much more comfortable to shoot than Glock .40s just for one example.

I also did not like the slide-mounted safety/decocker on my "F" model Px, you have to manually push the safety back up after decocking. I found this pretty tiresome after awhile when practicing DA shots. This is a Beretta F issue, and maybe some other brands that have the old, slide-mounted safety that is a safety AND a decocker. Smith alloy autos and Ruger P 95 come to mind.

The "G" model Px4s I believe are decocker-only, and I would have preferred one of them. There is also a way to convert from "F" to "G" that you can find online, but I would not trust my gunsmithing skill (although they say it's easy).

I haven't owned any EAAs, but they have a mixed reputation. Your safer choice is between the FN and the Beretta, and if you like the trigger reach and pull I would get the Beretta.

P.S. I now have an XD 40, and prefer it. To each his own....Felt recoil is comfortable on the XD, and may actually be slightly lighter on the Px. MUCH easier for me to shoot the XD....

Last edited by Mosin44az; December 2, 2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old December 2, 2010, 01:01 PM   #6
iMagUdspEllr

I don't know anything about EAA. I do like what Beretta was going for with the PX4 but you have to keep in mind that you can't carry it cocked and locked. When you put the safety on it decocks itself. I'm not a fan of that. The FN can be carried in any configuration you want. The FN is a little lighter than the Beretta but the Beretta has less recoil. Its a close call if you don't care about carrying cocked and locked.
Old December 3, 2010, 08:23 PM   #7
charlie73

wow that is some really good info..i dont mind my first shot being in DA but there is somthing nice about doing any combination, I will be shooting them both next week..I just wish I could get info on the p carry..maybe thats a bad sign that nobody has one..well thanks guys
Old December 4, 2010, 02:33 AM   #8
testuser

Hi there,

Well, I picked up the used FNP-40 the other day for a steal. It looked just about brand new, but after very careful inspection at home it had some common issues reported on the web. Small crack in housing around fire control parts and weak mag springs.

These were problems with a few FNP pistols and probably why such as nice pistol was traded in for so little. I read on the web that the fire control housing was redesigned later to solve the cracking problem. They should all be addressed on the FNX, I'd think.

I thought I might return the pistol, since the shop I bought it from has a 30-day no question return on used pistols with problems, but...

I called FN and their customer service is nothing short of great. I notified them that the pistol was used. They didn't care and treated me as if I had bought the weapon new.

They'll pay for you to send the pistol in and will fix it. They stand behind their product, whether you're the original buyer or not. Mine is on the way to their repair center as we speak. Point is, if your pistol does have a problem, then FN will provide you good service.

Contrast that with my Witness. I have that in for a loose safety. It took two weeks for them to get back to the gunsmith and refused to pay for shipping unless I could come up with a recipe proving that I bought the gun new, which I did. Can't find the receipt, though, so I'm paying $50 at least for shipping too and from EAA in Florida.

My EAA has about 200 rounds through it. Again, purchased new by me.

That's the difference between a company that stands behind it's product and one that just imports a pistol from another company.

As I result I would definitely by another FN, but I won't buy another Witness, even if it comes back perfectly repaired. I like to reward good customer service!

Last edited by testuser; December 4, 2010 at 02:52 AM.

Tags
eaa p carry , fnx40 , px4