The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 8, 1999, 05:28 AM   #1
Bruce from West Oz

For those who don't know, my only centrefire is a Hornet.

OK, so I'd heard that you could get 3000 fps with reloads and the Hornady 40gr V-Max. From the Hornady website, the load is 12.1 gr of Win 296.

Everyone at the Rifle Club said, "Forget it -- accuarcy will go way to hell. You want those velocities, buy a .222" (But I can't get a licence for one of them ;()

So I made up 6 weighed handloads.

Belted 'em downrange off the sandbags at 50 metres (on a lousy day -- very windy -- and guess what -- they actually touched each other!!!!

I'm rapt!! This out of a stock standard 1979 model Savage!! And the scope is an "el-cheapo" Tasco Lumina 3-9 power which, incidentally, is a damn sight clearer than my Tasco 6-24 power High Country!!

Don't expect any comments, but I'm a happy camper!! And especially after checking the brass VERY carefully and finding it only shows moderate pressure signs (slight flattening of primer and very slight cratering around pin).

I can't ask any more of a 65-year-old cartridge design!!!

Bruce (Loves His Hornet) from Western Australia
Old August 9, 1999, 08:13 PM   #2
HankL

Bruce, I have a Browning LoWall might have to give her a try. If you would like to come up and pull the trigger you are very welcome!
Hank at 32.something North Latitude
Old August 9, 1999, 08:32 PM   #3
Sportster

Bruce,I thought they outlawed all firearms there? Do they allow shooting at ranges???
Old August 10, 1999, 05:41 PM   #4
Big Bunny

Careful.....you could be next in the international world wide scheme - OK buddies!?
Bruce...get a real gun... like a Rem222 !!

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old August 12, 1999, 07:50 AM   #5
Bruce from West Oz

Hank L:

Ahhh .... yes, point well taken. Guess I was too excited (at 49 years of age!!) to make the usual disclaimer about "works safely in my rifle but suggest you start 15% lower and work up, checking carefully for pressure signs" etc. My old Savage is very robust, very tight and with minimal headspace (less than approx. 600 rounds through it). But your Browning ..... as I say, point taken.

Sportster:
No, mate, we're still "allowed" to own certain firearms -- the authorities just restrict the type, the reasons for owning it, what you can do with, and how you have to store it -- that's all. (BTW, all semi-autos, even .22LR, are "prohibited weapons". And I only have a Hornet 'cause that's the largest centrefire I can get an "open" licence for.) Range shooting is one of the very few legitimate reasons for owning a firearm -- but if that's your only reason, you are prohibited from using it anywhere else, not even for hunting.

Big Bunny:
That writing style ... could it be ... naah ... probably not ... R A? Bunz?

I would love a Rem 222 -- big Rem fan myself. Believe they and Savage make what I call honest firearms. Just need letters from landowners with a few more thousand acres......

B
Old August 12, 1999, 08:11 AM   #6
Bruce from West Oz

Hank L:

I just realised I may have misread your comments. I thought you were saying that the load I mentioned might not be safe in a LoWall, so I could pull the trigger.

But on rereading, you could also have just been extending a kind invitation, in which case I'm embarrassed. (How do you do a "blushing" emoticon?? o|o)

32North??? Hmmm, fair way up -- on a line through Pennsylvania perhaps???? Let's see, a return airfare to LA, about $1800, plus another $500 from there for internal flights, plus accom., food, booze , "goodies" from gun stores -- about $5000 for me and the same for Di -- hmmmm, might have to pass on that one for a while ....

Cheers
Bruce
Old August 12, 1999, 11:41 AM   #7
BigG

Bruce, you got a good 'un!!

------------------
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage
backs up... Yankee Doodle

Old August 12, 1999, 01:45 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Bruce,

The .22 Hornet is a pretty good round. It has suffered from use in some rather indifferent rifles (some were reworked .22 LRs) which forces the factories to keep their loads to the anemic level. The newer cases are strong and, as you found, can be loaded to respectable levels in a good rifle.

Jim
Old August 12, 1999, 09:16 PM   #9
Big Bunny

Yes***Brucie Baby***Its me, Rob A*** . Reminds me of a morse code "Hand"!>>>I will have to watch my step as you are a senior member now ! What a great WSite this is, full of genuine committed people, wish we had their type in OZ...perhaps we do!

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old August 12, 1999, 10:24 PM   #10
HankL

Bruce, 32 North is no way that far up. You will still most likely have to fly through Atlanta Georgia though!
Hank