The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 27, 1999, 12:09 PM   #1
Joe Portale

I am cross posting this with pistolcraft. I just picked up a Browning BDA. It fits well in my hand, the price was right and I like the way the gun looked. I trust the gunstore that I bought it from so I'm comfortable that way. What can be said about this pistol. I know that it never really caught on. Is there anything that I should be aware of? Comments and opinions good and bad are welcome.

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder
Tucson, Arizona territory

Old August 27, 1999, 12:25 PM   #2
Joe Portale

Correction:

The gun that I was asking about is a Browning BDM. Sorry. These brain cramps are embarassing.

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder

Old August 27, 1999, 11:17 PM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Joe, I know a couple of my regulars own them and seem to love them. A good friend and shooting buddy in Louisville owned one, still does I guess, but in a two year period he put every factory and hand load you can think of through that pistol and I don't know of it ever failing. As you said, the BDM is a good pistol that just never caught on. George
Old August 28, 1999, 02:46 PM   #4
Joe Portale

George,

Thanks for the reply. I took the BDM to the range and am very pleased with it. I put about three hundred rounds of different types through it with no problem. I went from 100 grain FMJ speedsters to 147 lead. The gun just ate everything and would not fail. I tried everything I knew to get it to jam and she refused. I even fired it upside down and it cycled no problem. This is a really nice pistol. The magazines are a bit pricey at $70 a pop. Does anyone know of an after market magazine maker for this thing?

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder