The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 27, 2020, 01:17 PM   #26
ballisticxlr

Because a blunt nosed bulldog is always a good friend to have around even if you don't necessarily need it at any point in time.

Thread title sounds like it's an AR/AK pistol thread. /flamesuiton
Old November 27, 2020, 01:43 PM   #27
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreyzhorse View Post
Get yourself a dedicated gun belt and you can solve at least one of your "problems" with that gun.

Otherwise, it's a beautiful gun. Everyone needs a .44 mag. They are a hell of a lot of fun to shoot, at least for a bit.
Actually, I have a Sam Browne belt that I have added (made myself)the cross-over strap. I have also made a Jorden-type, steel reinforced holster. One of the issues is not that it is too heavy, but that I am now too old (77) to carry that weight for long even with a good weight distribution system. At my age and state of health, a S&W M36 Chief's Special in a Bianchi pocket holster is about all I can handle.

Last edited by dahermit; November 27, 2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old November 27, 2020, 04:33 PM   #28
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticxlr View Post
Because a blunt nosed bulldog is always a good friend to have around even if you don't necessarily need it at any point in time.

Thread title sounds like it's an AR/AK pistol thread. /flamesuiton
See post number 27...assumptions are wrong more than they are right.
Old November 29, 2020, 09:02 AM   #29
DT Guy

What's wrong with owning it just because it's beautiful.

Although a gun can be a useful tool, they can also simply be admired for their precision, design and beauty. What 'use' is an oil painting?

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old November 29, 2020, 11:28 AM   #30
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT Guy View Post
What's wrong with owning it just because it's beautiful.

Although a gun can be a useful tool, they can also simply be admired for their precision, design and beauty. What 'use' is an oil painting?

Larry
I thought I stressed that its "use" as a "fun" gun...I don't sit around admiring it (well, maybe a little), I shoot it for fun...and to perforate 55 gallon steel drums to make breathing holes for fire barrels.
Old December 6, 2020, 08:07 PM   #31
Grizzly2

I saw one of those years ago in a used display and though wow, but what would I actually use it for. Fun, I know - now. But then, money had to be more practically spent.

I share your thoughts. Last year I ran into a Rossi 720, similar to a Smith, lighter, in stainless with adj sights and also a 5 shot, but even at about 30 ounces I could tell it would be too heavy for every day/all day carry. What a shame, and yours, having it all over the Rossi is even sadder that it can't be a carry gun. But still in all, I'm glad you can still enjoy it as a fun gun. I wish I'd bought the Rossi just for a fun gun even though it didn't have the great looks of yours.

So instead, I too carry an old stainless Undercover or an old blue Bulldog in 44 Special and enjoy both for what they are in my latter years. At least they have been factory repaired and given a nice polish and the other polished and reblued to give them both a little bit of lustre to enjoy.
Old December 6, 2020, 11:30 PM   #32
BourbonCowboy

Quote:
I have a S&W 696 (.44 Special), three-inch barrel that is apparently not ideal for anything. It is too heavy for comfortable concealed carry (unless you want it to pull your pants down) and being an L frame instead of an N frame, it only holds five rounds. The three-inch barrel is too short for hunting (at least 4 inch for hunting, 6 inch being better).

That begs the question: Just why did I buy it then?
This sounds familiar.

I've got a Taurus Judge, three-inch barrel that is apparently not ideal for anything. It is too heavy for comfortable concealed carry (unless you want it to pull your pants down)...it only holds five rounds. The three-inch barrel is too short for hunting (at least 4 inch for hunting, 6 inch being better).

That begs the question: Just why did I buy it then?

It certainly wasn't because of looks. I bought it because it's a helluva lot of fun to shoot and makes a pretty decent nightstand gun. The naysayers keep telling me that it's a terrible choice for home/self defense. I just invite them to let me shoot them with it, just once, and they might change their minds. No takers so far.