The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 26, 2020, 11:32 AM   #26
Drm50

I like something a little smaller than 44cal. I have found at the end of the week when I look back at all the bad guys I had to shoot 44 was over kill and makes unnecessary mess to clean up.
Old November 26, 2020, 12:22 PM   #27
Mr.RevolverGuy

Now that is a valid point LOL.

Though remember do it all round

I can't stop laughing.
Old November 26, 2020, 12:25 PM   #28
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
I like something a little smaller than 44cal. I have found at the end of the week when I look back at all the bad guys I had to shoot 44 was over kill and makes unnecessary mess to clean up.
when you rate you get people to do the clean up for you.
Old November 26, 2020, 05:02 PM   #29
Stophel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RevolverGuy View Post
Stophel

A good belt and holster works miracles -- I agree.

What do you carry your 27 in?
Right now, just an old Hunter 1100. Eventually, I'll get around to making a new holster, but I have to do one for my M&P first.

I am NOT concerned with total concealment. My shirt pulled out over it is sufficient for my purposes.
Old November 26, 2020, 10:39 PM   #30
Sanch

The Model 29 is a heavy, bulky beast.

.44 Rem Mag is definitively diminishing returns for self-defense. The .44 Special is an excellent self-defense cartridge. Either way, it's heavy, bulky, limited to six rounds, and it takes too long to reload another six. On top of that, you'll have to take your eyes off of a criminal who's putting rounds on you to reload it.

If I were going to carry a revolver for self-defense, it would be a Model 60.

There are too many excellent quality semis on the market to make a revolver a wise self-defense choice. Check out Springfield Armory's Hellcat: https://www.springfield-armory.com/h...eries-handguns

I've read that a copy of the Hellcat endured a 20,000+ round torture test without a single malfunction. I doubt whether many revolvers could do that.
Old December 19, 2020, 08:59 PM   #31
smee78

While I do like my 629MG, I love my 625MG! what's not to like about a 4" N frame and a set of Ahrends grips.
Old December 19, 2020, 10:23 PM   #32
Mr.RevolverGuy

A Mountain Gun My Holy Grail
Old December 20, 2020, 05:58 PM   #33
rclark

Another one of those 'personal opinion' threads . Not sure if I even know what a 629, 29, 27 k, n etc. is.... But...

I do know what I use for my CC revolver/caliber, what I open carry for the self defence woods gun, and what I would use for hunting if I was into that..... . Somehow none of the above mentioned guns come to mind .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old December 20, 2020, 06:05 PM   #34
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
The Model 29 is a heavy, bulky beast.

.44 Rem Mag is definitively diminishing returns for self-defense. The .44 Special is an excellent self-defense cartridge. Either way, it's heavy, bulky, limited to six rounds, and it takes too long to reload another six. On top of that, you'll have to take your eyes off of a criminal who's putting rounds on you to reload it.

If I were going to carry a revolver for self-defense, it would be a Model 60.

There are too many excellent quality semis on the market to make a revolver a wise self-defense choice. Check out Springfield Armory's Hellcat: https://www.springfield-armory.com/h...eries-handguns

I've read that a copy of the Hellcat endured a 20,000+ round torture test without a single malfunction. I doubt whether many revolvers could do that.
you don't have to take your eyes off of a bad guy to reload unless you plan on shooting six rounds in the dirt or something, which makes no sense for you to say the model 60 is your preferred. you'll just shoot 5 rounds into the dirt with that one.

next, you don't have to look at a modern D/A revolver to reload it. where did you get your training?
Old December 20, 2020, 08:11 PM   #35
mrt949

Over The Years I Owned A Few 3 Super Black Hawks 2 Red hawks 7.5" ,5.5 "
Just For WOODS CARRY
Old December 21, 2020, 09:09 PM   #36
Nanuk

Quote:
How many times you plan on missing?

Define too long? With speed loaders a trained shooter can reload pretty fast. Granted this is Jerry with moons.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FbUMqoyjDw&t=188s
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 22, 2020, 10:11 AM   #37
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have a number of revolvers that I consider to be perfect defensive revolvers...

At the top of the heap is the S&W Model 19.

A little farther down is my Model 042 Centennial snub, my primary carry gun.

Then there's my Model 58 in .41 Mag.

Then there's my Model 25-5 in .45 Long.

Or my Colt Official Police in .38 Special.

I'd even throw in my Colt or my S&Ws in .32-20...

And the list goes on and on.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 22, 2020, 10:52 AM   #38
pete2

If I was gonna pack an N Frame it would be my 625JM, 45ACP, less recoil than the 629, weighs considerably less than the 629, less likely to shoot thru your house and the neighbors. Fast to reload with moon clips if you miss a lot.
On another note, an N Frame fits my hand very well with the right grips. The new N Frame has a round butt and the grips can be smaller than the Square frame of the older guns. It still doesn't beat the K or L frame for a defensive handgun.
Old December 22, 2020, 10:59 AM   #39
Mike Irwin
Staff

"If I was gonna pack an N Frame it would be my 625JM, 45ACP,"

Oh hell, I forgot my Model of 1917 Brazilian copy...

That's on the list, too.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 22, 2020, 09:07 PM   #40
Mr.RevolverGuy

I think Mike has a N-Frame love affair
Old December 22, 2020, 09:44 PM   #41
zplinker

For years, my 'carry gun' was a 6 1/2" 29, loaded with 180 gr. hp's. Not that I was in love with that gun, I just didn't have anything better suited for carry! Going across town late at night as I always had to, I was worried about having to use it. The collateral damage could have been pretty bad.
Old December 23, 2020, 01:30 AM   #42
bamaranger

MOST??????

A baited claim, but I would agree the .44mag cartridge is versatile and the right .44 mag revolver is too. But a 6" N-frame is not the right answer. Far too bulky and heavy. Carry one much, for very long, very far and most will quickly agree. Better is the 4" Mountain Gun, or the newer 5-shot L-frame. For SD use, .44SPL will have to get the nod, as magnum cartridges, all up, are too much flash, bang, and recoil.

In a carbine, the .44mag makes a good woods gun, but the rainbow trajectory is a liability much past 100 yds. A .308 carbine equally as useful, far better trajectory, more horsepower and plain superior in a long gun.
Old December 23, 2020, 01:33 AM   #43
bamaranger

SD

My favorite self defense revolver.........likely a 4" M66.
Old December 23, 2020, 02:24 PM   #44
Mike Irwin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RevolverGuy View Post
I think Mike has a N-Frame love affair
I love all of my Smith & Wesson equally...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old December 23, 2020, 05:28 PM   #45
Drm50

I have a few S&W revolvers, most 6”-6.5” barrels & 8/38”. I only dabble in P&R era guns. I don’t shoot magnum loads in my S&Ws. Hunt with Ruger SBH. Point is I’ve been sold on S&W revolvers for better than 50. Yrs. Don’t want to carry one because of weight and bulk. I trust them completely as dependable and accurate. Just bought Colt 1911 45acp for social problems. How ever if I did carry one it would be 27 or 24. The tapered barrels balance better for me.