The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 11, 2020, 09:05 AM   #1
Logs

OnX Hunting App

My hunting buddy has used OnX for years, but I just signed up myself. My hunting property in Central Ky has terrible reception and the app has really nice off line maps. Anyone else use it?

Old October 11, 2020, 09:24 PM   #2
std7mag

I have it, and use it often.
Zero cell service where i hunt. Still will show you where you are from satalite.
But better with the offline mapping.

People out west use the heck out of it!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old October 12, 2020, 07:45 AM   #3
Whitlash

I have used OnX Hunt now the past several years and love it. Out here in the west hunting elk you never know what weather will bring you and the tracking works well on offline maps. So to me that’s a great plus getting back to camp after dark. I carry a battery back up just in case so that is also a necessary pack item while using the ap on your phone. To cheap to buy a good gps so this works for me in its absence.
Old October 12, 2020, 09:21 AM   #4
Nathan

Base map is another good alternative...not sure which is better. BaseMap has a layer for Montana block management which was cool.
Old October 12, 2020, 11:36 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

I use OnX to find property owners, but the information is probably only 60-70% reliable. It doesn't even show me as the owner of my own land, only a small piece of it, LOL.
Old October 12, 2020, 01:19 PM   #6
scottycoyote

ive been back and forth between onx and huntstand trying to decide
Old October 12, 2020, 09:39 PM   #7
Logs

You can use a coupon code 'mossyoak' for 20% off if you need to renew OnX. I have never tried huntstand.
Old October 12, 2020, 11:56 PM   #8
jimbob86

You want to lose access to your hunting grounds? Let somebody know where you hunt successfully ..... You want to lose it really fast? Post successes on Social media and have an ap that tracks your every move while hunting.
Old October 13, 2020, 05:11 AM   #9
jmr40

All of those tools are good, but I still prefer a GPS in conjunction with Google Earth. I'd rather save my phone battery to use as a phone on wilderness hunts. I don't need either on back yard hunts.

A decent GPS such as a Garmin 64 series can be found on sale for $200 quite often. The normal price is about $350, but I see them advertised for $200 several times a year at Cabelas and other places. A phone with the capability to run OnX may be $1000+ There are free GPS downloads for most states that provide greater detail. The only state I had to pay for was Colorado @ $80.

I turn my GPS on and leave it on all day. The batteries will last 12-16 hours of use and if they get weak spare batteries don't take up much room in my pack. I can only get 4-6 hours of battery life out of a phone if left on all day and it is a lot harder to recharge in the field.

I carry mine when scouting and hunting. Never needed it to find my way home, but it could be used for that. I use it to record my tracks. I download them onto Google Earth when I get home. Then use that information for future scouting data.

Winston Churchill
Old October 13, 2020, 12:28 PM   #10
Blindstitch

I've used it to find the border of public hunting grounds that weren't as posted. The land owner information in my experience can be 2 or more years out of date. But if someone's owned the property for 5 or so it seems spot on. I have a good amount of public hunting land but debate buying it again. Also works well for fishing in rivers and streams.