The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old July 24, 2020, 06:22 PM   #1
MisterCrabby

A big win for the truth...

... and the little guy. This kid now has more money than he can spend in a
lifetime for standing up for himself and the truth.

Lies are fast but the truth has staying power. These are the same people tell us night after night that violent anarchocommunists are peaceful protesters.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/24/washin...nick-sandmann/
Old July 24, 2020, 08:51 PM   #2
DaleA

Well let me post before this thing gets deleted (legitimately) because it is not gun related.

$250 million SOUNDS like a lot of money to an 18 year old but he better think about his future and get that college degree.

Bill Gates dropped out of college and although that Microsoft thing SEEMS to be going well NOW what's he going to do if it fails??? He's got no college degree and who is going to hire him at his age today???

P.S. The article says they settled the lawsuit. It doesn't mean he gets $250 million. He might only get a tenth of that and after lawyer fees, taxes etc. he might be lucky to have $20 or $30 million and have you priced a new Toyota Corolla lately? I rest my case.
Old July 24, 2020, 08:55 PM   #3
TXAZ

Was glad to see it. The 'media', particularly reporting on guns, and other amendment values has been beyond delinquent.
But most importantly, it sets a precedent that media has to take responsibility for irresponsible reporting.
Now if I'm not mistaken, THere have to be HUNDREDS of gun (non-fact) based articles that ought to be reviewed for similar treatment.

Now if only politicians had to tell the truth or accept (personal) liability for their actions, particularly about the Second Amendment.

(Did that bring it to a gun centric thread?)

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 25, 2020, 02:14 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Discussions in this forum will be centered upon legal issues as they relate to the 2nd Amendment and other Civil Rights. Constitutional law (which would encompass separation of powers, the impairment of contracts clause, the full faith and credit clause, etc., as well as the Bill of Rights) will also be on topic.
This is from the L&CR forum rules "sticky".

Nothing overtly political in in the post or the linked article, so it passes that test, so far.

I remember the issue, the media took single photo, out of context, and made up a story about it that was completely false. He sued. Now some have agreed to settle.

What is the legal or civil right issue to discuss? That the system worked? something else?
Old July 25, 2020, 04:57 AM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Sandmann was defamed by a couple of media outlets. He sued for that, and he won. Good for him. The system worked.

That said, how much of a civil-rights issue is it? More to the point, how much is there really to discuss?

As such, I'm going to close this one.
Closed Thread