The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 17, 2017, 10:09 AM   #51
Laz

Quote:
with .357 you need a fairly long ejector throw. That is one problem with short barrel revolvers and why I consider 3" a minimum
I have largely evolved away from double-action revolvers save for some J-frames and a couple of 2.25 inch SP101s, but it seems to me that the ejector rod on a 3 inch SP101 is exactly the same length as on a 2.25 inch version. I can see it would be an issue for a 1.87 inch J-frame which is likely why .357 inch J-frames all have at least a 2.125 inch barrel (at least I think so). I don't know if longer Smiths have longer rods as I don't own them but I'm sure they do, to a point. I do see the issue in my single-action revolvers with long cases and short throws in barrels below 4.62 inches like Birdshead and Montados. (That's one reason why the stubby 45 acp works so well in short-barreled single-actions: they eject smoothly.)

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old July 17, 2017, 11:51 AM   #52
CDR_Glock

Snub to Short Barrel .357 magnum

I just acquired the Kimber K-6 S3 57 magnum with a six round cylinder. It will replace my Smith & Wesson model 645 shot cylinder.

I like Snubbies but the major problem I have is the limited capacity. The sights are usually limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old July 20, 2017, 05:51 PM   #53
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I just acquired the Kimber K-6 S3 57 magnum with a six round cylinder
With an $1100 MSRP it certainly fits right in the OP's stated price!
Quote:
Just want some cheaper brand ideas that work well. Low budget guns that maintain reliability. Nothing fancy required. Any ideas?
Anybody bother actually reading the first post of a three page thread before they post?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 21, 2017, 09:33 PM   #54
Prof Young

EAA Windicator . . . got one.

I have the EAA Windicator 39special/357. It's only the second 357 I've ever shot and I like it a lot. Seems very reliable and is small enough that one could CC it. See post under Revolvers called Got me a Windicator.

Life is good
Prof Young
Old July 21, 2017, 10:22 PM   #55
Doc Holliday 1950

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I owned a 2" 357 mag EEA Windicator for years. I never had a miss fire and it took 110 gr. 357 mag ammo and any 38 special +P ammo.
As to accuracy, it was super up to 12 yards. Buds has this for $289 in all black.
It holds 6 rounds rather than 5. Problem is that most ranges do not have a 2" EEA 357 revolver to rent. If you want cheap then buy the Windicator.
Just so you know, I am not an expert in revolvers. I only know how it handled when I bought one.
I hope this helps.

Doc
Old July 23, 2017, 01:08 AM   #56
tallball

If a 38 spcl snubby would somehow work, Taurus has been making their Model 85 forever and it has a good reputation. I have owned two and both have been excellent. I am assuming the steel version is rated for +P. I carry mine sometimes and feel confident in it. They are inexpensive.

About two years ago my friend was making a similar decision and chose a Ruger SP101 3" with fixed sights. He found one at a gun show for $320 plus tax. He is very pleased with it.
Old July 23, 2017, 07:25 AM   #57
Nathan

I would think a 3" Ruger GP100 would be a great fit for you. I have a 4" blue model. You might be better off with the 3" fixed sight SS model.

The Ruger 1715 is $586 at Grabagun new. I would think $500 used is possible.

The Ruger 1752 is a better package, imo at $689 though.

With the Rugers, you get a strong as an ox revolver, at a reasonable weight with a good, not great trigger action. I might be selling something off to get in the 1752 market!

Last edited by Nathan; July 23, 2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old July 25, 2017, 11:43 AM   #58
gnystrom

I go with 3" 7 round 686 & 586 revolvers. Both are very accurate at 25 yds. offhand and their weight makes them easy to control.

Old July 26, 2017, 01:07 PM   #59
shootniron

I have the .357's...but I will take my .44spec Bulldog over ANY of them.
Old July 26, 2017, 02:21 PM   #60
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootniron View Post
A .44 Special starts out the same as an expanded .357 anyway, but has much less blast and flash. It's the better snub round, especially with some quality full hardcast wadcutters like the Buffalo Bore "anti personnel" .44 SPC load.
Old July 26, 2017, 02:29 PM   #61
Cheapshooter

Quote:
And at a price point much more in keeping with the original post on this thread than all the $700-$1000 guns being suggested that are the complete opposite of what the OP was looking for.
Keeping with that parameter, and away from the $$$$ glamour guns, some of the top contenders are Taurus 605, EAA Windicator, Charter Arms Mag Pug, or as mentioned go for a bigger hole in the target with the Charter Bulldog.
Heck, for the price of a lot of the guns mentioned the OP could choose two, and some cases close to three from Charter, Taurus, or EAA.
Old July 26, 2017, 10:28 PM   #62
seeker_two

....or Alfa Proj....

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/07/25...roj-revolvers/
Old July 27, 2017, 07:35 AM   #63
Scoits

IMO, price is not the first concern. Reliability and comfort of carry should come first. After all you only pay $$s once but the other is with you evert day. Be patient and carry what you have until you can get comfort and reliability. The S&W 360 pd would be my first choice for what you discribe. For the lady you can load up with 38 +p and use 357s yourself when you carry.
Smith has just put on the market a 360 with an unfluted ss cylinder a less then 15 oz.
The M60 Pro Shop would be my other choice if I wanted a 3" barrel.
Old July 27, 2017, 05:23 PM   #64
thibaultfelix40

In the past few years I have picked up 3 used K frame Smiths at $250 plus shipping and transfer fees. Two are 4 inches and one is 6 inches. They were purposely selected to have pencil tapered barrels. Hacksaws are cheap. The next one I get will have a heavy barrel so I can drill and tap it. There are those that call me Bubba.
Old July 27, 2017, 06:01 PM   #65
Cheapshooter

Quote:
IMO, price is not the first concern. Reliability and comfort of carry should come first.
Yes, however the point of this thread, as ecpressed by the OP, is a suggestion of something not in the line of expensive classic S&W, or Kimber revolvers.
Quote:
Just want some cheaper brand ideas that work well. Low budget guns that maintain reliability. Nothing fancy required. Any ideas?
There are choices in between that offer acceptable reliability without having to break the bank to buy one.
That I believe is what the OP is actually seeking information about.
Old July 27, 2017, 09:33 PM   #66
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Have a Taurus 605 that I paid $299 NIB----I don't shoot it that much but also have never had any problems with it either
-------Metallica
Old July 29, 2017, 06:08 AM   #67
Gray Ghost

Another vote for the SP-101, compact for carrying, durable and certainly can handle .357 or .38 +p. Be sure to practice with it, the trigger always seems heavy to me and takes a few rounds to get used to again.
Old July 29, 2017, 09:17 AM   #68
lee n. field

Quote:
I need some ideas on a DA/SA (no DAO) .357 magnums (or .38+p) I can carry concealed while camping or hiking. It would also be loaded with +p in the house for my girlfriend when I am not there. A short barrel isn't a must. But I don't really want a 4 inch barrel or longer.

I am a big dude and I have carried concealed long enough to know what works where. Just want some cheaper brand ideas that work well. Low budget guns that maintain reliability. Nothing fancy required. Any ideas?
Spending more money will (normally) get you a better and more reliable gun. You're trying to hit a fine line. Cheap enough to be affordable, good enough to be reliable.

I would look for a 2" or 3" SP101. After careful inspection, same thing in a Taurus 605. Used is OK, after close inspection.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 29, 2017, 10:33 AM   #69
Glenn Dee

I'd suggest a fairly available gun. S&W model 13 or 65 round butt with a 3'' barrel. It might require a bit of searching but there are plenty of them out there
Old July 29, 2017, 05:13 PM   #70
Deaf Smith

Just saw a GP100 at gun show with a REAL 2 1/2 barrel!

Yep, just like a S&W 66 Combat Magnum snub! Interesting. With DAO hammer and rounded grips it would be a dandy.

Deaf
Old July 29, 2017, 05:50 PM   #71
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd stay very far away from any Taurus. Sure they're more affordable, but what you save in initial payment you will make up in down time when something like the transfer bar breaks. Taurus knows this is an issue but does nothing to change the metalurgy or heat treatment. On a more minor point, I found it hard to use a speedloader with those huge rubber grips that come on a Taurus. Hard to feed, hard to eject? Short ejector rod? Poor lockwork? Pass.

Like James K suggested, I want a full length ejector rod and if I had to buy new, would lean towards the S&W Model 60 in .357 with a 3" bbl. Just shoot .38 specials in it but it's nice to be able to eject the empties.
Old July 29, 2017, 10:20 PM   #72
thibaultfelix40

I was looking through an auction sight to make sure I had not lied to you about cheap K frame Smiths being readily available. Problem is I found one I couldn't help but bid on. I missed that one but there were several at less than $300. There were a lot for more than that too. I have had Colt's, Rossis, Tauri, Rugers, Glock etc; however I am kinda settled on Smiths now. Hack saws are cheap!