The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 19, 2017, 07:28 PM   #1
disseminator

Feedback on Smith & Wesson Customer Service

As the owner of four M&P Pistols and three Revolvers you could say I'm a bit of a S&W fan. That said I have never dealt with them as a company until recently.

I bought a Model 625 JM revolver a few months ago and after the "new gun smell" wore off, and few hundred rounds downrange, I noticed a few issues with my new gun.

One, I was having some mis-fires in double action mode only. Kind of strange.

Two, the grip was splitting up the rear. That's not good.

Three, the front sight was leaning left and upon closer inspection the machining on top of the barrel was less than perfect and the whole site riser was leaning left, not just the sight itself. I also found that the barrel was over-tightened and not properly indexed against the frame.

Unhappy with these defects and kicking myself for not noticing them before I bought the gun, I put in a call to S&W hoping for the best but fearing I just spent $900 on a crap gun.

After I shared all these discoveries with the nice lady on the phone, I was informed that they would email me a return shipping label and that I should write a note and insert it into the gun case explaining my issues and send it off at their expense. (A nice touch I thought)

So I included in my letter that I think they should replace the grip and the barrel and maybe the firing pin too as I had heard some rumors about short pins to satisfy California (The rep said its not true) being problematic.

I just received my gun back after six weeks.

They fixed it all. New grip, new firing pin, and yes a new barrel that is machined perfectly and installed to the correct position relative to the frame. I think they also tightened the main spring as it seems a little heavier on the hammer pull. They also moved the cylinder a touch closer to the firing pin assembly.

I took it to the range and put a few hundred more through the gun, and it's 100%

I was worried they were gonna say no to a new barrel but it was worry for nothing, they took care of me totally and even paid shipping both ways with tracking.

Pretty happy with my new gun now.

Old June 19, 2017, 07:54 PM   #2
dgludwig

S&W has a well-deserved reputation for good customer service. You can't satisfy everybody but you can make most happy. In my experience, Ruger is another company that has a stellar reputation for treating their customers right.
Old June 20, 2017, 08:15 AM   #3
old bear

I'm very happy that Smith and Wesson resolved your problems, and you are pleased. But, it's rather sad the defective guns are leaving the factory. It appears that quality is no longer "job one" at S&W any longer.
Old June 20, 2017, 09:09 AM   #4
Carmady

Quote:
It appears that quality is no longer "job one" at S&W any longer.
I have the same impression, but I don't think it's just S&W or any other manufacturer in particular.

The market has changed. Demand is so high for firearms that companies have to compete for market share by volume, not quality. If they make less volume of a better product, their profits shrink and they "loose" money.

There's no money in old time craftsmanship. There's no money in feeling proud about doing a good job.

There's a ton of money in little plastic things that rarely get fired.

The firearms manufacturers are there to make money.

They are not there to impress you, me, themselves, or anybody else with their awesome craftsmanship and heirloom quality firearms. They are there to stay in business and make money.

The consumer market is what controls this stuff. "We the People" tell the manufacturers what we want by what we buy. The manufacturers "give the people what they want" or go belly up.

As always, just one worthless opinion.
Old June 20, 2017, 09:13 AM   #5
44caliberkid

I have heard many positive stories about S&W customer service. My problem may have been my dealer sent mine to a warranty station and not back to Springfield. In the mid-80's I bought a new 4" model 686 to be used for LE duty. I retired a 6" Python. Practice was double action shooting at various speeds. The revolver seized up with the hammer halfway back, nothing would move, the fully loaded cylinder wouldn't move or open. I took it back to the dealer, handling it carefully, like a live bomb. He took it in the back and got it popped loose. Empty, you could rapid fire DA just fine. Went back home, loaded it, it fired once then seized up again between the first and second round. I returned it and wanted my money back, but the dealer refused and sent it to a S&W warranty station. A week later it came back. He showed me it would cycle DA (empty) and declared it fixed. Back home, fully loaded, it seized up again. Back to the dealer, insisting on a refund, he would only give me store credit (trade in) as a used gun. I had to settle for that. I should have sent it back to Springfield myself. I question whether it was even sent anywhere to start with.
Old June 20, 2017, 09:36 PM   #6
disseminator

I read these forums enough to see that all manufactures have issues at times. I can live with that even though it is really disappointing. My Dad had a similar experience with a 450 Marlin he bought back in the early 2000's and had to send it back twice.

They eventually got it squared away but it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth and makes one wonder if said firearm is trustworthy.

I'm quite happy with my new gun now and do trust it.

@44caliberkid: yes you should have contacted S&W directly. I'm surprised your dealer didn't suggest it.
Old June 21, 2017, 05:51 AM   #7
Scoits

Bought a M&PR8 AND a 629 . Within 500 rounds the shroud on the MP came loose and was returned. The 629 was a mess to start, felt like someone had poured sand into the trigger mechanism. Called CS and sent the MP back, and it was repaired free of charge. The 629 was a different story, Smith accepted no responsibility and it cost me in the range of $ 300 to get a revolver that was less then 3 months from the factory.

Also both guns were returned via Fed Ex with no notice from S&W that they had been shipped.
Old June 21, 2017, 06:02 AM   #8
Targa

I had to use their CS once for a Bodyguard revolver and I was very happy with it.
Old June 22, 2017, 09:26 PM   #9
18DAI

Their customer service SHOULD be excellent. What with all the practice they get.

I judge a companies product quality on whether or not I have the need to speak to their customer service reps.

With a well built quality product there should be no need to contact them.

Yes every company can produce a lemon. But it appears the current company calling itself S&W owns an orchard. Regards 18DAI
Old June 23, 2017, 07:24 AM   #10
Targa

Quote:
With a well built quality product there should be no need to contact them.
I do agree but with manufacturers as big as S&W, Ruger, etc...and the volume of product they put out its an unrealistic expectation. The next best thing would be to do exactly what S&W does when inevitable flaws rear their ugly head and that is to provide good customer service.
Old June 23, 2017, 07:32 AM   #11
g.willikers

The real test would be how they treat second hand owners of their products that develop flaws.
Most any manufacturer will warrant their products to the original owner to some degree.
The really honorable ones will take care of problems always.
Old June 23, 2017, 08:46 AM   #12
straightshooterjake

Quote:
Originally Posted by disseminator View Post

One, I was having some mis-fires in double action mode only. Kind of strange.
Glad to hear that S&W service took care of you. That is not surprise, but it is still good to hear.

I want to comment about the line quoted above. In double action mode, the hammer does not come back quite as far as it does in single action, so the double action hammer strike is not as strong. It is not uncommon for a revolver that has occasional misfires in double action to be reliable in single action.
Old June 23, 2017, 01:24 PM   #13
Carmady

Quote:
Also both guns were returned via Fed Ex with no notice from S&W that they had been shipped.
Maybe something like this happened...

I just received an email from S&W CS saying that my gun is ready, but has to go to an FFL because the serial numbered part was changed.

I found that worth mentioning because the email was from someone I'd never heard of, just a first and last name, and no mention of S&W. The subject line was just the 7-digit RMA number, with no mention of RMA or S&W. There was also a paperclip icon indicating that the email included attachments.

So I figured it was some scam action or phish stuff, and sent it to "Trash" without reading or permanently deleting it.

Later on I thought the number might be the S&W RMA number, and opened the email, and it was from S&W. They wanted the FFL info.

That's pretty darned lame if you ask me. They could have put a clue in the sender's address or subject line.

Thank God I have Cosmic Powers.
Old June 23, 2017, 06:27 PM   #14
disseminator

Quote:
Glad to hear that S&W service took care of you. That is not surprise, but it is still good to hear.

I want to comment about the line quoted above. In double action mode, the hammer does not come back quite as far as it does in single action, so the double action hammer strike is not as strong. It is not uncommon for a revolver that has occasional misfires in double action to be reliable in single action.
That makes sense actually.

The gun is a bit "stiffer" than before but not so much as to be an issue. I was actually really surprised how easy the double action was originally.
Old June 23, 2017, 09:31 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

"Thank God I have Cosmic Powers."

It also helps to read the whole e-mail.

Jim
Old June 24, 2017, 03:05 AM   #16
Carmady

Quote:
It also helps to read the whole e-mail.
I don't usually open emails from unidentified senders because they might contain a computer virus.

Three days after the gun was delivered to S&W I received an email. The sender column said, "OTC Batch Processing User ID," and the subject column said, "Smith & Wesson item received." Part of its content was, "Your RMA number is xxxxxxx..."

The email they sent yesterday said something like "Gloria Simpson" in the sender column, and "xxxxxxx" in the subject column. That's it, no mention of S&W at all. I opened it because I checked the RMA number from the old email and it matched. There was no reason for me to think that email was anything other than spam before opening it, or checking the RMA number.

I find that very unprofessional, and suspect that the forum user who didn't get the FedEx tracking info may have received similar unidentified emails and deleted them.
Old June 24, 2017, 06:48 PM   #17
disseminator

I agree they could be better on the communication. I called them after they had my gun 5 weeks and they said it was in line for the next week. Then I got a tracking email the next week and wasn't really sure what was happening because I had a bunch of other orders coming that week.

Thankfully I noticed the sender was "SAW" in Massachusetts and put 2 and 2 together.
Old June 26, 2017, 07:28 PM   #18
Kreyzhorse

All makers spit out a lemon now and again, but not all of them stand behind those guns when they do. Glad to see Smith took care of you.
Old July 10, 2017, 03:46 PM   #19
Carmady

Last week a S&W CS guy left me a phone message saying that my gun would be shipped to the FFL soon, and that they would notify me by email so I should keep an eye out for their email.

Last night, Sunday night, the FFL emails me saying he just got a notice that FedEx was going to deliver a package to him today (Monday, that's less than 24 hours notice). The FFL said it might be my revolver since it was coming from Springfield, MA. There was no mention of S&W anywhere.

S&W didn't email me anything.

IMO, that's below average CS.

Last edited by Carmady; July 11, 2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old July 12, 2017, 07:27 AM   #20
Master Blaster

News flash S&W revolvers have never been perfect ever. I have a 629 no dash P&R that had end shake new from the factory. Enough that the cylinder could be pushed forward and make contact with the end of the barrel. I also have a couple of new guns that were/ are perfect. The difference is the speed of manufacture and the amount of QA that is done before the gun leaves the factory. That has varied over time.
Old July 13, 2017, 01:05 PM   #21
DPris
Member Emeritus

Two things:

The firing pins were shortened & the mainspring seats were re-located some years back to pass drop tests.

And S&W does NOT have to send a replacement gun to an FFL. Legally, they CAN ship it to your front door.
Denis
Old July 14, 2017, 07:16 PM   #22
teleshooter

I'm glad to hear the positive experiences with S & W service because they have sent me a label to return my Thompson Center Encore pistol because the hammer will not cock with the action closed.
Old July 14, 2017, 08:07 PM   #23
reynolds357

My experience is that if it don't work, they will fix it. If it works, but does not work like its supposed to, tough luck.