The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 2, 2017, 03:02 PM   #1
Deer hunter88

.35 whelen

Does anyone have any experience with the CVA scout V2 with the ported barrel (muzzle break) chambered in .35 whelen? I've been tossing around the idea of buying one but haven't decided yet.
Old July 2, 2017, 03:41 PM   #2
taylorce1

No experience with that rifle, but the .35 Whelen is a great cartridge. I always found it to be pretty easy to find a decent hand load for. Plus with it's popularity in some states primitive season you have a lot more options in factory ammunition.
Old July 2, 2017, 03:51 PM   #3
jmr40

I don't know anything about the CVA rifles, but my brother and I both experimented with 35 Whelen. In a nutshell you get recoil that equals or exceeds 300 WM depending on bullet weight. A 30-06 loaded with 200-220 gr bullets penetrates deeper at any range, and has more energy than 35 Whelen with 200-225 gr bullets beyond about 100 yards. And does it with less recoil and flatter trajectory. If you shoot bullets heavier than 250 gr in the Whelen you start showing some minor advantage over 30-06.

I understand that some places consider a single shot rifle in 35 Whelen legal for primitive weapons season. If that is the angle you're looking at then it would be a legitimate choice.

But given the option of hunting with a 30-06, 300 magnum, or 35 Whelen I'd take one of the 30 calibers 10 times out of 10. If something in 30 caliber isn't big enough, 35 Whelen ain't enough bigger to matter.

Winston Churchill
Old July 2, 2017, 05:05 PM   #4
stagpanther

Might want to look at 358 win similar performance with a 308 case--very easy to neck up.
Old July 2, 2017, 05:43 PM   #5
Doyle

I shoot a .35 Whelen - but through an Encore platform. I can tell you, the kick is definitely noticeable. I'm personally not a fan of ported barrels. For what little reduction in recoil they give you, they make up for it in increased noise and muzzle blast.
Old July 2, 2017, 05:48 PM   #6
Paul B.

"I don't know anything about the CVA rifles, but my brother and I both experimented with 35 Whelen. In a nutshell you get recoil that equals or exceeds 300 WM depending on bullet weight. A 30-06 loaded with 200-220 gr bullets penetrates deeper at any range, and has more energy than 35 Whelen with 200-225 gr bullets beyond about 100 yards. And does it with less recoil and flatter trajectory. If you shoot bullets heavier than 250 gr in the Whelen you start showing some minor advantage over 30-06.

I understand that some places consider a single shot rifle in 35 Whelen legal for primitive weapons season. If that is the angle you're looking at then it would be a legitimate choice.

But given the option of hunting with a 30-06, 300 magnum, or 35 Whelen I'd take one of the 30 calibers 10 times out of 10. If something in 30 caliber isn't big enough, 35 Whelen ain't enough bigger to matter."

I'm strongly inclined to disagree with you. Rifle weight, fit and bullet choice can make a big difference. I've used the 30-06, .300 Win. Mag. and the Whelen on elk and all work just fine. I've decided on the Whelen for most of my elk hunts. Push a 225 gr, Barnes TSX, Nosler Partion or Acubond to 2600/2700 FPS and you have the same trajectory as a 180 gr. 30-06 plus or minus an inch or so depending on which bullet. I've shot elk from 150 yards to 350 yards with the Barnes bullet and two elk were DRT and three that were hit a bit too far back were stopped on the spot but needed finishers. I have three Whelens and two have the 1 in 16" twist while the custom has a 1 in 14" twist. I would think no problem would arise using a Partition or Accubond in 225 gr. weight. Remington messed up again when loading the cartridge to be suitable for pump and semi-auto rifles. Guess they did not learn from the .280 Rem. Any bullet hat will hit an elk behind the short ribs and exit between the neck ans should certainly has more than enough penetration for anything on the North American continent and most African game as well. I do exclude the dangerous game but think it would work just fine on leopard or lion as weel if the particular country I might be hunting in allowed it.
Paul B.
Old July 2, 2017, 07:09 PM   #7
Doyle

Quote:
That would be Mississippi (where the OP is from) and LA. Single shot, external hammer, .35 caliber and up.
Old July 3, 2017, 06:27 AM   #8
fourbore

Lot of choices in 44mag for a situation like that. No need to suffer a ported gun.
Old July 3, 2017, 06:33 AM   #9
stagpanther

Quote:
Lot of choices in 44mag for a situation like that
+1
Old July 3, 2017, 06:47 AM   #10
Jack O'Conner

I have a CVA rifle in 44 MAG chambering. This is my Florida hog rifle hunting over bait. No problems with fit, finish, function, or accuracy. Good rifle for a fair price.

Jack
Old July 3, 2017, 09:04 AM   #11
Doyle

If MS primitive weapon season is what you are after and you are a handloader, you can load up 180grn projectiles with a mild load and significantly reduce the kick. Even though you loose some B.C. with those shorter loads, you can still reach out farther than you can with other "primitive weapon legal" calibers.
Old July 3, 2017, 11:33 AM   #12
Deer hunter88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
If MS primitive weapon season is what you are after and you are a handloader, you can load up 180grn projectiles with a mild load and significantly reduce the kick. Even though you loose some B.C. with those shorter loads, you can still reach out farther than you can with other "primitive weapon legal" calibers.
I'm limited to factory ammunition because I don't handload, but if I had someone locally that could teach me what I needed to know about handloading then I would buy a reloading kit.
Old July 3, 2017, 11:38 AM   #13
Deer hunter88

Really the only reason I'm considering buying a .35 whelen is because of Mississippi's primitive weapons season, so if I buy a .35 whelen then it will be my primary deer rifle even during regular gun season.
Old July 3, 2017, 01:34 PM   #14
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore
No need to suffer a ported gun.
I'm not a huge fan of muzzlebreaks either, but they do work. However, the CVA Scout .35 Whelen is threaded for the muzzle brake. So you can shoot it with or without if I'm reading the specs correctly.