The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 24, 2017, 01:05 PM   #1
jackstrawIII

CZ 527 Conversion to 6.8 SPC

Guys and gals,

I've decided that I need a CZ 527 chambered in 6.8 SPC. The 527 Carbine is probably my favorite bolt gun, and it's the perfect platform this round.

I've done a bunch of reading elsewhere online and have seen that others have cobbed them together using the 527 in 223 as the base. From what I've seen, here's what it takes:

- Rebarrel the rifle (several companies offer this service)
- Opening the bolt face (I can't find anyone willing to do this for me)

Here's my question, does anyone know of a gunsmith who would be willing to open the bolt face for me? It seems like a simple thing, but everyone I call locally (upstate NY) has never done it and has no interest in trying.

Any ideas? Any reputable smiths I can send this to who would do this for me?

Thanks.
Old October 24, 2017, 07:35 PM   #2
Wyosmith

I have done 7 of them.
It was quite popular when the 6.8 first came out.

You need to get one for a 222 or 223, and then buy the bottom metal for the 7.62X39. The 7.62X39 feeds perfectly with the 6.8SPC.

You simple open up the bolt face and extractor on the 223 bolt to fit the 6.8 Shell.
Re-barrel with a 6.8 barrel, which can be turned down from about any .277 blank or take-off barrel from any bolt action.

I like to make my barrels very slender. If the gap in the barrel channel is too wide for your liking take a walnut dowel and turn it down to the same contour as the old 223 barrel + about .015". Coat it with wood glue or Accra-Glas and press it into the old channel. When it's cured you plane off the top half and now you have a solid walnut forend again, so you can inlet the slimmer barrel and make it look right. I then cut the forend shorter and install an ebony tip. I slim it down all around but be careful on the top flats to not cut into your glue joint. You can make a super light slim rifle doing this.

Of the 7 I have done, 2 were re-stocked completely and 5 were done as outlined above to make the lightest and slimmest rifle you can get. I cut them down in every way so they are as slim as practical but not so skinny as to be weak. The checkering is cut away, but if you like the checkering you can replace it, or have someone do it for you.

If you can't find anyone locally to open up the bolt PM me and I'll help you out.
Old October 25, 2017, 10:02 AM   #3
jackstrawIII

Wyosmith,

Thank you so much for posting, this is exactly the kind of knowledgeable response I was hoping for.

Email sent.
Old October 26, 2017, 02:12 AM   #4
armoredman

Nice! I have considered redoing my 527M into 6.5 Grendel, which is supposed to be quite easy from the 7.62x39mm version. It is such a fun light rifle.
Old October 26, 2017, 10:45 AM   #5
jackstrawIII

Armoredman,

CZ makes a 527 in 6.5G, so no need to mod anything. Wish they made one in 6.8!
Old October 27, 2017, 12:38 AM   #6
armoredman

Yes...they make the full size 527 in Grendel, not the Carbine with iron sights, which is what I want. They did make the first move, so it's promising!

Tags
527 , 6.8 , cz 527 , rebore , rechamber