The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 20, 2011, 05:28 PM   #1
hoytinak

New DHS Course, Active Shooter, What You Can Do

Got this in an email at work and thought some of yall might like it as well. I personally haven't had a chance to look at the course yet so I can't say if it's worth your time or not yet.

Also if someone would like to post the Active Shooter Study Guide (pdf file) please send me your email address and I'll forward it to you so you can post it.

Quote:
The link in this email is to the FEMA website where they have added a new course titled Active Shooter: What You Can Do. I would like all Supervisors, Leads, and Armed First Responders to complete this online course by June 3, 2011.

The course is short but informative and requires a basic 12 question test at the end. Upon completion, a certificate will be emailed for you to print out. Please forward a copy of this to the Branch for the employee’s personnel folder.

Attached is the Active Shooter Study Guide that I printed out for distribution and can be given to each employee who is going to take this course. The Active Shooter Booklet is for your reference.

Response to an Active Shooter Training (Online)

This is a new FREE online training available through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Emergency Management Institute (EMI) at http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/IS907.asp

The training is targeted to reach a broad range of individuals, including executives, managers, employees, and all stakeholders, so they can prepare to respond to an active shooter situation. The course is self-paced and takes about 45 minutes to complete. Upon completion of Active Shooter: What You Can Do, employees and managers will be able to:

• Describe the actions to take when confronted with an active shooter and responding law enforcement officials.
• Recognize potential workplace violence indicators.
• Describe actions to take to prevent and prepare for potential active shooter incidents.
• Describe how to manage the consequences of an active shooter incident.

A certificate from FEMA / Emergency Management Institute will be awarded to participants who complete the course and pass a short final exam. Please forward the link to anyone who might be interested in.
Old May 21, 2011, 02:42 AM   #2
Eagle0711

Seems pretty straight forward. Look for, or create an opportunity to shoot him dead as fast as possible.

If you have no gun, then that creates problems that are difficult to solve while staying alive.
Old May 21, 2011, 10:47 PM   #3
raimius

I am usually pretty serious about active shooter stuff (having lost a friend to one), but that actually made me laugh, Eagle.
Old May 22, 2011, 06:17 AM   #4
smince

Most gun carriers I know could skip to the final and pass without watching the videos.
Old May 22, 2011, 08:01 AM   #5
WC145

I just went to the page and skipped to the final and passed it as smince said. Don't know what my score was because at the end it just tells you that you passed, no numbers. I received an email with my certificate of completion and a congratulatory letter immediately after submitting the necessary info.

I suppose I should go back and actually go through the course now.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old May 22, 2011, 08:06 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC145
I just went to the page and skipped to the final and passed it as smince said. Don't know what my score was because at the end it just tells you that you passed, no numbers. I received an email with my certificate of completion and a congratulatory letter immediately after submitting the necessary info.

I suppose I should go back and actually go through the course now.
That was the case with every "training course" I ever took with DHS/TSA.

Amazingly, there are people who fail... After they go through the material.