The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 14, 2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Spur0701

Can a full crimp cause this FTF FTE?

I've just started reloading 40S&W for a SW40EV. Have been using cast 175 g TC boolits from a Lee mould sized to .401, 5.3 g of Salut (Russian Unique), OAL of 1.135. Am also using a Lee FCD. The first 300 I used a slight crimp (half a turn on the die) and feed and function were fine. With the last 100 I increased the crimp to a full one (one complete turn of the die) and now I'm running into failurers to extract and failure to fully cycle...and the crimp was the only thing I changed....could that be causeing the FTF and FTE?
Old May 14, 2009, 08:55 PM   #2
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. I'm not up with pistol ammo reloading, but if the shell relies on the case mouth to stop in the chamber, excessive crimp might allow the round too far into the chamber. This would stop the firing pin from striking with the correct force/distance of movement, causing a FTF. The increased crimp might cause the case to wedge itself into the chamber causing FTE.
Please note that I could be way off track with these ideas as my experiance is limited to what I have read.
Old May 15, 2009, 01:59 AM   #3
Shoney

It is possible that by increasing the crimp without decreasing the seating depth, that you are "biting" into the lead with the case. This will shave the bullet to the outside of the case just slightly. The lead (which can vary wildly in shape) may extend out over the case or expand more than the diameter of the chamber. This will cause FTF and possibly FTE if it jams in the chamber.

When loading lead bullets for semi-auto pistols, I always seat and then crimp in seperate operations.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111