The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 6, 2013, 10:07 AM   #1
stubbicatt

Accuracy of SKS with or without bayonet?

Anybody ever take the time to compare accuracy of an SKS with its bayonet folded up, to the SKS with the bayonet removed from the bayonet lug, and the cleaning rod removed?

Thanks.
Old June 6, 2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Nephilim-777

No, but wouldn't expect any difference unlike my experience with the Mosin Nagant's.
Old June 6, 2013, 03:07 PM   #3
Slamfire

It is about 6 MOA either way with Chinese ball ammunition.
Old June 6, 2013, 07:54 PM   #4
Bart B.

M1's have a few MOA difference with/without their bayonet attached, so I think any service rifle would do the same. The weight on the muzzle changes the resonant frequency and harmonics of the barreled action which make the bullets leave at a different angle than without it.
Old June 7, 2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Jack O'Conner

The Russian designed SKS carbine is a battle rifle. Do not expect better than 3 inch grouping at 100 yards with the best American made ammo. Commie brands such as WOLF shoot 4 inch groups as a norm.

Jack
Old June 7, 2013, 06:51 PM   #6
tahunua001

Quote:
It is about 6 MOA either way with Chinese ball ammunition.
closer to three in my experience with the bayonet down. I don't know when I shoot for accuracy I shoot off sandbags(lots of them) and people might start lookin funny if they saw a guy behind a pile of sandbags with his bayonet fixed.
Old June 9, 2013, 03:17 AM   #7
okiewita40

My SKS was hit by bubba before I got it. So the entire bayo lug was ground off of it. With silver bear ammo i am keeping between 2-3 moa.
Old June 12, 2013, 08:53 PM   #8
stubbicatt

Thanks guys. Funny thing is I don't recollect ever shooting my present SKS on paper. It is always at other reactive sorts of targets at longer (200 to 300 yard) ranges, sometimes really close at clay pigeons.

Sure is a lot of fun. I wondered.

Some time ago I read a story about a guy who took the entire sleeve with front sight, bayonet, etc., off his SKS. He glass bedded it into a plastic stock of some sort, and installed a very solid scope base, and was getting surprisingly good accuracy from his. I wish I could find that story. When he finished up he had no iron sights at all, but a decent little rifle.

As far as Russian ammo not being entirely accurate, I watched a kid shoot "Hot Shot" brand ammo a few years back out of a WASR10, and he held right at 2 MOA, even to about 400 yards. So I ran some over my chronograph. I no longer remember the velocities, but I do remember that 3 of the 5 shots posted the exact same velocities.
Old June 12, 2013, 09:04 PM   #9
Alabama Shooter

We have one that shoots in the 2 MOA range came without the bayonet. The rest are all 4-6. One of those is also sans bayonet. Figure that is pretty good for length of pipe and some sheet metal stapled to some plywood.
Old June 13, 2013, 03:21 AM   #10
Keg

I have a Chinese made paratrooper model....I bought it at Ammo Depot in Big D..back in the early 90's....It was new in the box for $125....The standard model was $99....Anyway it came without a bayonet....I took it out and shot a couple magazines full at 100 yrds....It surprised me how well it shot..definitely not 4-6 moa.....Anyway have'nt taken it back out since.....
Old June 15, 2013, 04:25 PM   #11
stubbicatt

Ha Keg! I bought my Russian SKS from Mickey at Ammo Depot. Lord, that had to be what, 1992 maybe? He used to let folks shoot at some river bottom land.

Brings back memories.
Old June 15, 2013, 07:16 PM   #12
Boomer58cal

I'll have to test this when I get a chance. My scoped sks(1956 type 56) gets 1.5-2 moa with wolf/hurders/tula ammo. I don't think it'll get any better without hand loads witch I'm about to try. I'll report back what I find.

Boomer
Old June 18, 2013, 09:25 AM   #13
Mobuck

The accuracy of the SKS that I have improved significantly when the poky thing and it's atrocious mounting tabs were removed. I would have taken off the entire front sight base but didn't want to heat it that much.
Old June 18, 2013, 09:39 AM   #14
Magnum Wheel Man

Well... call me bubba

mine has been accurized, & I can really shoot 1 MOA, or just a little under, if I do my part... & that's with spam can ammo, & 1st & 10th hit to the same point of aim...

20 round fixed box, was not 100% reliable, so I went back to the factory fixed 10 rounder & stripper clips... note rear sight is removed, a set of Tech Sights is added... barrel shortened & recrowned, bayonet lug & welded sling loop removed new stock, fully "bedded" etc.

Old June 18, 2013, 01:33 PM   #15
Boomer58cal

3 to 4 inch groups are common with open sights. If you can find a low milage gun like my type 56 and scope it, you'll do better. Mine shoots 1.5 to 2 moa with chreap ammo and about 0.5 moa of that is vertical sting from inconsistant ammo. I'd bet my up and coming hand loads will get me right close to 1 moa.

I'll try testing with and without the bayonet when I test my hand loads.

Boomer
Old June 18, 2013, 08:41 PM   #16
FireForged

The whole bayo or no bayo to effect accuracy is just way over intellectualized.