The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 23, 2011, 07:16 PM   #1
BConklin

Question re: handguns in vehicles in CT

I'm reading all sorts of stuff on the internet but I'm finding conflicting info on this question....maybe somebody here can answer this and point me to the stautes that apply.

If a CT resident has a valid pistol permit and so can legally carry handguns on their person in CT - are they still required to put their handgun into the trunk or a locked container when they're in a motor vehicle? Or can they keep it in the holster on their person instead?
Old March 24, 2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Maleman

A friend of mine asked a cop that question. His answer was that YOU have a permit to carry but your car doesn't. I don't hesitate to carry in the holster in my car. Having said that, I put everything in the trunk when I'm on the way to the range. Multiple guns and lots of ammo.
That was one cops answer. Still not 100% clear but Ct. likes to keep you in the gray zone with gun laws.
Old March 24, 2011, 08:11 AM   #3
BConklin

Thanks for your reply, Maleman.

I guess you're right about CT gunlaws - they are pretty confusing.

I like the one that tells you a carry permit doesn't authorize you to carry where the owner of the property prohibits carrying.
It's often translated to mean it's illegal to carry on property where the owner prohibits it....but that isn't what the law says.
Old March 24, 2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The Connecticut permit is a license to "carry." You can wear your gun in a holster while driving. There is nothing in CT law about locked cases. In fact, even an unlicensed person can "transport" an unloaded firearm without it being locked in a case or in the trunk. The times and places when unlicensed transport are limited, but when it's allowed you can transport in a used brown lunch bag on the seat next to you.

NEVER ask a police officer what the law allows/requires regarding firearms. THEY ... DON'T ... KNOW ... THE ... LAW.
Old March 24, 2011, 11:43 AM   #5
BConklin

Connecticut General Statute 29-35 "Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions"

states as follows:

"transporting a pistol or revolver" means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console[/B]

Last edited by BConklin; March 24, 2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old March 24, 2011, 12:01 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Connecticut General Statute 29-35 "Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions"

states as follows:

"transporting a pistol or revolver" means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console
I sit corrected.

I should have followed my own rule, and read the law before engaging the keyboard. Seems pretty clear to me.
Old March 24, 2011, 07:27 PM   #7
stargazer65

I have a permit. When I carry, the loaded gun stays in my holster on my person whether I'm in a car or walking down the street, there is no difference. There are no special statutes that differentiate between being in a car or not with your carry gun on your body. This is not to be confused with other situations such as hunting rifles, shotguns etc, or transporting guns from place to place, that is a different story.

Now there are places where you cannot carry even with a permit. Such as school property, etc...However, that's a different topic.

Last edited by stargazer65; March 24, 2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old March 24, 2011, 10:58 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BConklin

states as follows:

"transporting a pistol or revolver" means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console[/B]
Ya know, I really should have read the statute before responding the first time. It's really misleading when people quote PART of a statute as if they're giving you the whole story. You left out more than half of the section you quoted from, and the part you left out is the part that allows what I referred to as carrying in a used sandwich bag.

I am NOT quoting the entire section, but ahead of the part you cited can be found the following (from YOUR state's statute):

Quote:
... The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver ... or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the original package in which it was wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business, or to any person removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person's place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person's place of residence or business after the same has been repaired, ...
In short, not all transport in Connecticut requires that the firearm be in the trunk or in a locked container. Which is what I said previously. However, I most certainly misspoke (miswrote?) in saying that Connecticut law doesn't mention locked cases.
Old March 25, 2011, 08:30 AM   #9
BConklin

The specific part of the statute that I cited was all that was needed to illustrate that, contrary to your claim, there actually was wording in the statutes regarding locked containers in motor vehicles.

That's all that I intended to dispute.

The rest of the statute does not make your statement (that there is nothing about locked containers) correct - so I saw no need to cite the entire statute.

Whether the rest of the statute supports your other statements has no bearing on the single point I was trying to make to you.
Old March 25, 2011, 09:44 AM   #10
BConklin

Here's the entire statute in question:

'Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions.
(a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by any parole officer or peace officer of this state, or parole officer or peace officer of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties, or federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent, or to any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined by section 27-103, or of this state, as defined by section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, or to any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser’s residence or place of business, or to any person removing such person’s household goods or effects from one place to another, or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person’s place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person’s place of residence or business after the same has been repaired, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors’ group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. For the purposes of this subsection, “formal pistol or revolver training” means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and “transporting a pistol or revolver” means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.
(b) The holder of a permit issued pursuant to section 29-28 shall carry such permit upon one’s person while carrying such pistol or revolver.'

This clearly allows certain situations in which a person can lawfully carry or transport a pistol or revolver even if that person does not have a valid pistol permit.

BUT - it then limits what can be considered lawful "carrying" and "transporting" in the part I've highlighted - which is the same part I initially cited earlier.

Unless I'm grossly mistaken - this statute prohibits a non-permit holder from transporting a pistol or revolver in a motor vehicle - even if it's in the bag you bought it in from the gun store - unless it's unloaded and put in an area of the car that is not 'readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.'

By that - there's no way I can construe that "The times and places when unlicensed transport are limited, but when it's allowed you can transport in a used brown lunch bag on the seat next to you."

In fact - carrying a firearm that way seems to me to be clearly in violation of the statute we're talking about.

To be clear - the brown paper lunch bag part is OK - as long as it's in the trunk - it's the bit about carrying it on the seat next to you in a motor vehicle that's clearly forbidden as far as I can tell.

My thanks to all who have participated.

Last edited by BConklin; March 25, 2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old March 25, 2011, 11:11 AM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

What about this clause?

Quote:
... The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver ... or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the original package in which it was wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business, ...
Old March 25, 2011, 12:37 PM   #12
BConklin

The way I read it - the wording I've hightlighted is not a "provision" of the subsection.

Rather it's a definition of the phrase "transporting (and, by inference "transportation of") a pistol or revolver" that is spelled out specifically for that subsection and so applies to the entire subsection (29-35) and therefore applies to each instance in subsection 29-35 that such wording appears.

In plain English - I'm convinced that what the statute says is that you can lawfully transport a pistol or revolver without a permit (in the listed situations) as long as you agree that "transporting a pistol or revolver" means that it's unloaded, and if you're in a car, that the pistol or revolver is in the trunk and if you're in a pickup truck or van without a trunk, that it's in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Therefore - if you do not abide by the definition of "transporting a pistol or revolver" as is described in the statute, then you're in violation of the statute.
Old March 31, 2011, 10:12 PM   #13
USAR-VET

Very interesting discussion here. It caught my eye as a co-worker use to live in CT. He mentioned how the laws were cloudy and even said OC was legal, and not legal, at least in the eyes of state and local police. Is this true?? I'm glad I live in a 2nd Amendment friendly state.......
Old April 1, 2011, 07:54 AM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Open carry is legal in CT IF you have a permit. The permit (and the law) does not stipulate concealed only. However, that's the way the police interpret it and try to enforce it. If they can't write you for carry because you have a permit, they write you for disturbing the peace.

Despite the statements of a Conn. state trooper who has posted here to the effect that the State Police only want to enforce the law -- it is the State Police who are pushing the CT legislature to change the law to prohibit open carry even with a permit. This despite the fact that many other states are moving in the opposite direction and adopting Constitutional carry.
Old April 1, 2011, 10:33 AM   #15
USAR-VET

QUOTE: "Open carry is legal in CT IF you have a permit. The permit (and the law) does not stipulate concealed only. However, that's the way the police interpret it and try to enforce it. If they can't write you for carry because you have a permit, they write you for disturbing the peace.

Despite the statements of a Conn. state trooper who has posted here to the effect that the State Police only want to enforce the law -- it is the State Police who are pushing the CT legislature to change the law to prohibit open carry even with a permit. This despite the fact that many other states are moving in the opposite direction and adopting Constitutional carry."

Sooo, it's legal BUT the SP don't really like it (OC) and will arrest you for DTP if your caught OC'ing. Wow, and this is 'the home of the free'?? Glad I live in an area where your rights aren't trampled on.............