The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2010, 10:50 PM   #1
ScottRiqui

Do I need a faster-burning powder?

So far, I've tried Unique and Power Pistol for my .40 S&W (Springfield EMP with a 3" barrel). I like the Power Pistol (seems a lot cleaner than the Unique), but it gives a rather large, bright muzzle flash, which leads me to believe not all of the powder is burning by the time it leaves the barrel.

Is there a list out there that ranks powder by burning speed, or if not, does anyone know of a good powder for a short-barreled .40?

Thanks,
Scott
Old January 27, 2010, 11:39 PM   #2
PCJim

Scott, if you perform a Google search for "powder burn rate chart", you'll find numerous references.

As for 40S&W powder, I just began reloading that caliber myself having stayed away from it for years. I have been using W231 very successfully, but will try some others to determine which ones I feel are best for my loads.
Old January 27, 2010, 11:56 PM   #3
ScottRiqui

Thanks for the tip on the burn rate chart. Also, let me know what you think of the 231 - that was going to be the next powder I try.
Old January 28, 2010, 12:49 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Muzzle flash isn't all unburned powder. In fact, it's often not unburned powder at all, but superheated gases forming plasma at the muzzle.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 28, 2010, 07:33 AM   #5
Uncle Buck

Mike, Thanks for that info. All the reloaders I know around here, or people that shoot reloads (eight if my counting is correct) have always told me that it was unburnt powder that caused this.

I remember as a kid when we shot black powder sometimes we would lay a white sheet (without moms knowledge) on the ground in front of what we shot and you could find unburnt powder on it, or burn marks. This was when we put just a wee bit too much powder in it. Of course now I know there is a difference between black powder and the stuff I use now-a-days.

I always assumed it was unburnt powder that caused the long muzzle flash and reduced my loads.
Old January 28, 2010, 07:56 AM   #6
Jim243

Yes there are powder burn charts at most powder mfg sites, I am not sure how helpfull they are since they only list the order of the powder and not really any information on the burn rate.

I stopped using Power Pistol for my 40s because it SEEMS to be a slower burning powder and gives a real snappy recoil on my 3 inch PT140. Went back to W231 powder at the starting load for 155 JHP bullets and seems to work out real well, only thing I will load for my 3 inch 40 now. It's going to depend on the recoil spring in your gun as to how much powder to use, but it does take less powder to push the bullet out of a 3 inch that a 4 inch barrel. But you will lose range and distance with less powder. But then again you will lose range and distance with a 2 or 3 inch barrel over a 4 or 5 inch barrel anyways. If the recoil is manageable then leave your load alone, most short barrel pistols and revolvers are going to throw a orange flame out the front anyways, just the nature of the beast. If recoil is the issure than try the starting load from your book.

Jim
Old January 28, 2010, 10:02 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Most people assume that it is unburned powder, because, like you, they often find unburned powder in the gun or on the ground.

It's a logical assumption to make, and it MIGHT well be the case that burning powder is at least partially to blame.

Also, most people tend to not understand plasma, thinking that it can only form at extremely high temperatures and pressures, such as in the sun. Fact is, plasmas can be formed at very low pressures and temperatures (relatively).

In fact, most of us produce plasma every day and make it work for us by simply turning on a fluorescent lightbulb.

Old January 28, 2010, 10:34 AM   #8
dfe2240

I've used Bullseye, Unique and Longshot in my .40 cal reloads for my Glock 22 (4.5" barrel). FWIW, I noticed significantly more muzzle flash with Unique than I did with either Bullseye (faster burning) or Longshot (slower burning).
Old January 28, 2010, 03:10 PM   #9
PCJim

I loaded three sets of 10 rounds using W231 beneath some 180gr XTP bullets when I was developing my first loads for a newly acquired P229. They all shot well, however the Chrony indicated the heavier charge had a more consistant velocity (sd ~9.xx). Accuracy was acceptable for all three sets.

I did load another 80 rounds which my son burned thru just the other day. He simply said that he loved the gun - I suppose that also indicates that the ammo worked well.
Old January 28, 2010, 05:01 PM   #10
dwhite

H. Universal

Hodgdon Universal does not flash like Power Pistol and is much cleaner than Unique. Universal covers about the same load range as Unique.

All the Best,
D. White
Old January 28, 2010, 07:23 PM   #11
chunk

AA # 5 or AA # 7 or vhitavouri n-350 or n-340 work well for .40 s&w imo
Old February 16, 2010, 09:22 PM   #12
MR 8x57js

ScottRiqui
What bullet weight are you useing? in the 3 inch barrel i would use a 135 Gr that will give you less recoil. the biggest bullet i would use is a 150 Grainer. the higher you go up in bullet weight the slower the powder your going to need to get it out the barrel thus incressing the recoil,thus makeing a fellow up shot take longer.
Old February 16, 2010, 09:46 PM   #13
Gbro

Mike,

I was told by an old friend that the flash of powder in a flintlock pan is a plasma action that ignites the main charge??
Old February 16, 2010, 10:00 PM   #14
ScottRiqui

Quote:
What bullet weight are you useing? in the 3 inch barrel i would use a 135 Gr that will give you less recoil. the biggest bullet i would use is a 150 Grainer. the higher you go up in bullet weight the slower the powder your going to need to get it out the barrel thus incressing the recoil,thus makeing a fellow up shot take longer.
I've used both 165 gr and 135 gr with the Power Pistol. The recoil was definitely lighter with the 135 gr, but the muzzle flash was about the same. The more I shoot the loads, the less the flash is bothering me and I like Power Pistol in general, so I'll probably continue to use it until my local shop has some W231, and then I'll give that a try.

Thanks,
Scott
Old February 17, 2010, 08:47 AM   #15
WESHOOT2

me and pp (vs "ejecta")

I've found Power Pistol to be the ideal 40 S&W powder EXCEPT for its flash signature.

I don't care, except for certain defense applications, and then I choose a different powder (sorry, secret).
ALL other 40 S&W ammo gets loaded with Power Pistol.

(W231 works great with 200g FMJ and magnum primers in the 40, but only when held to lesser velocities; Bullseye works great under 180g non-lead bullets, but only when held to under 4.2g. Longshot never delivered on its velocity promise).
Old February 17, 2010, 10:15 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

Gbro,

That I do not know for certain.

Old February 17, 2010, 11:08 AM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

On the topic of muzzle flash.... I found this:

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-090.htm

very interesting, and simple too.
Old February 17, 2010, 11:53 AM   #18
RidgwayCO

+1 to Universal.

My shooting buddy bought an M&P in .40 S&W, and then decided the cost of ammo was so high that he should start reloading... My loading manuals seemed to agree that Universal was a good choice in the .40 S&W, so we tried some. After trying the starting load in the Speer #14 for 165gr jacketed bullets (he uses Montana Gold), my buddy declared it "perfect", and has never reloaded anything else for his S&W M&P.

I sort of envy him his ability to not tinker endlessly with a load...
Old February 17, 2010, 01:51 PM   #19
jeffreybehr

H. Universal indeed.

Here's some useful muzzle-flash info.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n27380935/

According to this article, Hodgdon Universal has no muzzle flash. I use it in my .40-cal. and .45 G.A.P PD loads.