The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 30, 2018, 11:08 PM   #1
nnxx

Glock 17 for the first handgun

Hi everyone,
I am looking to buy my first handgun and maybe only handgun for range shooting on the weekends and potentially home defense in the future. People have been recommending Glock 17 as I am a big dude. Since I am in NJ, I can only get Glock 17 10 round. What other handguns would you recommend if you don’t think Glock 17 10 rounds is a very good choice for me?
Thank you.
Old March 31, 2018, 01:04 AM   #2
Mosin44az

It’s a fine choice for what you describe. Not everyone likes the shape of the grip, though that may have improved in the more recent generations.

I think the Glock 19 shoots just as easily, and its more compact size fits the 10 round limit better. See how that fits you.

9mm doesn’t generate much recoil, you won’t feel much with any medium or full/service size pistol.

There are so many good choices it’s easier to tell you what NOT to buy. I recommend avoiding Taurus and Remington, among the common brands.
Old March 31, 2018, 02:08 AM   #3
In The Ten Ring

Limited to 10 rounds, I (personally) would look into a 1911 or Browning Hi Power.
Old March 31, 2018, 03:11 AM   #4
JDBerg

A Glock 17 is a fine choice for a first service pistol intended for range use. I’ve had my Gen3 Glock 17 since 2009 so I can recommend it highly. I think my full-size Gen3 Glock 17 is a slightly better range gun than my compact Gen3 Glock 19.

The firearms law for magazine capacity in New Jersey is the same as here in Colorado, in that you’re limited to 15 round magazines. However you can get 15 round Glock OEM magazines for the Glock 17, I have one, but these are Glock accessory magazines that you have to buy separately. The legal Glock 17 boxed set in NJ and CO has 10 round magazines. The compact Glock 19 boxed set usually has 15 round magazines in the box, but a lot of places here still sell the 10 round magazine Glock 19 boxed sets.

Last edited by JDBerg; March 31, 2018 at 03:17 AM.
Old March 31, 2018, 03:19 AM   #5
Nathan

Smith M&P 2.0 with thumb safety. That safety can be quite valuable during administrative handling....like reholstering.
Old March 31, 2018, 06:39 AM   #6
tallball

That's a good choice for a first SD/range handgun. So is a medium-framed four or six inch 38 or 357 revolver.

I am leaving for the shooting range in an hour or so. Most of the handguns I'm taking with me are ex service pistols or revolvers. If it's good enough for major militaries or police forces, it's probably good enough for me.
Old March 31, 2018, 08:26 AM   #7
Tactical Jackalope

Nice! I gave my Glock 17 to my wife (then girlfriend) with night sights and a Streamlight TLR-1HL for home defense when I used to work security overnight. She wasn't too fond of that job or sleeping alone.

Anyways, Glocks are good to go 95% factory, just change the sights!
Old March 31, 2018, 10:14 AM   #8
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnxx View Post
Hi everyone,
I am looking to buy my first handgun and maybe only handgun for range shooting on the weekends and potentially home defense in the future. People have been recommending Glock 17 as I am a big dude. Since I am in NJ, I can only get Glock 17 10 round. What other handguns would you recommend if you don’t think Glock 17 10 rounds is a very good choice for me?
Thank you.
For range use and general farting around, it should be fine. To me, the 10 round limit is obnoxious.

IIRC, New Jersey also doesn't like hollow point bullets. So, self defense use will be constrained by that.

I'd also be looking at a 1911 in 9mm (if you've got your mind set on 9mm).
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 31, 2018, 11:11 AM   #9
Onward Allusion

If you're limited to 10 rounds, I'd get a Glock 32 and a 9mm conversion barrel for practice. Heck, you could even get a Glock 23 barrel as a drop in as well.

357 Sig has a heck of a lot more energy than 9mm or even 9mm +P.
Old March 31, 2018, 11:30 AM   #10
HighValleyRanch

.357 sig as first handgun? Nah!
I would recommend 9mm because it's way cheaper, is sufficient for SD and you will be able to hone your skills more with it.
Old March 31, 2018, 12:30 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

Don't be in a hurry, and above all don't limit your choice to what "people have been recommending". Do your research as you have started here on TFL.
If you have access to a range that rents guns try as many as you can. If you do not have experience with handguns, take a beginner's class. The time, and money spent on both will be a very good investment.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 31, 2018, 12:33 PM   #12
mr bolo

the GLOCK 17 is a excellent choice, I would highly recommend it also because your a big guy, so the size will fit your hand better than the 19

the G17 is the most widely used model in the world, because of the reliability, simplicity, ease of maintenance , few parts, and they take any ammo you feed it, not picky on ammo like some guns.

and the price, it has a excellent track record, it's been tested and used for over 30 years, a proven design that many others have tried to copy.

I would buy one today
Old March 31, 2018, 02:08 PM   #13
stinkeypete

The 17 is fine so long as you have no intention of serious target shooting, or even a weekly club bullseye league. It’s rugged and reliable, not particularly accurate and there is not a blessed thing you can do about the long mushy horrid triger pull except get some Glock trigger tuning wizard to work it down to simply icky. 9mm is a nice easy chambering.

You might hear about .40 or 10mm. I found the .40 to be ferociously sharp-loud cracking, snap in your grip pistols. Unpleasant. But then, unpleasant to be on the wrong end of one, too!

A full size 1911 in .45 acp set up for target loads... you have to admit, it’s quantum leaps better for shooting paper. It’s a “boom” and “push” if one goes up from 9mm.

Having owned about all this stuff at one point I will say this: I’m glad I tried many of the Glocks. The 19 was my favorite as it was least obnoxious. They all got traded for steel and I never regretted trading a one of them but I am glad I experienced them.

So: solid pistol. See if you can get a used one. And if you can’t hit it in 10... time to take up croquette.
Old March 31, 2018, 06:15 PM   #14
Kvon2

It's definitely a great choice, but as some have mentioned above, it doesn't feel 100% right in everyone's hands. From a function/reliability standpoint they're excellent. I don't own one because I can't hit the broad side of a barn with one
Old March 31, 2018, 06:36 PM   #15
MandolinMan

If at all possible find a range that rents and get in some trigger time with a variety of different handguns. That said, the Glock 17 is a phenomenal pistol, and 9mm is a great caliber. A beginner training class is always a good idea as well.
" The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper
Old March 31, 2018, 07:06 PM   #16
Onward Allusion

Quote:
.357 sig as first handgun? Nah!
I would recommend 9mm because it's way cheaper, is sufficient for SD and you will be able to hone your skills more with it.
357 Sig or 40 S&W for carry and 9mm for practice. Easy enough to do with a 9mm conversion barrel. Why 357 Sig for carry? Because OP said he's limited to 10 round mags. However, I thought the limit is 15 rounds in NJ.
Old March 31, 2018, 07:10 PM   #17
pete2

I prefer a gun with a safety but plenty people shoot Glocks.
Old March 31, 2018, 08:13 PM   #18
kramden

The G17 is an excellent choice. Was my first handgun purchase. Since then I have favored S&W more but wouldn't think of getting rid of my G17.
Old March 31, 2018, 09:11 PM   #19
chris in va

Go to pA and rent a few first. You may find the Glock 17's grip overkill and the grip angle not to your liking. The trigger isn't all that either.

Check out the S&W M&P as suggested, perhaps a CZ?
Old March 31, 2018, 09:43 PM   #20
nnxx

Thank all you guys so much for all the information and sharing personal experience. I will rent more handguns and keep an eye on the Glock 17 before I make a final decision.
Old April 1, 2018, 05:16 AM   #21
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnxx View Post
Thank all you guys so much for all the information and sharing personal experience. I will rent more handguns and keep an eye on the Glock 17 before I make a final decision.
An outstanding decision. We can shoot the breeze all day long about chamberings, capacity, reliability, etc. What we (the other shooters) can't do is tell you how well a gun will fit your hand.

Welcome to TFL!
Old April 1, 2018, 05:47 AM   #22
Brit

If you were able to carry? In NJ (when Hell freezes!) the Glock 19 would be a good choice.
Old April 1, 2018, 08:21 AM   #23
10-96

I noticed on a popular video (----45 Channel) that he laid a G17 and a H&K VP9 next to each other and they are pretty much the same dimensions. The H&K has all sort of replaceable grip inserts that allows you to change the width and backstrap length. I really do like the VP9 and I'm totally OK with the paddle type clip release.

But like others have said- go with what you feel fits you bestest and what feels rightest to you. Good luck and have fun!

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 1, 2018, 08:25 AM   #24
adamBomb

Quote:
Good decision. Keep shooting, renting guns, etc, to find what you really like. All of the major brands are going to be reliable. The worst thing you can do is buy something only to realize you actually don't like it and then need to get another. This is why I have like 10 hand guns lol.

Personally, I prefer a gun with a safety, so no glocks for me. Though this precludes me from joining the glock leg club.
Old April 1, 2018, 08:27 AM   #25
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va:
Go to PA and rent a few first.
I grew up & lived in PA near NJ most of my life and your state just flat out stinks for anything & everything firearms related. I wouldn’t live in a state with a gun control agenda that would not grant me a licence to carry a firearm, but that’s just me. Way better over on the PA side of the river!

Quote:
You may find the Glock 17's grip overkill and the grip angle not to your liking. The trigger isn't all that either.
That’s one opinion, but the Gen4 and the new Gen5 come with replaceable backstraps and beavertail backstraps that (IMHO) fix any issue with the way a Glock points, which is debatable in the first place. I have a Gen3 19 with a Grip Force Adapter and that works for me, but if I had a Gen5 I’d put the medium or large beavertail backstrap on it. It’s definitely worth experimenting with, but most people seem to leave these things just sitting in the box. And the Gen5 trigger is a really good stock Glock trigger, they definitely got the trigger right on these new ones.

Quote:
Check out the S&W M&P as suggested, perhaps a CZ?
Personally, I’d want to test fire a used older M&P before I committed to buying it. IMHO, the new 2.0 full size is a big improvement and I’d go with one of those, you may or may not like that new course grip texture, but a rubber Talon grip does adhere nicely to it. And a full-size CZ is always a great way to go!

Last edited by JDBerg; April 1, 2018 at 08:39 AM.